Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question, but does the HU automatically detect the ipod? Or is there something else I have to press?? On connecting, I do not get any options on the cd screen, where I presume playlist options 1-5 should be visible. Don't get vw logo on the ipod either, just "do not disconnect".

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
None of this is meant to teach you to suck eggs, it's just easier to start at the beginning [:)]

Assuming this is with standard HU (RCD300/500), the iPod is detected as a CD changer.

You need to switch over to CD adn see if it detects it that way [:)]

If it does, CDs 1-5 will be the first five playlists you've got, and CD6 will be the "every song on teh ipod" type playlist [:)]

C

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply[:)]. I have already tried switching to "cd". If unplug/replug I then get "checking" on the HU display then options 1-6 appear, with "no cd" next to each number, then the unit reverts back to radio, if cd pressed again I get "no cd" message. So the HU seems to know that there is something there, but is unable to access the playlist or all songs. [*-)] Ipod remians on do not disconnect mode through out.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Aye get us the type of ipod connection (Dension, or whatever) and we'll try and go from there...

I dont like that whole "Do not disconnect" thing you get - you should get the normal screen when it's playing or doign stuff??

C

PS - not an expert, haven't got an ipod link (yet) [:)]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Connection is factory fit usb connector in armrest. It was ordered as "ipod connection" though I now note there are two types of connector "generic usb" or "ipod specific". Am going to try to get hold of a creative zen later on and see if that works.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am having trouble with my sisters mini and the ipod connection!!!

Having spoke with the company i bought the dension ice link from, they told me to update the operating software on the ipod. You can download the Apple iPod updater http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Step 1:
Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your details along with the operating system your computer uses. Then click the "Download iPod Software Update" Button.

Step 2:
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updater application to your computer.

Step 3:
Run the iPod updater application and s elect "update". Once your iPod has been updated we recommend restoring the factory settings to your iPod by clicking the "restore" button.

Your iPod is now updated. Connect it to your ice>Link Plus and test for correct operation.

FURTHER CHECKS...
If you are still experiencing problems perform a cold reset on the ice>Link by disconnecting it for 15 mins then re-connecting. Next you will need to reset the ice>Link Plus software if the problem persists.

UPDATING Your ice>Link Plus Car Kit Software:
This is achieved by uploading a file to your iPod, this then passes the data to your ice>Link Plus car kit once they are connected together. Read on for details...

To update the software on your Dension ice>Link Plus click the following link or copy & paste it into your browser:

http://install.dension.com/

Step 1:
Click the ice>Link Plus image to enter the ice>Link Plus re-configurator.

Step 2:
Follow the on-screen instructions to download the specific configuration file for your iPod. (Remember to "right button>save" on the config file you require).

Step 3:
Upload the saved config file to your iPod and run it. Select the configuration file in (Browse/Genre/_Config/Menu/Car Interface/CarIf_xxx.mp3). During playback, insert your iPod into the cradle or connect the dock cable depending upon set-up.

As above when the ice>Link Plus has been updated perform another cold reset on the ice>Link Plus by disconnecting it for 15 mins then re-connecting.

Please Note: If you are using a Sony ice>Link Plus with a CD adapter, you will need to download the Sony config file.

i shall be trying this today once i have warmed up from fitting the link to the car

Hope this helps

Tam

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Connection is factory fit usb connector in armrest. It was ordered as "ipod connection" though I now note there are two types of connector "generic usb" or "ipod specific". Am going to try to get hold of a creative zen later on and see if that works.
See Tam's excellent stuff above, however my other question is what iPod have you got?? I know some have got USB and some have got apple connectors on them... I'm getting this worrying feeling from the symptoms you've given above, they've given you a USB-generic, isntead of an iPod connector. This is based on the fact you're getting the big X and "Do Not Disconnect" message when plugged in - as if it's plugged into a computer waiting for an upload, instead of into a connector to your HU [:(]

C

·
Registered
906 Posts
Chris my sisters ivid when plugged in comes up with "Do not disconnect" I have been told that it will always come up with this! Can anyone confirm this please?

We are having trouble updating the ivid at present as the server isn't connecting to apple.

Tam

·
Registered
503 Posts
VW supply 2 types of connector, an iPod and a USB.

The iPod connector can either be the one that is factory fitted in the armrest or the dealer fitted one in the glove-box. I know this is obvious but they will only fit Apple iPods. The writting on the iPod screen should show the track that is being played in a slightly different font and a VW symbol (the scroll wheel is disabled).

The USB connector in the armrest should be able to take any device that stores data with a USB type connector (on the German VW site it looks like a 'plain' memory stick), although the iPod shuffle has a USB type connector I'm not sure if this is compatible. I'm just guessing, but are you trying to connect your iPod to the USB port using the lead that you would normally use to link to your iPod to your computer? This could be causing the problems.

I had the dealer fitted connector (armrest option wasn't available at the time) and have had no problems with play back of music or podcasts (iPod 5G 30Gb).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VW supply 2 types of connector, an iPod and a USB.

The iPod connector can either be the one that is factory fitted in the armrest or the dealer fitted one in the glove-box. I know this is obvious but they will only fit Apple iPods. The writting on the iPod screen should show the track that is being played in a slightly different font and a VW symbol (the scroll wheel is disabled).

The USB connector in the armrest should be able to take any device that stores data with a USB type connector (on the German VW site it looks like a 'plain' memory stick), although the iPod shuffle has a USB type connector I'm not sure if this is compatible. I'm just guessing, but are you trying to connect your iPod to the USB port using the lead that you would normally use to link to your iPod to your computer? This could be causing the problems.

I had the dealer fitted connector (armrest option wasn't available at the time) and have had no problems with play back of music or podcasts (iPod 5G 30Gb).
I'm trying to connect a video ipod purchased in the USA using the standard lead supplied for usb connections, which fits fine ( the car connection is the usb generic connection I think not ipod specific, though I thought the ipod should still work with this). Is there an alternative lead available then?? I don't get the vw logo, just "do not disconnect".I did try a zen media player which also failed to work, although it is fairly old now and may too need a software update. I'll try updating the ipod software as described above and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can't just get a new lead for that as the interface itself is mated into the shelf sitting in the armrest!

Looks like you'll need to buy a USD memory stick to hold all ya music.

I made sure I had the specific Ipod one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My understanding of the USB interface is that its not compatable with the ipod being connected with a USB cable, as the ipod stores is music in an different file structure to say a memory stick all the songs are bundled into folders that have no relation to albums etc. So to play them in any order you need some sort of software to interface with the ipod which the USB interface won't have. You may be able to get it to work however but putting the ipod into disk mode (can be done in itunes) when this is done it will appear in my computer as a removable drive if you them dump 5 directories with the songs straight into this. These won't appear when using the ipod normally however the usb interface may pick these up as they would off a memory stick.

If that doesn't work you either need to get a USB memory stick you can get them cheap from 7dayshop.co.uk or swap for the ipod dock this can be swapped out pretty easily from the armrest.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with DD, an iPod can only be connected to a port which is specifically for ?iPods, you can not connect an iPod to the USB port in the armrest using the USB link cable that's designed for your computer.
If you what to keep the USB port you'll have to buy a device that uses a USB type connector e.g. memory stick.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The writting on the iPod screen should show the track that is being played in a slightly different font and a VW symbol (the scroll wheel is disabled).

<snip>

The USB connector in the armrest should be able to take any device that stores data with a USB type connector (on the German VW site it looks like a 'plain' memory stick), although the iPod shuffle has a USB type connector I'm not sure if this is compatible.
Here's the important bits from above (Rudedog, are you a new worker from a dealer come to help us out?? If so nice one and thank you in advance for your help and guidance!!! [y]). I thought the iPod connector had an iPod style connection (fundamentally different from USB?) hence why it's not quite compatible with all iPods??

Sounds to me like you've got the USB connector instead of the iPod cable (again no expert, but your screen display sounds wrong). If not, something just sounds incorrectly plumbed in [:(]

Tam - if you've got Dension, this should show track detail as normal, not a "Do not disconnect message" when plumbed in from what I've read up on recently (in research before I get one!). If you're getting the DND message, something is not right [:(]. Info read from the Dension site.

C

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can't just get a new lead for that as the interface itself is mated into the shelf sitting in the armrest!

Looks like you'll need to buy a USD memory stick to hold all ya music.

I made sure I had the specific Ipod one.
I thought I had ordered the ipod specific one - my order form clearly states "ipod prep. + front centre armrest". I took delivery of the car a couple of months ago but knew the ipod was coming as an xmas gift so haven't tried it until now. One of the reasons I went for an Ipod is because I was concerned other players may not work with my "ipod" prep!! Until doing some research I wasn't aware that there were two interfaces available. Cue email to dealer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sorry CkB I've no connection to VW, I just love my Mac's and iPods.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought I had ordered the ipod specific one - my order form clearly states "ipod prep. + front centre armrest". I took delivery of the car a couple of months ago but knew the ipod was coming as an xmas gift so haven't tried it until now. One of the reasons I went for an Ipod is because I was concerned other players may not work with my "ipod" prep!! Until doing some research I wasn't aware that there were two interfaces available. Cue email to dealer.
If you've got that on the invoice it is the wrong option that has been supplied, the ipod interface has a cradle the ipod sits in within the armrest similar to the Apple ipod dock there is no cables involved as the connector is at the bottom of the cradle. I would take it back to the garage and get them to order the proper ipod insert for the armrest that can be switched over easily. (If the dealer says otherwise they are talking rubbish it is a 10min job tops)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Chris my sisters ivid when plugged in comes up with "Do not disconnect" I have been told that it will always come up with this! Can anyone confirm this please?

We are having trouble updating the ivid at present as the server isn't connecting to apple.

Tam
Tam, sorry only just spotted this one, missed it the other day, sorry mate [:)]

Hope I'm not confusing matters, as I said i haven't got one yet. However, if the VW one is supposed to be a rebranded/badged Dension equivalent (I've seen that several times on here so I'm basing my answers on that), then the Dension icelink from generation 3 up should show you track info, not the disconnect message? [:)]

I am naturally happy to have my bonfire royally wee'd on though if I'm wrong (I'm laerning and researching myself!) [:)]

C

PS - Apple got royally SCREWED over the Christmas period, I've had a nightmare getting iTunes up and running [:)]

·
Registered
906 Posts

Tam
Tam, sorry only just spotted this one, missed it the other day, sorry mate [:)]

Hope I'm not confusing matters, as I said i haven't got one yet. However, if the VW one is supposed to be a rebranded/badged Dension equivalent (I've seen that several times on here so I'm basing my answers on that), then the Dension icelink from generation 3 up should show you track info, not the disconnect message? [:)]

I am naturally happy to have my bonfire royally wee'd on though if I'm wrong (I'm laerning and researching myself!) [:)]

C

PS - Apple got royally SCREWED over the Christmas period, I've had a nightmare getting iTunes up and running [:)]
Hi Chris

Still not managed to fix my sisters ivid with an update so it can use her link! Apple server was always down, probably because so many people got an ipod for xmas. In the end she wanted it taken out until she had updated her ivid. Hopefully she can get it sorted out soon.

IPOD Direct Car Kit was the company that told me about "Ok to disconnect" always came up so i am not sure about them either.

Have you managed to sort out Itunes? On the itunes forum alot of people are having trouble with itunes too.

Hope you have got everything up and running

Tam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts