Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there im new to this so dunno if has come up before but does any 1 know what pair I should use for my interior trim? And how to prep for spraying? Thank Ben

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends mate, what is your trim? If its Plastics then you need to rub it down and use plastic primer, give it another light sand and then spray it, I use Plasticoat primer, good luck [Y]

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I used your std primer, std paint, and clear laquer, all sourced from my local paint shop in custom mixed spray cans.

The laquer is good to give a gloss finish however if you want matte, dont use it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Sorry but those are the best pics I have as the others appear to have been deleted.

It takes a lot of prep work to remove the rubber surface coating from the trim, but is well worth it in the end.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Sorry but those are the best pics I have as the others appear to have been deleted.

It takes a lot of prep work to remove the rubber surface coating from the trim, but is well worth it in the end.
x2... that rubby stuff in a night mare. a trick i learned tho.. a damp "greeny" get it off a treat. (greeny being 1 of those things ya wife cleans the dishes with)

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Or just use scotchbrite....

The red stuff worked quite well! Or VERY FINE wet and dry, doesnt take it off at the best rate, but leaves a perfect finish. Too coarse a paper and you leave scratch marks which show up like mad when painted.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Or just use scotchbrite....

The red stuff worked quite well! Or VERY FINE wet and dry, doesnt take it off at the best rate, but leaves a perfect finish. Too coarse a paper and you leave scratch marks which show up like mad when painted.
yep thats the stuff.. i could not think for the life of me what it was called. Greeny will do! [whistle]

·
Registered
272 Posts
I love that rubber coating when its new and undamaged but looks rough after x number of years wear and tear.

Iits a pain to get off for a respray as already mentioned, another vote for scotchbrite here.

I used some halfords rattle can matt black, its quite a good match for the oem rubber covered trim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah used to but wear and tear takes it toll bein a mechanic using poor thing for work, my golf is candy white colour coding interior fingers crossed guna turn out nice [:D]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts