Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

IPOD in armrest?

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jap 
#1 ·
#3 ·
nice find mate, i was gonna buy some adapter off german ebay.....but this sounds much better especially as it charges it to!

where are you plugging it directly into the gamma or into the back of the single cd changer? just wandered if it will work if plugged into the single cd unit?

#6 ·
I was thinking of putting mine in the cup holder, nice tray cover for it and all...all I need is a foam cut out for it to sit into.
I have thought about doing exactly the same thing.

What are the options for connecting the ipod to the standard mk5 headunit? can you get the id tags and stuff to display on the headunit too? Also what are the options seen as though I already have a 6 disc changer? Soo many questions!!

#7 ·
Kenl has fitted his iPod in his MKV so should be able to answer any questions (thanks in advance Kenl!). The Dension ICE link I think is the one to go for. I don't think the standard head unit supports id tag info. I think you're existing changer should be fine - I think it's just a question of pressing the CD button a few times to access the iPod??

Am planning to fit an iPod in my MKV towards the end of the year using the docking cable and install in the glove box rather than the docking cradle as already have mobile phone holder mounted so no room for another cradle! Just got to wait to get my iPod. Folks are heading over to the states in Nov, so planning to get one then and save myself some cash [:D]

#11 ·
Anybody done this in their mk4 golf yet?

Im considering it. Have bought an ipod, now just need to work out whether the active cradle fits in the arm rest.

I have contacted dension for the dimensions of the cradle to see, and the length of the lead to find out if it with reach the back of the head unit.

If successful i might put a guide up.

If you ask me, it is way better having the ipod in a cradle fixed in the armrest rather than on the end of the lead in the glovebox etc. Keeping up with the OEM look too.

Shawzy

#12 ·
has anyone fitted an ipod in the armrest and is it easy to run the cable?

?Just got my genuine blaupunkt ipod adapter today - apparently it even displays the mp3 tag, itching to get it plumbed in!
I know this looks like an old post, but does that interface work with the VW Gamma? I have one of these, brand new in the box. I bought it for my Blaupunkt head unit in my last car but never fitted it. Had no idea it might work with the VW OEM stuff. Would be a very good solution if it did, although I currently have my iPod connected to the Aux-in of my MFD.

On the subject of iPod mounting, this is a real PITA. I just have it lying around on my passenger seat, but I've tried the cup holder although that obscures the MFD. I think I'll have to break out my old suction windscreen holder. There doesn't seem to be any other place on the dash for it.

#13 ·
I've just fitted my new alpine ida x001 and i'm gonna be putting the ipod lead into the arm rest next week when my new amp arrives, i'll let you know how i get on should be a doddle ALPINE PDX-4.150 4 CH DIGITAL AMPLIFIER bought two from USA and will be selling one to help pay for import and postage if anyone interested(not avalible in the uk yet)

#19 ·
has anyone fitted an ipod in the armrest and is it easy to run the cable?

Just got my genuine blaupunkt ipod adapter today - apparently it even displays the mp3 tag, itching to get it plumbed in!

check it out[:D]

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop.php?category=%2FiPod%2F&product=1148
If your set displays all the playlists etc off your iPod the best place for it is in the glove box surely? Thats where I put my one (my set). I can't be doing with having to navigate using the iPod, especially because I'm constantly flicking between tunes. That is 1 problem with having an iPod, too much choice :)

#23 ·
V2brett, can you tell me about this? Do you have the same cable as mentioned at the start of the thread, or is yours some kind of docking unit?

How is the info displayed/controlled on the stereo? I've got a VW MFD satnav, it controls a 6 disc VW multichanger by pressing buttons 1 to 6 on either side of the display and then there is a pair of small buttons for skipping tracks/fast forwarding.

I was curious as to wether standard VW Gamma or MFD Satnav are capable of displaying the track/artist names from an Ipod and how they can control an IPOD?

Thanks

#25 ·
the gamma radio does NOT do id tags just displays Track 01,02,03 (after 03 it goes back to 01) and you control the tracks by pressing the left and right arrows on the HU goes up and down the tracks on the IPod, also you loose your CD player as the connector gets replaced for the IPod one.

running the wires is simple enought job to do

had mine held in with velcro until i found out i could just wegde a holder between the hinge bits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.