Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an invite at the weekend to test drive the new GTI, going down next sunday [:D] Really looking forward to it, see if all the hype is true.

Anyone else get one?

·
Registered
192 Posts
and er........um.......what do you think they are going to let you do go tyres smokin away from the lights with the ESP off.

AND/OR

Try to get it tail out round a wet (hopefully deserted) roundabout.

[8)]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Errr... ok mate!

Donna, didn't get a postal invite, but I was having a nose around one in my local showroom at the weekend and the salesman told me to phone him this week to arrange a drive in the demonstrator which should have arrived by now.

I didn't even ask about a drive but I may as well!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by Stevoraith on 10/01/2005 12:01:29

Errr... ok mate!

lol exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah well I've seen them in the showroom, but I wouldn't ask to drive one, so the invite was superp really, and well you never know, I'm a sucker for new cars [:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by D17ONA on 10/01/2005 13:08:51

I'm a sucker for new cars [:D]

The ad will read like this

For Sale:

Golf mk4 1.8T

Beetle with Porsche 914 Engine

Camper van with fittings

Or will exchange for new MK5 GTI

[:D]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 10/01/2005 14:00:25

Quote: posted by D17ONA on 10/01/2005 13:08:51

I'm a sucker for new cars [:D]

The ad will read like this

For Sale:

Golf mk4 1.8T

Beetle with Porsche 914 Engine

Camper van with fittings

Or will exchange for new MK5 GTI

[:D]

No Chance, will never get rid of the camper van.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Right chaps, I test drove one on saturday from my local dealer, I must admit first impression and from the outside wasn't all that at all except probably from the front...[B)] but as you step inside the male chickenpit, now we're talking...computer on board, the seats, the quality of this new leather, the optional arm rest, and many more were fantastic! But there are unfortunatelly still some negative aspects like the plastic bits...plus especially those rear plastic skirts [B)[:O] they are terrible!!! Apparently you can get them colour coded, but nothing is free....

Driveability: as you start driving it, I as being an ex R32 owner felt a massive difference in weight/speed ratio, word is excellent! I really went for it and i tell you this car has massive potential for those tuners out there...i mean we are talking 2.0 200bhp engine straight out of the factory not bad if you ask me...I took it for some really hard cornering and it handled very well, mind you i did feel a slight difference from my previous R32 (the ultimate beast in corners) and that is entirelly because of its 4x4 system...

still for a gti turbo front wheel drive it's got serious potential as previously said but i would definitelly go for the 18" alloys and full leather with the sunroof, forgetting the sat nav as you can get it elsewhere and much much cheaper...

Final thought: gti 2.0 200bhp 146mph top speed and 7.1secs 0-60, a solid and fast car, great for those who loves turbo charged engines...but personally i would not buy one as i am a V6 nuts who is waiting patiently for his new R to come...i got a fat deposit waiting for it and should be joining me in early 2006 [^]...so what let the clock ticks i got all the time for it.....think about it at around ?23000 [B)] fully loaded gti, you might as well opt for an extra 2/3Gs and get the reall daddy!!! (R)[:D]

i could tell you more about the car itself but then again its boring and you probably know it anyways and if you dnt i suspect you'll find out sooner or later when you test it yourself!

Easy now...

MadMaxR32 [^]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Coastal we know you don't like the new GTI but try to stop shoving your views on it down other people's throats eh?!

Donna enjoy, it's such a lovely car to drive and boot it in 2nd til the redline if you can!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
i agree with irish, if u want to write a review on the car,please dont ram it onto someone elses topic. also agree about the 2nd gear, i was upto 70mph in 2nd and it was still pulling, read my popular reiew to find out more

·
Registered
192 Posts
I guess thats me slapped back in my hutch isnt it.[8D]

ianhg I think we are all well aware of your review as we seem to get it plugged every day.[??]

The point I was making is what are you supposed to glean from a normal test drive. All the ones I have experienced they drive out about 5 miles and you drive back.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you tell the dealership you will only consider buying the car if you get a long un-accompanied test drive the will soon give you it.

I got a Golf for a full day and did about 150 miles before I placed my order. They may ask you to arrange your own insurance but this doesn't cost much for a day or is even free if the car you are buying is in a lower group than the car you have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is true Kenl before I went to Volkswagen the Rover Dealer I was at used to give me the keys to something new every time I had mine in for a service.

However you might find that Insurance "Issues" might be a wee bit different with the GTI

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have two scoobies coming later this week ........one a prodrive sti 305hp, for 24 hours, then take it back and get the other a std sti......for 24 hours!! I was amazed when they offered it, but I thought it rude to turn em down!

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Yeah got mine as well - I said to dealer I'll wait until I can afford the GTI as well as my R or wait for the R3?

Enjoy it Donna! If they let you play properly I guarantee you will!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Donna,

Which dealership was it for? I got an invite from Verve at Newmains and am hopefully going on sunday for the 11.00 'til 12.00 slot[:D]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have fun Donna but leave your purse at home!! [:D]

Haven't taken my friendly stealer up on the offer of a test drive cause it's just a bad idea...MUST RESIST!! [:p]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I test drove one last week when mine was in for some repair. I know the service manager at the dealer and she got me the keys for the sales managers car.

I loved it. Really enjoyed driving it. I'm thinking of getting one now.

Enjoy your test drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts