Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 'more comfy' replacement for my diesel - just want something bigger than the Polo but dont think I can stretch to a PD Bora/Golf and may no longer do the miles to warrant a diesel. Also want a more comfortable ride than my Polo with its Sport suspension.

Anyway, had a look at some 1.6 SE Golf and Boras (52 reg so they are probably the 16v models).

The diesel was a dream on the motorway - what would the 1.6 be like, as they are having to pull a heavy car. I dont tend to cruise at more than 80mph so top end performance is not a requirement.

Will it be OK on the motorway - and would i get 40mpg as the VW brochures say.

Finally, how would an auto impact the speed/mpg. I test drove an auto and it still seemed quite lively (or lively enough for rear world motoring with all the speed cameras around). The auto-box seemed very smooth and offered a relaxing drive.

Any advice appreciated - just dont want to regret the change...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have a 1.6 petrol Golf and it is more than adequate on the motorway... You can drop it down to third until 80mph if you want to overtake quickly... Pulls well in forth gear too and you can be up to 90mph in seconds. If you are just after cruising at 80mph then you will find this engine more than adequate! Tends to get a little slow after 100mph but I've been up to 120mph before. At 80mph I'd say it is quite economical but anything after that and your fuel gauge will fall quicker than your speed rises! lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rye.

What fuel economy do you get around town and also when crusing at 80ish.

Its very rare for me to deliberately drive over 80 - don't want to risk losing my license as I depend on my car to see my son at the weekends (divorced and all that ...).

Also - do you reckon the 1.6 engine has enough power in reserve to handle an auto-box.

My dad's Almera 1.6 Auto seems to be fine on the motorway, but is a much lighter car ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know it may sound crazy, but why dont you look into buying a large rep mobile like, a Peugeot 407 diesel for the motorway. It wont be as nice as a Golf, but its engine would be more suited for motorway use, and it would cost 1/2 the amount of an equivalent golf (even cheaper if you bought it from an auction).

Just a thought...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't do it TigerStyle. I'm hooked on the VW 'thing' - can't even go back to a Seat nomore. I went to a car supermarket and sat in just about every make and model of car. The end result ? Only the Golf/Bora felt 'just right'. Polo is too small and Passat is too big.

Hence its gotta be a Golf or a Bora (my preference is the Bora - seemed to ride and handle much better than a 'standard' Golf).

The 1.6 16v engine seemed to be VERY smooth and free revving which surpised me a little - although could be because I'm now used to a diesel.

My only niggle in my mind is if the power/economy on the 1.6 will be adequate. I'm tired of losing soooo much money changing cars that I want to make the right decision and stick with a car for 2 years (its a very bad habit of mine changing cars every 6 months believe it or not!).

So what do you guys all reckon to the 1.6 ?

ps - I'd know I should go for a 1.8T but car crime and car-jacking here in Bradford is all too prevalant. Its sad, but it's just not worth the stress at the moment.

·
Registered
487 Posts
cruising at 80 at about 4000rpm you get 40ish mpg. after that it drops a lot.

and alos if your gonna get a 1.6 get cruise control DEFINATELY! i cant live without it now :p somehow in a 1.6 the pull from the cruise control is more than you'd get out of slamming the accelerator to the floor!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got a 99 1600 SE which is a 8 valve never had any probs on motorways, at 70-80 itll do 39-43 to the gallon. Puts me in mind of my old 8v mk2 gti power wise.

I "think" the 1600 auto was 8 valve until the end of production. [?]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you may be right Rich. The engine cover on the Auto model i tried said 1.6 SR which I had understood to be the 8v, albeit 102bhp (instead of 105bhp).

Is this a problem or is there very little difference between the 8 and 16v units, esp on an automatic (must admit it seemed smooth to me - but aren't most 1.6 engines 16v nowadays??) ??

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just think the 16v engines are more flexible. They rev nicely, power delivery is good and they're economical. The 8v is an old engine. I could be talking out of the back of my neck but I reckon fuel economy would be much worse with the auto. Disproportionately so if you know what I mean.

When I was first looking at a MKIV ('99/'00) one of the first things I did as well as test drive was check the brochure tech spec for the 1.4 16v and the 1.6 8v. On paper it was the 1.4 which impressed me most. After driving them both it was the 1.4 I bought. It wasn't until later that they brought out the 1.6 16v.

Just noticed that currently you have the same as the other car in our household. To muddy the waters a little further... cracking car! [:D] Plus for ?399 plus VAT you can pop to REVO and... [:D]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me about it Rich. I love my Polo - even without any engine mods its just such a sporty little car to drive. Problem is that it is just too little - esp the boot.

I've been to the car supermarkets 3 times now with all my paperwork to change my car - but I end up turning back and coming home - can't bear to part with the car. Crazy isn't it !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking to spend ?2k on top of the Polo - that's about ?8-8.5k I guess. Bought the Polo for ?8k just 3 months ago - hence a heavy loss. Don't want to make the same mistake again.

You've really got me confused about the Auto - had my heart set on it. Automatic, armrest, cruise control - sounds like a great motorway car ...

Really want a Golf/Bora though ... not Octavia/Leon/Toledo ...

So where is this going Rich ??

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by shamus on 28/12/2004 19:08:52not Octavia

So where is this going Rich ??

You answered your own question. [:D] Sorry about that.

Sorry mate. I didn't mean to throw up all sorts of doubts. This is all my opinion. You're not me. If you want comfy and the auto impressed then fair enough.

I just think that going from something that pulls like a train to an auto 1.6 8v petrol is not a good idea. I'd get bored very quickly. I have this thing about autos on small(ish) engines.

I feel really bad now [:I]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries Rich. I've confused the hell out of myself. Even been thinking of reverting back to a Toledo - will miss the VW interior though - quality just isnt the same.

I might give the automatic a go - with so many speed cameras and mobile units (and unmarked police cars) hardly ever get the chance to exploit my TDi.

Usually its me (75%) or me and my son (90%) in the car hence the power isnt at the top of my list.

As for getting bored - i get bored whatever i have - its a bad habit changing cars. The only thing I do is try and mimise the depreciation. Thats one of the main reasons I went diesel, for the resale values. However, whenever you go for a part exchange, they always have the answers to offer you bottom book. Take it or leave it ....

Would I get bored; would i miss the TDi; would I get annoyed with the mpg.

Perfect car for me would be the Bora/Golf TDi Tiptronic maybe. Let me have a quick browse on the autotrader...

Anyone got any experience of these auto-boxes, reliability wise ???

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 2000 1.6 16v manual, i also do alot of motorway driving as i live in Leicester and study at Coventry Uni, so its about a 60mile round trip, and that includes motorway and town driving!

I find the engine to be fine, just enough power on the motorway, as recently i have only been doin about 70-75mph, no more than 80mph as im looking after the money situation! Insurance isnt bad either too, only group 7 i think!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ive had auto's for about 20 years now, never had a problem with them. Ive got a golf 1.6 auto se 52 reg at the moment, had it since august this year and very pleased with it, as you say it's very smooth to drive and petrol isnt that bad comp to other makes. I get about 25 mpg around town and 35 on the motorway. As i do a lot of miles im thinking of a diesel so i may be changing my car in a few months time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've got a 1.6 2000 edition non-auto. With 16" alloys driving at 70 and never more than 75 I once managed to get 35mpg! Normal motorway use 80ish with bits of town driving c 30mpg driving sensibly. Now with 18" alloys and driving so slowly it hurts get about 25mpg-27mpg tops average across the tank. If I rag it it drops! I'd say if you like speed then the engine needs pushing to get it, but it's never gonna set any world on fire.... but then with those mpg figures maybe there's a problem with mine!? Any theories!?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.