Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially opted for an aftermarket cd/mp3 changer with the vw adaptor for my mk 5 golf but after a few minutes the sound via the changer would become very low..after speaking to the tech guys it seems the adaptor is not compatible with the sat nav units so they say..so am in dilemma whether I should go the Ipod route which VW have quoted me ?150-00 inclusive of fitting or go for an original VW cd changer via Ebay..

If i get the kit only are they easy to fit?

Your suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Ipod adaptor, and i'm sure it works with the sat nav units, I think it just plugs into the changer slot, either on the RC300 or the MFD2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have spoken to dealer and he will match the cheapest price any dealer is offering.

Cheapest I have found so far is ?120-00 fitted.has anyone been offered a cheaper price and any issues with MFD2 unit..

Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the ipod connected to my mfd2 dvd sat nav and it works fine,no problems with sound,def worth getting it done[Y]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

Just hoping sound issue was with using adaptor with aftermarket mp3 player and not issue with MFD2 sat nav system as I bought it off someone in uk from ebay..presume as car is still under warranty if they fit ipod and sound issue is replicated then MFD2 might be faulty will they replace MFD2 although it wasn't a factory fitted option..Wll they have records of that as it's not same dealer i'm taking car to...

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just got new TDI 170 with i-pod ready centre armrest. My previous mkv 140 had 6 disc changer. My personal opinion is that i-pod is pants in car. The sound quality leaves a lot to be desired and frankly the CD changer was miles better. The funcionality of the i-pod through head unit is very limited ( only 6 playlists) and no info apart from which number playlist is being played. I am gonna get another 6 disc changer ASAP.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops..

was about to get ipod conversion and as sound quality is very important am in 2 minds..though as it uses cd changer interface sound quality would have been better not worse..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got the iPod connection fitted to our 140 earlier this year and I agree the sound quality ain't that great but it's no worse than the quality from our single-slot CD head unit, IMHO. With a bit of tinkering with the HU bass & treble and the iPod's Equaliser settings it doesn't sound too bad, just a little bit lifeless and lacking in any real punch.

If you switch to playlist 6 it will play whatever you've s elected on your iPod, i.e. to play a complete album or have it on shuffle rather than playing whatever is in the other five playlists. It's been worthwhile for me, it's worth the money just to not have to cart umpteen CDs round.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
oops..

was about to get ipod conversion and as sound quality is very important am in 2 minds..though as it uses cd changer interface sound quality would have been better not worse..
Think about it - ipods are a heavily 'compressed' sound source (thats why they are so small), not really hi-fi at all, but OK for jogging along with little headphones in your ears I suppose. CD's still represent the best quality source.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sort of don't have much choice..as oem cd changer is costing about ?400-00 but ipod kit fitted from vw will cost ?120-00(Told the stealers another VW was doing it for ?120-00 fitted and got them to price match.)

suppose it's a compromise but IMHO oem cd changers are way too overpriced for what u get relative to how much u can pick up an aftermarket cd changer..pure ripp off

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you import the mp3s at at least 225kbps the sound quailty isn't bad certainly on pair with the OEM cd changer, I've got a few of the albums in lossless format and they sound pretty good on it. The annoying thing is that the headunit doesn't support CD text so you don't get the track names, after asking the dealer about the photos of the new sat nav units appearing in press photos of new models.  They have heard that they are going to be 3D maps, touch sensitive and with native ipod support that allows full track name details and searching through artists/albums etc sounds very promising assuming it sounds good.  Curious if it will be able to retro fit it to older models.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you want ipod why not keep the existing setup and add the hardon kardon adaptor. It costs around ?130 and has a scroll wheel similar to the ipod wheel and a seperate screen. Everything that is shown on the ipod appears on the screen. Or you could go for a single din head unit and adaptor, Alpine have hispeed access headunits starting at ?160, next step would be an AV headunit, these start at ?490 +adaptor for a pioneer unit or you could go double din and get an Alpine for ?700. You can then add bluetooth connections so the HU becomes your mobile these are around ?140, or pioneer do a single din headunit with bluetooth and Ipod adaptor. Whilst the standard units look OEM like they were designed to !! you will get soo much more if you go aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Another good link for the HK adaptor here.

I wouldn't be without my i-pod (via Dension adaptor). Sound quality is not an issue IMHO, and with playlists of up to 99 tunes, you've a lot of music to choose from. Careful composition of playlists mean that access is not problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info..

re: vw ipod adaptor

Does that mean that you can create upto 5 playlists and is there a limit as to how many songs you can have on each playlist if so then negates the purpose of having anything more than a 2Gb Ipod.

Someone mentioned 99 songs on each playlist that u can have maximum..is that correct?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the Dension kit and you can have more that 99 songs in a playlist however the headunit only counts up to 99 so when the ipod is playing the 100th song the headunit goes back to 1. If you set up a couple of smart playlists that automatically update to you parameters I find these work well alone side a couple of set playlists. The 6th play lists allows you to access the whole ipod and there is a combination of buttons that if you are listening to a song on a play list you can then get the ipod under cd 6 to play the whole album, you can also set the ipod to work as normal allowing you to access the songs in the normal way with the sound coming out of the stereo.

From what I have heard the VW kit is a rebadged dension interface anyway, so it should work in a similiar fasion.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ok am I right in thinking you can have an iPod connector fitted anytime? Not just factory fitted?

I don't have an armrest so what're my options? I chose not to have one after crunching 4th gear on a test drive as the arm rest was "in the way". I'm getting annoyed having to listen to crap radio when I'm bored of my limited CD's that I have in the car, I've not bought a proper CD in years so all my music is mp3.

Didn't have this issue in the lupo as I had a Pioneer stereo compatible with mp3's.

I'm getting used to not having to take a stereo out everytime I get in and out of the car so an ipod jobbie would suit me (its also smaller to go in the handbag [;)])

Help me guys, what do I buy? [:)]

Father Christmas also needs advance warning [:p]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Go aftermarket, you could then buy a bluetooth adaptor and then connect you phone to it and use it as the cd changer. Pioneers adaptor is around ?140 and then you would need a headunit, unless you buy one of the lower spec units that have bluetooth built in, although i'm not sure you could then use your phone as a cd changer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts