Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out what I wanted for my car's audio setup, for the last coupla months, although haven't been able to pin down one idea.

Originally I planned on getting a Phatnoise system, but I've decided against that because I'm not too keen on the user interface.

Then in early December, the Mini iPod I ordered for my sister's 21st turned up. This was the first time I have ever used any kind of iPod, and I've got to say I was thoroughly blown away - I'm a gadget/AV nut, but for some strange reason, I never got onto the iPod boat.

Well after doing a bit of research I think an iPod will be the best solution for my car audio problems. I want to get a 4th Gen 40gb iPod; I'll probably get it off eBay.

I don't want to use an FM transmitter as I'm sure the lack of clarity will drive me nuts after a short period of time, so I've been looking into ways to hardwire the unit with the car's headunit. After reading here and elsewhere I think the the Dension Ice Link Plus is the best way to go.

Can somebody point me to companies that sell the Dension kit, or to ICE installers that can supply and fit. (London & South East?)

This site has it for ?99.99:Dension ice>Link Plus for iPod - Volkswagen package

Apparently you need this part as well: Brodit Proclip Volkswagen Golf V 04- Angled mount ?15.00

So the iPod, the Dension VW kit and the Brodit ProClip for the Mk5 - anything else I need?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dunno if the mk5 is any different to the mk4, but when I checked there was no need to buy that extra bit.

With the Dension, you can either order cable to stealth the ipod or get a cradle to mount it on the dash, both are the same price.

I'll get the details of the fellas I spoke to, they were spot on . . .

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 20/01/2005 23:45:09

The brodit clip is worth buying if you don't want to drill holes into your dash to mount the dension ipod cradle.

Aye, rather not drill any holes, think I'll get the Brodit as well.

If I go for the Brodit, should I opt for the dock cable instead of the cradle?

Anyone got any pic's of their Dension/iPod setup? Are there any wires sticking out etc. Aiming for a clean setup [;)]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok gotcha. Which Brodit Proclip did you go for?

Trying to decide where I want to mount it, but can't make up my mind. Angled mount (to the left of the HU), centre mount (over the driver middle air vent) or console mount (near the gears/central console?).

Leaning towards angled mount.

Wish there was a place/site I could get the Ipod, Dension and Brodit all in one go, looks like I'm gonna end up ordering it all seperately [:(]

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have just installed my iPod Mini in to my Mk4 golf with the Dension kit and the Brodit clip, I opted for the side mount clip that sits next to my stereo, angled towards me, the driver. I decided against the air-vent one and didn't like the idea of getting the clip that mounted down by the gearstick. It was pretty simple to install, and I just have one cable (going from the mount to the back of the stereo), that disappears through a hole in the front passenger footwell (where the front console plastic meets the footwell lining.

I'll get some pictures later on, currently at work.. and should be doing some hehe..[:D]

·
Registered
40 Posts
so this works with any version of the Ipod?

and it plugs into the VW headunit and allows it to read Mp3s on the pod at full quality etc?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by aberdeengti on 21/01/2005 09:14:56

I'll get some pictures later on, currently at work.. and should be doing some hehe..[:D]

work? huh wah... oh yea [;)] I consider this research towards a better transportation enviroment leading to higher levels of employee motivation [:p]

Vital stuff [:D]

Would appreciate the pic's mate, cheers [;)]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by JohnGTi on 21/01/2005 09:52:06

so this works with any version of the Ipod?

and it plugs into the VW headunit and allows it to read Mp3s on the pod at full quality etc?

Here's the Spec

Yep works with any version, mini or normal, you can even control the iPod from your headunit [:)] Sound quality depends on the bit rate, and you can even control base/treb settings from the pod.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ordered the Ipod & Dension kit from GHC, should have it latter half of next week (they have to order in the Mk5 HU cable). Also ordered the Brodit Proclip for the Mk5.

I'll report back with pictures once I get it all [;)]

·
Registered
299 Posts
i paid ?1.99 for a cable that plugs in2 the bus output in the back of my headunit and then straight into the top of the ipod or into the back of the dock..then use a mobile phone cradle {approx ?5} that grasps the ipod from each side...job done for under ?10!!!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
where did u get this cable from then? any pics would be great as i'm reluctant to spend ?100 on this!

Quote: posted by mark20vturbo on 22/01/2005 00:30:27

i paid ?1.99 for a cable that plugs in2 the bus output in the back of my headunit and then straight into the top of the ipod or into the back of the dock..then use a mobile phone cradle {approx ?5} that grasps the ipod from each side...job done for under ?10!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts