Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the website of a mate of mine after having some issues with his local dealer. Whatch out for this car!

www.prestonhall.co.uk

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just read the whole thing start to finish, fair enough he had some grief and service was poor but I have heard of far worse stories from BMW! Must be proper irritated to spend the time doing that site! Thing is with BMW dealers is that the more irate you get the worse the service becomes, so they would have seen him as a right pain in the *** and then become even more uninterested. Not the poor blokes fault, I feel for him (and the new owner!)

I have had a few run ins with BMW, but also some VERY good service over the cars that I have owned, I had to go through 4 dealers to find a good one so I know wheat this guy is on about. Theres an arrogance to alot of these dealers/staff - find a good dealer and keep it!

Ive read about guys putting thier new M3s in for warranty work and not having the car back for months! And horror stories of damage and other nastyness, BMW are a good brand, but that doesnt mean they dont hire pricks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good old Whites, nice to see the service is still poor, workmanship even poorer.

Sales team let down by the WORST service and repair dept in the known universe!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I travelled all the way to Bishops Stortford to buy my 330 - great deal, service and attitudes

Local dealers were rude, unhelpful and the deals they offered were a joke

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 21/05/2004 12:49:38

Sound pretty similar to my Whites repair.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russell.steel/whites.htm

Which is still currently waiting for Guildford County Court to make a judgement on my claim for ?1438 compensation, it's only taken 6 months to get this far.

I have been having fun with Whites in Croydon too. I had to have a new drivers door after an old lady pulled out of her parking space. The car was 6 weeks old[}:)][}:)]. Anyway it was taken to whites, the actual repair and colour match was done quite well. The problems I had was caused by the bloke that did the valeting afterwards, he must have used an electric buffer, it had to go back to have 18[B)] marks removed. Even now the side that was repaired and the bonnet have numerous swirl marks that now under the Supagard coating that they put back on after the repair. In a way I have never felt that I have been able to fully enjoy the car since.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Russell on 21/05/2004 13:42:31

Which is still currently waiting for Guildford County Court to make a judgement on my claim for ?1438 compensation, it's only taken 6 months to get this far.

I have been having fun with Whites in Croydon too. I had to have a new drivers door after an old lady pulled out of her parking space. The car was 6 weeks old[}:)][}:)]. Anyway it was taken to whites, the actual repair and colour match was done quite well. The problems I had was caused by the bloke that did the valeting afterwards, he must have used an electric buffer, it had to go back to have 18[B)] marks removed. Even now the side that was repaired and the bonnet have numerous swirl marks that now under the Supagard coating that they put back on after the repair. In a way I have never felt that I have been able to fully enjoy the car since.

You must know Allan then from the Croydon bodyshop ?

If I were you just insist your insurance company send you to another body shop to sort out their damage. Otherwise, use the law, and get three quotes to repair the damage and submit them to Whites to have a final attempt at repair.

If they still can't sort it, then you can just give the the bill for the repairer that can do the job.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 21/05/2004 14:37:13

Quote: posted by Russell on 21/05/2004 13:42:31

You must know Allan then from the Croydon bodyshop ?

If I were you just insist your insurance company send you to another body shop to sort out their damage. Otherwise, use the law, and get three quotes to repair the damage and submit them to Whites to have a final attempt at repair.

If they still can't sort it, then you can just give the the bill for the repairer that can do the job.

Would that be Allan (you can put swirl marks in with the palm of your hand) the manager?[B)]

It is shame because I had previously had my Puma re-shelled by them after another accident and that came back in absolute mint condition.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It's a bit strange that they had trouble with VW owners called Russell as well.

Speaking with others in the trade, some that have worked for Whites, it would seem that they are just intrested in quantity not quality now a days.

This is why I have gone to the lengths of taking them to the small claims court, as I feel they shouldn't be able to carry on like this, without the insurance companies taking actions.

I can understand that no one can get it right first time, but 10 times is unbelieveable, and they should be punished for it in my opion, not allowed to get away with it.

Yeap, Allan is/was the manager, and I still can't believe that he tried to explain away this paint fade as "the reflection of the building on the other side of the road" when I queried it;

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Russell on 21/05/2004 15:36:24

Is your car Indigo blue as well?

Yeap, can it get any freakier ?

Don't tell me you had your problems between Oct 2002 and Oct 2003 with Whites aswell ?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 21/05/2004 15:37:52

Don't tell me you had your problems between Oct 2002 and Oct 2003 with Whites aswell ?

This is now really starting to get strange my car went into them on the 29th January 2003[:O]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Russell on 21/05/2004 16:03:58

This is now really starting to get strange my car went into them on the 29th January 2003[:O]

Mine started of in the Farnbourgh branch between Oct 02 and Apr 03 then after 3 attempts went to there Croydon branch between Jun 03 and Oct 03 for 2 more repairs.

Has yours been sorted yet ?

There is another forum member that had problems with there Farnbourgh branch at the same time as me, and I think he got compensation via his insurance company.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 21/05/2004 17:35:29

Quote: posted by Russell on 21/05/2004 16:03:58

Mine started of in the Farnbourgh branch between Oct 02 and Apr 03 then after 3 attempts went to there Croydon branch between Jun 03 and Oct 03 for 2 more repairs.

Has yours been sorted yet ?

There is another forum member that had problems with there Farnbourgh branch at the same time as me, and I think he got compensation via his insurance company.

Now this really starting to get strange we both the same age.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The site is getting regular visits from BMW now, about 20 hits a day !!! Plus hes updated the comments section.

www.prestonhall.co.uk

·
Registered
141 Posts
He seems pretty p*ssed!!![}:)]

I also own a 2001 330i Touring and have run both BMW's and Golf's off and on simultaneously for about 15 years.

The service has varied from dealer to dealer and on the whole VW dealers are worse than BMW dealers and the labour rates are about the same except that there is a discount with BMW if your car is over 4 years old (not avilable with VW), the above story is an extreme example and the morale is, make sure if you do have an accident you ask your insurer to have the car repaired at a garage of your choice and do some research before s electing a repairer.

I had a ?17,000 claim in my 1992 Porsche 964 RS three years ago and I specified that I wanted it repaired by Bodytechnics in Slough (Porsche approved bodyshop)as I had seen some of their work and it was exceptional. After much negotiation Norwich Union agreed, needless to say the results on my car were faultless.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think his insurance company insisted the car went to the nearest BMW garage to the accident so he had no choice in the matter [:(]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos Fandango on 27/05/2004 12:52:00

I wanted it repaired by Bodytechnics in Slough (Porsche approved bodyshop)as I had seen some of their work and it was exceptional. After much negotiation Norwich Union agreed, needless to say the results on my car were faultless.

I know the place well, I work near there, my boss has had his car in thier twice and I agree, thier work is absolutely fantastic. Always a lovely array of cars outside too, there was a Vanquish there last week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts