Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since fitting the bilstiens I'm noticing rattles coming from the passenger side door and a couple from the dash/ glove box area when driving on country roads which is very often in my case. My question is has anyone else dealt with these and how or is there a write up done on it? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm contemplating driving it over a cliff to get it to stop

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issues since fitting my JOMS on Saturday, including my centre console. Im finding smacking it hard in frustration does actually work, for a short time tho!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The solution is to take bits of dash out and re fit them with small foam or felt pads everywhere to stop plastic on plastic vibrations.

..... im shaking my dash to pieces with Bilstein B8 shocks, a SMF and uprated engine mounts on a TDI engine lol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have the same issue! Bloody annoying!!

It's worse when everything's cold as well.

The worst was coming from the drivers door, so i whipped the door card off to find a piece of plastic which seems to be useless for the locking mechanism.. so instead of putting it back on i just binned it.

The other noise kinda comes from behind the centre vents but closer to the bulk head. really hard to get to, I've had everything but the dash itself out and couldn't find anything. Wacking it also stops it for a while!

3rd is kinda passenger door speaker area which is a lighter tinny kinda like an electrical noise (its not electrical or the speaker tho) not sure if its from the glove box area or door though, really hard to find.

Over all the most annoying sound ever is the seat belt buckle clip things, the plastic vibrates with music and over bumpy roads. sooooooo annoying!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem and made a huge improvement by placing self adhesive felt tape on every surface where plastic meets in the dash, centre console etc. I got the tape on E-bay for a couple of quid so a nice inexpensive fix. The tape I used is Ebay item 160952983298.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Nate_G I notice its worse cold aswell its the most irritating thing to live with and on top of it all my seat has started to squeek.. Something is going to have to be done. I must try fitting the foam hopefully this will help!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I should have taken a pic of my dash, at one point i wedged cardboard between every possible join to try and find which one it was, found out i had a squeak from the left lip on the centre console/gear console touching the dash. Soon put foam double sided tape in-between as above which made it 10x better - still creaks every now and again (which i later found a hair line crack in the plastic was to blame :/)

Don't know if you guys have experienced this but my air bag cover, passenger side dash panel has lifted on one side and will push/clip back in for a day or so but soon lifts back up? i've tried everything to get it to go back down bar glueing it! (this also squeaks over bumps)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my passenger side door is starting to sag ever so slightly does anybody know if this is known to cause noise because I'v had the door card off 4 times trying to find the squeek but havent had any luck?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
hmmm maybe. when the doors open can you lift it up and down?

does it make a noise? My cousins Seat has shims in the door pins (hinges) and over time they have worn which causes a knocking and squeak sometimes but it's really obvious coz it does the same when opening and closing the door.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the doors for play yesterday and there doesnt seem to be any. I did notice some marks on the sill from where the door is more than likely hitting it though? The noise when driving seems to be coming from around the area where the catch is. In other news bought some felt tape so ill try fitting this on friday and pray it sorts the other rattles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.