Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did no one tell me these things are a pain in the arse to fit???

Just spoke to Awesome GTi in Manchester who have just told me they don't fit them, so I'm at a loss...

So if there's anyone in Manchester or near by that fancies a challenge and wants to earn a few quid, then give me a shout and I'll come to you to fit my clock rings

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Its not hard to take the cluster apart buddy. Disconnect the battery. Remove the plastic trim under the clocks and remove the 2 torx 20 bolts. Wiggle the clocks to come out. Disconnect both plugs on the back off the clocks and pull them out. then there is 2 torx 10's, once undone them pop the retaining clips on top and bottom then prise the casing apart. Daa Daaa [:)]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jazzle certainly made it sound.. less epic than Pryda's first post.

Only time will tell, update us if you do decide to have a go because the people who find these things a breeze have often being doing them or similar for a long time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you tried to fit them though mate? or has someone told you they are a pita to fit? companies like awesome, wont waste time fitting dials and rings... no money in it for them, more hassle than its worth, doesnt mean its hard to do though!

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is actually really easy. Took me about 20 Minutes to take mine out and get them apart. It only becomes slightly tricky if you try and remove the clear plastic front but you can squeeze them in through the openings from the back if you are careful.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha it might seem easy to you guys, but I dont have a clue about cars. I don't even know how to disconnect the battery! Can someone point me in the direction of a detailed guide and I'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just attempted to remove the cluster, only to find I dont have a screwdriver to remove the torx-20 screws. however, once I acquire one I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to do it.... I even managed to disconnect the battery. giving myself a pat on the back for that one haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts