Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought an MK4 1.8T and I have upgraded the stereo to an alpine. With this I can plug an Ipod or have direct USB connection to listen to MP3 files.

I just wondered, do any of you plug a portable harddrive into your head units? Am toying wit the idea so wondered if any of you alot do this?

If so do you have any problems? and what harddrive set do you use?

Might be tempted to go this way because you can hold alot of data on a harddrive.

Also do any of you use your IPOD connected to the headunit? if so do you have a holder for the ipod? where is the best place to put in on the dash?

Does anyone have any pictures?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
i use a USB stick (http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/usbflashdrive/integral-2gb-usb-mini-flash-drive-/11978) i create folders on it with names of like the genre of music, it's really easy to navigate through the songs.

Jayson

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used a USB hard drive (120Gb handydrive) on my Kenwood DNX7200 but it took ages for the head unit to read it each time I started the car - around 8 minutes!!! Until that happened you couldn't s elect a track. I now use USB flash drives per Jayson's post above - I have 2 x 16Gb mini keys; they're tiny and I can get my whole music collection on them.

HTH

Martyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I did abit of reserch on this and headunit can't really read large hardrives yet because most pen drives 68 GB or less are FAT 32.

Will go the Ipod or USB pen drive route.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I have just got an Ipod nano 16Gb (the new one) and its great as i use it down the gym then i have run a usb to ipod lead into the armrest so can plug the ipod in then have all the music in the car then [:D]

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Anything that doesn't involve giving money to the biggest organised crime syndicate in the world (Apple of course),so any sort of USB solid state storage devices for me.

Chris.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah been looking at one of those IPods generation 5's. 80GB for like £100 notes... will get one of these when I have some spare money...

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Yeah been looking at one of those IPods generation 5's. 80GB for like £100 notes... will get one of these when I have some spare money...
If you're going to use it as a Walkman as well then a good idea,but I can't believe how many people buy i-Pods just to use in the car when a £5 4Gb flash drive would do the job just as well.

Chris.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread but does any use the parrot bluetooth car stuff thinking of getting one to play all my music through it....pros/cons?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, For me personally it's because I listen to 90mins live house sets. These can range from 250MB to 500MB so a 4GB stick is not that great if you want to put more than 5 sets on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts