Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There is an alternative if you have a CD changer and want to use that too. I did it.

trying to find the link! its on votex.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
no, no and no!

it doesnt work! I have one of these cables in my drawer at home which i bought on the off chance! Gone for the Dension ICE link+ now!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oxford - Is that the one with the switch in the ash tray? If so how hard was it to put in? I'm not too good at fettling with the wiring!

PaulGT - I was trying to avoid getting the Dension as it's a bit pricey for what is essentially just a lead. I know you can control the iPod from the HU and it charges it but there must be a way of doing the whole install cheaper and without cutting into the wiring looms.

I've been looking on iPod lounge for some inspiration but most of the installs there are on Yank cars and I think they have a different HU to the European ones - anyone advise?

Found this on eBay as well - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60208&item=5758005079&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V but not if it'll fit the Gamma radio.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
right, the sound does make it to the headunit and it does connect, but, as there is no controller or anything the headunit doesnt pick up the signal and will therefore no switch to the changer!

My Dension didnt work this morning! ggrr, think it was because i deleted the file that tells it its a VW headunit! bum! Trying to upgrade to v2.06 firmware too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
right ok cheers paul! seems like these people need to redesign their lead!

i have a button on my single in dash cd player which changes from single cd player to cd changer, is this how u worked it or did u do it through the actual h/u?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote: posted by MattC3156 on 15/03/2005 16:01:54

Oxford - Is that the one with the switch in the ash tray? If so how hard was it to put in? I'm not too good at fettling with the wiring!

Id love to know that as i think i could add an asr switch and use that as a switch!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
BTW, got all the cables, swtches etc from Maplins... all came to about 6 quid? the lead was the most expensive bit! lol

MattC, impressed with your searching skills!

Mind you Vortex does not time out every 9 searches out of ten like this one does!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Needs to be a "double pole - double throw" switch I think.

Which means it switches left to middle to right and has two rows of connections on the bottom, thats what i got anyway. I am not sure if an ASR switch will do the trick, but I am not sure what switch that is? lol

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Quote: posted by Alex1.8T on 15/03/2005 21:18:36

right ok cheers paul! seems like these people need to redesign their lead!

i have a button on my single in dash cd player which changes from single cd player to cd changer, is this how u worked it or did u do it through the actual h/u?

yeah, thats how i did it! pluged the wire into the back of the CD playey and then pressed the s elect button and nothing happened! This was with it running too!

I like the way oxford has done it cos with the dension you are slightly restricted by up to 5 play lists!

However, you can charge it with the dension and just throw it in the glovebox like mine! [:D]

·
Registered
371 Posts
so u have to have the 6 disc boot changer for the mod oxford has done to make it work! i only have the single indash cd player, i guess it wont work with this?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am under the impression that if you connect this lead directly to the gamma unit then it works. However, you then lose the capability of using your cd player. Oxfords mod from vortex should be doable on a single slot, you just need to interupt the cable from the single slot going to the headunit, it is just a simple switch afterall.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts