Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Have any of you tried this new ipod connection device that allows for the cd changer to remain connected?  Wold be good to heard some feedback if you have used it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, any issues , tips to be aware of ? and do you have the cd changer aswell?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It works with the CD changer; once you are in CD changer mode, press FM or AM or CD (switch back to indash) and push CD again; you can switch between CDC and iPod.

The installation cable is a bit short though; I hide the unit under the ash tray and route the cable and exit from the top of the ash tray; and my ipod just put on top of the ESP button.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks, hopefully it's long enough to reach the glovebox, was going to mount the ipod there, well out of sight

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cheers

May have to ask my girlfriends dad to get me it off ebay.. as i must be the only person not to have an ebay account [:$]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone seen an ipod interface that you can connect to a factory fitted headunit and get ID3 tag info to display (song titles e.t.c..). I have an RNS MFD2 unit and saw an interface on www.ipodready.co.uk , i sent them an email and they claim that their IPOD-VW adapter can do it. Has anybody tried one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
so.... Mingfinity..... .. where exactly u can get the cable in HK ???
still from ebay ?? coz i email them and they told me i still have
to get it off ebay (me in HK also)

did u fitted it yourself ?? was that easy ?

sorry for being so many questions ...

thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For most of the VW radios (not ALL), it's not possible to have ID3 tag display. I dont know why the iPod R thingy claimed this is supported.......

·
Registered
200 Posts
My iConnection arrived today from HK.

Delivered in 10 days from this guy

Fitting was a doddle - thanks to the excellent 'How to' guides by Foxy and Kunid

Took less than an hour all in.

Does exactly what it says on the box.

I now have iPod, 6 CD changer , radio and Sat Nav up and running ...

?85 + ?8 P &P.

Yet another benefit from this excellent community - thanks all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow .. thanks for Merlinman info ..... gives me more confidence
to install it myself ... is not hard at all right ?? where have u
actually mount the ipod ?? ..

thanks in advance

·
Registered
200 Posts
At present I just have a 'flylead' exiting alongside the ashtray flap - I have two options - I can use the Brodit
mount which fits on the dash near to the Radio, but which is a little
obvious for prying eyes or, as I probably prefer, just let the iPod
(30GB 5th Gen) sit in its iSkin

in the ashtray, where I can access it easily..

I decided against a glovebox fit - since it seemed inconvenient to access...

I NEVER leave anything on view in the car - even the RA is removed when I park.

Fitting was easy - just follow Kunid and Foxy's photoguides. Just be
gentle and use something plastic when prising trim off/out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gents,

Is there a hole in the glove box to let the cable run through? Does it have to go through that air hole (on/off air hole), or is there a different routing?

I was thinking to let the ipod to stand in the ash tray, so when I remove the ipod and close the lid of the ash tray, no one would see any sign. It seems to be difficult to get ipod stand there....

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Update:

Well..... the iConnect worked fine for a couple of days, but I've since
had a series of malfunctions including 'freezing' of the Radio/CD
display and apparent temporary failure of the iConnect switching
device. It usually corrects itself after the car has stood for an hour
or so.

iConnect are as mystified as I am and have been extremely helpful
throughout - responding to emails and photos of the frozen display
almost instantly. They will refund my money when they receive the unit
back.

I'm prepared to admit I've been unlucky - and am now waiting for the VW
iPod link to arrive, which means I'll lose the 6 CD player :-(

Not a major issue as all my music is stored on the iPod anyhow...

Wouldn't want to put anyone else off - but thought I'd share my
experience....good job I'm retired now, otherwise the time I've spent
faffing with this would become an issue with 'er indoors' :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you receive the iConnection, is there a user manual and installation guide included? Mine doesn't come with any instruction or manual, and the speed of their response is not as fast/good as you said either...[:(]

Have you got a user manual and installation guide you can e-mail me? I am going to try it tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally got a chance to install this iConnection today. Thanks for Foxy's guide, the dash board came out fine (not easy, but manageable), and great thanks to my friend who helped me on this today.

All went well before engine started. Switching between the CD changer and ipod does work. [:)]However, as soon as the engine started, the iConnect hanged. [:'(] It no longer accept any control, and the MFD2 reports "No CD". Even switch off everything (including engine) and switch on everything again, the situation remains the same. The ipod is still working, but not the iConnection. The only way to clear this problem, is to disconnect the iConnection from MFD2 and re-connect again. The problem does re-appear again as soon as starting the engine.

Anyone want to buy my CD changer? Maybe it's time to go to fit the VW ipod kit.

I have e-mailed them for help, hope there is a quick solution, otherwise have spend time to return it - I cannot image any one can disconnect and reconnect the iConnection from MFD2 everytime starting the engine!

PS: The "ground" wire on their cable is having a smaller loop hole, which will not fit to the ground screw at the back of the MFD2, and without the ground wire contacting to the MFD2 chassis, it won't work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts