Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking for a while about getting an mp3 player but im not really interested in walking around with it in my ears, What im after is one with big memory so I can can put a lifetimes worth of music on it and use it in my house via the hi-fi and in the car via a hard wire.

Ive been looking at ipods and the nano dosent really have a lot of memory and im not wanting to carry it around so it dosent have to be small but the classic ipod now has video?? Which I dont want?

What would be the best mp3 player for my needs??

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try looking at the Creative Zen players, the Ipod is good but doesn't
have the best sound quality - it is more popular due to marketing
rather than it being a better product.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've got the 4g 40gig iPod - Its class!

I know its not always top in the sound quality tests etc, but I've
never been able to tell the diff when I've compared it with
mates/family's other mp3 players.

It's connectivity, UI and looks are also as good as I could imagine.

When u say "You dont want video" thats not a prob bcause you dont have to use that function!

Id opt for the 60gig 5g iPod and put all my music on there @ 192kpbs - Job jobbed!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am in the process of buying an mp3 player.

I will not get an ipod as I do not want gaps inbetween live tracks and I want to play the mp3 player in my car throuhg the headunit. As such I will get a Sony mp3 player.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Ipods suck but you'd be mad to buy any other HDD based MP3 player for the simple reason that everyone else has one. If you are old enough to remember VHS versus Betamax you'll know what I mean.

Want to connect your creative zen to your ICE, then be prepared to use a cassette adaptor and a cigarette lighter power lead. Not ideal.

Ipods aren't the greatest but they are the only realistic choice.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Guys, dont get suckered in with the "ipod" brand......its just very very clever marketing that makes people think they HAVE to have one.

We supply a range from a company called Lavod (who are one of the largest manufacturers in Tawain) who do a range called the LFA-545.

4 flavours, 5GB, 10GB, 20GB and 40GB. So far out of the 5k we have sold, we have had 2 units back, one that was obviously damaged in transit (thanks TNT) and the other was set to German language (gave it to our German friend and he set it back to english in 1 minute). Has a colour screen and some other little features....

www.lavod.com

and the full range is in stock at www.scan.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk

Pricing on the 5GB at Scan is currently ?104.49 + VAT, 10GB is ?114.99, 20GB is ?125.51 and 40GB is ?154.16

Your call at the end of the day, but the money saved could be spent on the car!!!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Yes it is. The analogy I gave between VHS and BETAMAX is one such example. Similarly 8 track V CC. PC V Mac etc etc.

If you want to be able to get easy connectivity to your car via ICE link, buy add ons for it or even charge it at someone elses house the IPOD is unbeatable. Even though it's a few quid more, technically inferior and I hate the interface I wouldn't buy another HDD based music player for the reasons I outlined.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You cant, but the money you'll save from buying the Ipod will keep you in batteries for a long time.

Like I said, its a personal choice and to be fair on clothes there are only certain brand names that I buy - but thats my thing.

But in IT, there is always something better, something newer, something different.......

If I told you I had a Diamond Rio MP3 player about 8 years ago, and I played with it and said it would never take off until a big name company got behind it, you wouldnt believe me.....but Ive still got said Diamond Rio and it holds about 10 tracks in total!!!!! wooohooo! This was pre "legal" downloads and sort of before Broadband really took off.

·
Banned
774 Posts
I'm sure the Lavod is better than an IPOD, as you probably know they aren't really very good for the money. I just think the IPOD has become so universal that it's the only realistic choice if you want access to peripherals and the other benefits of a device with such market penetration. My first MP3 player was one of the first grey import MPMANs so I agree with your point about the pace of development. In a lot of ways I prefer it to my IPOD, it will certainly outlive Apple's limp offering.

Couldn't see myself bothering with changing batteries around on a long journey either.

Only reason I bought an IPOD was for the ice link connection so I can retain OEM HU's in my cars. It's never even had a set of headphones attached to it!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Enjoying this discussion.  Starting looking at Phatnoise but have now started to think that an iPod is the only way to go in terms of having my music collection in one box in the car. What alternatives are there?

·
Banned
774 Posts
If you want something that will allow you to retain the OEM HU then AFAIK the ipod is your only real alternative to phatnoise. Phatnoise is a better solution for VAG cars than an IPOD I reckon as it usesd standard laptop HDD's and you can have limitless capacity by changing cartridges.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If you want something that will allow you to retain the OEM HU then AFAIK the ipod is your only real alternative to phatnoise. Phatnoise is a better solution for VAG cars than an IPOD I reckon as it usesd standard laptop HDD's and you can have limitless capacity by changing cartridges.
That's what I was thought at first but when I saw some of the problems that others have had using a Phatnoise/MFD combo, I came round to considering a 60GB iPod. A reasonable capacity I would have thought, ease of connectivity and the ability to remove the iPod from the car to use elsewhere if necessary. By the time I get around to doing it, there will probably be 100GB iPods as well [:D]

·
Banned
774 Posts
No space is ever enough. My 60gb ipod is full and I actually have to take stuff off it to make way for newer tracks. MFD is sat nav I presume, I heard about problems with them and didn't fancy the spoken song announcments of phatnoise leaving me with IPOd as the only choice.

ICELINK is a seriously overpriced bit of kit considering what it is and the pathetic build quality but they have you by the short and curlies unfortunately.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The Sony HD3 and HD5 Walkman can be connected to the Gamma or to a Sony HU using a Connects2 adapter.

The Sony mp3 player support Atrac3 or mp3 files. Aparently is has a better sound than the Ipod though this will finally all depend on the car audio setup.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Another choice then, aways good to have options although the Sony units won't have the wide choice of 3rd party peripherals available.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes it's a pity the choices aren't a bit wider.  None of the available options is perfect in my opinion, they all have some kind of compromise or drawback.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pope
The phat noise also has the advantage that you can upgrade the harddrive in the cartridge to a bigger one as it only uses a standard laptop drive, try doing that with a Ipod

1 - 20 of 23 Posts