Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have my Golf for another month or so before the cooper S arrives....

I have already planned the connection for the mini, its a very easy AUX cable that fits directly into the ipod.

The trouble is, I will have a 4th gen 20gb IPOD for Christmas, however I wont be able to use it in my Golf for a month or so. The main reason why I will have the IPOD is to use it in the car!

I need a quick fix, my options are:

Itrip (can get one for 17pounds if I tell a friend that is in the states today)

Cassette adaptor (bit naff!)

Or is there any other straight cable that pugs into where I have the AUX for the CD changer so I can just plug the IPOD into that... I am not bothered about changing tracks so I dont need the ice link. I can do all that by using the Ipods interface.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If there is no cheap alternative for good sound via the AUX, I will have to go with the Itrip and take a risk!!! eek

Please help!

-David

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Cassette adapter is ok for a temp solution. I have an iTrip and whilst it is OK it is not perfect, IMO get a cheap cassete adapter from the market and wait for the Mini.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The iTrip will cost around 17 quid from the states so i think I will get one... Will have it for the weekend then and prior to Christmas.

I am pleased to hear that yours does work for your golf, gives me a little bit of confidence. Least I have the option to use the iPod in the golf then :) - even though I realise it wont be the best quality, still have the 6 CD changer and 1 CD slot to use also.

They sell for at least 25 pounds on ebay, so I could always flog it when I get the Mini and connect it properly.

Out of interest, which frequency do you find the best.

Also the iTrip means I can invade peoples parties ;-)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I find the far end of the FM bands is best. I tend to bounce around a couple of seetings depending where I am in the country. As well as invading parties you can also get all your mates listening to your music if you park close enough together. When camping on a Hockey Tour last year we had 8 systems pumping out tunes from my iPod.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH NO!!!!!!!!

Got the Itrip working, needed retuning... loaded up the stations on the IPOD then went outside to finish waxing the golf with the IPOD and Itrip in the back pocked and the thing has snapped! thmale phone socket bit snapped off and I can see 3 wires that should be connected :(

So pretty gutted.... I also need to save for another 6 months to buy the mini. So I still need a audio sollution for the IPOD...

Any ideas without costing so much money? I suppose the tape adaptor could be used, but its pretty naff?

There must be a cable from the AUX CD player on the Gamma unit that would go to the Ipod?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i got the 20gb one for christmas as well, my little bro had his with ITrip and it didn't work well at all in the my R so I just bought a cassette adapter today for ?4.99 and it sounds way better. Will look into something more permanent though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am seriously thinking about it....

Would be good to switch from CD changer, to Single CD, to tape, to IPOD.... and have CD quality through the ipod.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
yeah it would be good, why can't someone just make a harness like that which doesn't need you to hack into the wiring etc. mmmm I wonder, thinking cap on

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have to make this work... come on guys, all put your thinking caps on! I am willing to try this.

I was thinking you could use a red and while male lead to 3.5mm jack and just remove the red and white ends, then plug that into the switch?

as you said there must be a way to hook something onto it!

Zugan is on the case too

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just a thought but why do you want to keep the CD guys? If you can run all your stuff through the IPOD surely this does away with the need to keep the CD (just unlpug it)

What about the link the gti fly put into his?

Also I am thinking of getting one of these ITRIP things, oxford see you said it worked ok, but not dubzter - why mate?? My decision to buy an IPOD depends on this ITRIP thingy working. New co. car has no tape, aux or facility to connect 6cd (hence itrip thoughts) Ta.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked ok, FOR 3 DAYS!!!! and even then it needed tweeking... Not recommended. Good for house parties tho.

Flys ice link costs around 129 pounds!

I would like to keep the CD because I am looking for a fix for just 6 months, then I will be selling the car. even if I cut the wires, I will be able to reconnect them [:)]

Also is a very cheap option and will maintain CD quality.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
the itrip my brother had made it just sound like an out of tune radio station, could be because i have a short alloy bee sting, might work ok with a proper antenna

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 28/12/2004 16:49:24

i got the 20gb one for christmas as well, my little bro had his with ITrip and it didn't work well at all in the my R so I just bought a cassette adapter today for ?4.99 and it sounds way better. Will look into something more permanent though.

Out of interest, where did you get your cassette adaptor? I've tried a very old one but couldn't get it working at all in my VW Gamma HU [:(], though that may be because I had no idea how the things actually work anyway [:I]

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i got one from a local white goods retailer (not a big chain). I just plugged it in and popped the cassette into the gamma as you would with a normal one and viola it works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 28/12/2004 19:47:45

i got one from a local white goods retailer (not a big chain). I just plugged it in and popped the cassette into the gamma as you would with a normal one and viola it works.

Thanks! I'll try to find somewhere local to me that will let me test first.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts