Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
calm down, im talking wheel widths. [:DD]

phoned wheelbase alloys today about a set of wheels im buying in the next month or 2, he says they will come in an 8j width, but doesnt know anything else, so he's phoning the manufacturer to confirm fitment and other sizes.

will a 8j wheel be wide enough to give good grip in the corners and in spirited acceleration? i'll be running 200+ bhp when they go on. i was thinking 215 wide falken 452s on the 8j wheel. will this give pretty good grip and look ok without any tyre "poke"?

also, pics of 215/40/18 tyres on a 8j wheel might make things easier on the looks side of things. [^^]

thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
215's on 8j should give you a little tyre strech, as for grip i cant comment as i dont have falkens or 215's! i've got 8j with 225 michelins pilots and there's plenty of grip with that set up, but no tyre strech!

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, offset of the wheels will be either 40 or 42. but i will be running 15 or 20mm spacers up front and 20 or 30mm spacers out back. so they should be aroundabout flush on the fronts (little poke on the 20mm spacers maybe) and hopefullly flush or a little poke on the rears.

wider seems to be better for grip, especially up front, so hopefully it'll be ok?

jamie, im only after the tiniest of tire stretch, so might be perfect stretch for me [Y]

problem is i need to order the wheels and the tyres in different credit card months, so i need to order one 2mz and the other on monday or tuesday.

soo if i find out 8j is wide enough i can go ahead and buy tyres sunday morning, if not i'll need to wait to find out if the wheels i want come in 8.5jj on monday, then it'll be too late for ordering wheels or tyres in this credit card month.

if only i could afford tyres and the alloys ive wanted for a year in the same credit card bill! [facepalm]

·
Registered
50 Posts
215's on 8j should give you a little tyre strech, as for grip i cant comment as i dont have falkens or 215's! i've got 8j with 225 michelins pilots and there's plenty of grip with that set up, but no tyre strech!
my bad i have 8.5j with 225! [:S]

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
meh!, 225 on the 8j looks perfect for keeping the alloys from stone chips right around the rim and looks pretty good too.

but

215 on the 8j has a nice little stretch that isnt too much.

what do u think? the wheels are about £900 without tyres, so need to be nice to them...

oh and thanks for the stretch link, been there before but totally glazed over 1/2 the sizes, this time round it showed me exactly what im looking for..shame i dono what im looking for!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts