Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Amongst other problems :-( I have a problem with intermittment clicking noises coming from the hazard relay. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it and i've changed the hazard relay block for a brand new one. It stopped for about a week and then started doing it again as before. My local stealer looked at it and said I needed a new relay and obviously I know I don't. VAGCom isn't reporting any electrical faults and the stealer is going to look at it again in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Things I can try to fix it?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I believe the whole flashing unit is part of the actual hazard switch
in the MKIV, when you say you have changed the relay, have you also
changed the actual hazard switch ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I changed the long block that has the hazard warning symbol on the front and connects at the back...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Golf Gal

I had the same problem maybe a little over a year ago. I believe the Australian and UK cars are the same.

Anyway the service manager knew exactly what it was, he said it could be the hazard relay (it's not in your case as you already know) and the indicator stalk

Very luckily I had a month of warranty left, I got a new hazard relay but that didn't solve it. They then tried the indicator stalk and that fixed the problem

Drives you mad that clicking sound!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting - what exactly was wrong with the indicator stalk - a bad connection or something?

How did they fix it, did you need a whole new stalk?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hazard switch changed with no luck, so will need the indicator stalk, however mine comes with the OEM Cruise control on it and priced at £65 for the part alone!

Anyone have a link to removing the arm, column housing (& maybe I'll be able to clean the contacts on the indicator arm. If no luck then its off to the scrappy!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem, my friend found out what the problem was, all it needs is WD40 inside the indicator stalk to remove the grease, because when the indicator stalk heats up the grease makes a complete circuit and starts clcking by itself, im not entirely sure if I have it correct but he used WD40 to remove the grease and its worked fine ever since, I also changed the relay but it didnt do anything. It is definately a problem in the Stalk.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
its the stalk. i had it about 4/5 months ago
So did you replace?

The fitting of non OEM frightened me off removing the stalk.....taking off steering wheel and airbag!!!

Mine only started when the car was left out in the -8DegC weather recently for two nights when I was away from home, actually okay this morning after being in warm garage.......!

·
Registered
2 Posts
No i didnt need to replace it, I just put WD40 inside the stalk to remove the grease and it was fine ever since, have you changed your stalk?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
No i didnt need to replace it, I just put WD40 inside the stalk to remove the grease and it was fine ever since, have you changed your stalk?
No, not yet, & Like i say with the milder morning, warmer Garage its gone for now!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
sorry to dig up an old thread.

do i really need to remove the steering wheel or can i use the WD40 with a tube and just squirt it down there??

This clicking is driving me mad !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just thought id stick a post about what i did.

Uk Paul provided me with an old faulty indicator stalk (had the clicks also), i split it open and used WD40 to clean it out. Installed it and initailly smoke came out ! (guessed it was burning the WD40 off) but it still wasnt cured.

I then split my own stalk which id just taken out. Then time i DID NOT use WD40 and just wiped the grease off the individula contacts and tried my best not to wipe grease onto other electrical components.

I put my original stalk back in, and hey presto it works !! Thank F**

There was alot more grease in the faulty stalk then there was in mine. So who knows maybe i didnt fix it quite right.

But my advice would be to try and wipe it clean first.

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
lol, took me ages to split the indicator housing. I used a bit of wire with a not at one end to get the difficult clip up. But the second time i used a tiny precision screw driver which was easier.

Cheers for the tip

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same problem with relay behind the hazard switch,this only started in the recent heatwave,34c or more (Somedays 40c) for 9 straight days.Thanks for the tips on the forum I will try in stages WD40 or contact cleaner followed by the new hazard switch and if my lucks really out progress to the new stalk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts