1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted a Dension Ipod ICeLink today:

Web Address: www.dension.comhttp://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

Posted Image

This bit of kit allows me to use my Mini Ipod to play through the VW headunit.

The kit itself consists of

A Docking Cradle (as in pic)

A small box of tricks (no bigger that a *** packet)

A Mini Iso lead

Fitting is so easy, Pull out the headunit, unplug the CD changer ISO plug. Plug in the Ipod cradle Iso plug in it's place.

Wire up the earth wire

Note - CD changer (if you've got one) is now totally UNUSED

Lastly mount the cradle wherever you like.

First impressions:

Sound is great (just regular MP3 style) and you also can adjust the tone on the Ipod, meaning bass/treble levels can be further enhanced when listening to your fav tracks

Because the cradle is plugged into the Headunit's CD changer control, you can Skip tracks, and Rewind/Fast forward too.

Ipod charges in the cradle.

Ipod automatically turns on/off according to the car ignition or whether CD changer is s elected or not.

Downsides - need to touch the Ipod if you wanna s elect play lists or albums etc. You can't s elect that stuff on the headunit, as all you can do is skip track by track.

NO Track info - (ie track names, play time) Headunit always says track 1

Cost ?130 inc vat from most retailers for all of the above, and you can get the same kit for SOny/Alpine/kenwood etc etc etc headunits too

Highly recommend this for bit of kit for Ipod users! It's very cool indeed

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
oh i see. i'm not major on OEM so i'd have it on the dash like in the picture. that way its right there if you have to access it. mind you then its on display and i wouldn't wanna take it out all the time. so its kinda inviting thieves. i suppose thats why i have a 10 disc mp3 changer in my boot. not quite as many tracks but i get 70-90 albums with all the track info and i don't ever need my music outside of my car anyway.

sorry for that waffling.

nice unit!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know what you mean, at first I fitted it to the dash like in the pic,

But seeing as I've already got a B2 and the laser sight on the dash, it started lookin abit Dixon's on my dash! lol

So i thought, ahh sod it, stash it in the glove box.

The cradle for the ipod is great, cause like the B2, it means I can take them with me when I leave the car, rather than leaving it inside for some git to theive

·
Registered
70 Posts
GTIfly.....

Is your headunit a Gamma, and if so, have you amped it?

If you have, then, is there any noise (whine, popping and the like) coming thru the speakers when the car is running and the ipod/cd is playing?

Also, if you do have the gamma, do you have a single slot cd player as well?

Sorry for all the questions, have been meaning to put my ipod in the car for a while now, but keep getting fed up with it not working/not working properly!

Calum.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No external Amp in my car.

I've got the VW SatNav unit in my car.

The Dension IceLink plugs into the CD changer port (mini Iso) at the back of the headunit, meaning that the CD autochanger is made redundant.

If you have a VW singer CD player in the second Din slot, you can actually still have this working aswell as having the Ipod, as the single CD player can take an auxilary input (you s elect between the two, by pressing the button on the CD player)

On another note,

In my previous Golf, I had a Gamma HU, and I bought a 'Sony On Top' external Amp which drove the speakers instead of the Gamma HU.

After fitting, I did get some buzzing when the car headlights where switched on. It was very faint, and you could only hear it in between tracks.

Even though I earthed the unit, and took the wiring away from other cables, I still couldnt get rid of the noise/whine/buzzing

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did get some buzzing when the car headlights where switched on. It was very faint, and you could only hear it in between tracks.

Even though I earthed the unit, and took the wiring away from other cables, I still couldnt get rid of the noise/whine/buzzing

Sounds familar..... [B)]

I know about the aux input on the single slot cd - was just asking because i currently have the 6 disc in dash job which doesnt have an aux-in and was wondering what the single slot was like with the ipod - but never mind!

Thanks anyway!

Calum.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Black wire Isn't the Aerial thats for sure, cause thats on the other side (not in pic)

I don't know what it is, but I can say that when I plugged that wire back into the headunit (driver's door was open at the time) I suddenly head the fuel pump make it's Priming Noise..

So good knows what the wire is for

·
Registered
70 Posts
I suddenly heard the fuel pump make it's Priming Noise..

Aaah, so thats what it is, i've always wondered what the noise is whenever i open the drivers door....! I've always presumed it not to be a fault as my sisters beetle does it too!

I wouldnt worry about it making the noise when you moved the wire, i think you find that if you do leave the door open for long enough, it will do it every so often (every 15 mins?) anyway, probably just a concidence!

As for the wire, does look like a (headunit) chassis earth to me, which is pretty good if it came OEM.

I was just wondering if it was the earth you mentioned that the Denison iPod kit came with - any chance you could shed some light on where this connects to on the denison lead? i will explain later....!

thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I reckon I can manage that then, looks as though this is the best way forward for me. I've been using an 'Itrip' till now but the quality is pretty variable.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts