Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one seems to be able to answer these simple questions at VW.

I have the a oem IPOD link cable,gamma HU and single CD player.

The ipod cable should go where? Its has blue connector and can plug into the single CD player or gamma HU.

At present the single CD player plugs into the gamma HU via a blue connector. On the single CD player there is a connector the same as the gamma HU which looks like its for a CD changer.

The IPOD LINK cable fits both the gamma HU or connector on the single cd player and kind of works, but doesnt function correctly on the single cd player. Should the IPOD link cable go into the single cd player?

The manual from VW clearly talks about a CD changer and the fact you cant have them both working. Nothing about a single CD player.

Many thanks for any help

·
Registered
829 Posts
As far as I know the iPod Link cable plugs directly into the single CD
player and you activate the iPod by pressing the s elect button when the
head unit is in CD mode. Not 100% sure though. Is it a
Denison Ice>Link cable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have mine set up as you say, I have the Gamma, a single CD and then the iPod iceLink cable plugged in. You s elect between the iPod and the Single CD with the Select button on the front of the CD. If I remember right frmo when I fitted it, I had to change he config of the provided iceLink cable to plug into the Single CD player instead of the Gamma. It was supplied to go straight into the Gamma.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else let me know and I'll take the Gamma out to refresh my memory!

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have mine set up as you say, I have the Gamma, a single CD and then the iPod iceLink cable plugged in. You s elect between the iPod and the Single CD with the Select button on the front of the CD. If I remember right frmo when I fitted it, I had to change he config of the provided iceLink cable to plug into the Single CD player instead of the Gamma. It was supplied to go straight into the Gamma.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else let me know and I'll take the Gamma out to refresh my memory!

Mike
Via the single cd player and working no problems??

WOW

Yes please

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well "no problems" might be pushing it, it's an iceLink not the plus so sometimes when I s elect a track, it decides to play the next one of sometimes the one after that or ... you get the point! This is more to do with a bug in the Dension rather than the CD Player arrangement though.

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked the cabling last night. I pulled out the gamma unit and the IPOD cable has different pin outs to the gamma to CD player

There is a 8 pin blue connector . The ipod connects to the gamma or single cd player both using the same connector.

Has anyone else got a IPOD cable connected ??

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had mine fitted like this:
gamma to single cd player and ipod connecter to back of cd player where the changer goes.
when i pressed the changer button IPOD worked. 1-6 on the gamma controlled my playlists.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had mine fitted like this:
gamma to single cd player and ipod connecter to back of cd player where the changer goes.
when i pressed the changer button IPOD worked. 1-6 on the gamma controlled my playlists.
Yes thats what I am trying to do.

Ipod into single cd player and then into gamma.

Does yours work correctly?

·
Registered
573 Posts
yes it worked perfectly fine.

did you downlaod thesoftware patch for it from Dension?

it;s like a 20 second MP3 file that sorts it all out, also make sure you have the icelink connected to earth. from my recolection the A4 sized instructions were cr*p and did not mention that there is another cable which is the earth, only after e -mailing support did they tell me.

I have now upgrded to the alpine as I like the idea of tucking away my ipod from prying eyes and also seeing the track displayed on the head unit

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes it worked perfectly fine.

did you downlaod thesoftware patch for it from Dension?

it;s like a 20 second MP3 file that sorts it all out, also make sure you have the icelink connected to earth. from my recolection the A4 sized instructions were cr*p and did not mention that there is another cable which is the earth, only after e -mailing support did they tell me.

I have now upgrded to the alpine as I like the idea of tucking away my ipod from prying eyes and also seeing the track displayed on the head unit
The cable I have is the VW cable. The cable is all working but when I press CD1 it skips to CD2 etc etc. So if I want CD 4 I would press CD 3.

If I press next track it always skips 2 tracks.

Can this be a earth cable problem. I would guess it isnt because the IPOD wouldnt work at all am I right ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The earth could cause a problem, but usually it does not manefest itself like this. I would take it back to VW and get it replaced.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I brought it from someone on this forum.

They have told me that its not a problem and they sell them on ebay telling people that you CANT connect the cable direct to the single CD player.

I have also phoned VW and they said they couldnt tell me

Still got the problem and know its not my IPOD because I have tested it with a mates nano

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I just joined here...

I have the exact same problem its so annoying! Work perfectly if you connect directly to the Gamma H/U but if you go through the single CD it always skips 2 tracks ahead instead of going to the next track. Also very odd- if you want to s elect a playlist (disc 1-6) it doesn't s elect the one you want, ie if you press disc 5 it s elects disc 3, then if you press disc 5 again it s elect disc 1 etc.

All very annoying, especially since none of this occurs if you connect directly to the H/U, but then you lose the single CD.

Can anyone help? I'm going to a large car audio supplier/fitter today who will hopefully have some ideas........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts