Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the cause of a poor cold start on a V6 intermittent could be? sometimes it kicks in when cold & sometimes not, and when it doesn't she coughs & splutters into life, with a little help from a dab of the throttle by me. once fired up, she runs perfectly. Dont know if this is part of the same problem or some hint towards it perhaps, but anyway, a couple of times recently, ive had a low coolent warning come up on dash, this has happend at cold start tempretures below 4c. when Ive shut it down, poped the bonnet and had a butchers, the coolent level is fine! So, ive started her up again & everything is fine, No warning lights, all running well. Any answers to this strange V6 mystery would be very much appreciated.

VW Golf 2.8 V6 4motion 2003.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would be interested to know as i have a mk4 r32 and have been having the same problems, it also takes a few seconds longer when turning the key before it fires up.

chris

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys! been abit busy with work! Anyway, Coolant temp sensor! I havent actualy had much time to have a butchers yet.! but that does sound plossible, maybe thats why ive been getting a random low coolant warning! However, how might that affect the cold start?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would of thought the low coolant warning would have more to do with a dodgy sensor in the coolant resevoir, rather than the temp sensor. But the temp sensor would affect cold start as the ecu will be seeing that the engine is warmer than it actually is. So not injecting enough fuel on cold start giving you a splutter untill you compensate that by revving the engine like you said.

Luke

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Luke, I shall look into that mate. Do you know roughly how much these sensors will set me back?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The sensors are quite cheap. I think theyre around the £15 mark. Dont think theyre that much more, if not the same from the dealers. I paid £12 ish quid for mine from a local motor factors a few weeks ago. Its been sitting in my door pocket ever since, as i havent got round to doing it yet :) Easy to do though.

Some might mention about getting a new retaining clip aswell as the sensor. Just incase you break it or loose it. But you should be ok if you're carefull.

If you need to know anything else, just shout.

Luke

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one Luke, thanks again dude, your help & advice is much appreciated.! I'll not get round to doing it for a couple of weeks, as I'm working away. But I shall let you know the result when I do get around to it.! Maybe by then, you'd have done yours aswel ey! Ha!
Andy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No worries Andy. Glad to be of some help. And would be good to know your outcome. I hope to do mine this weeked... hopefully. I'll post up if i notice a difference :)

Luke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts