Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my birthdays just passed and im now 17, i can afford the mk4 golf SDi and everything, however the insurance is gonna cost a bomb, any suggestions on how to bring it down would be appreciated and would it be wise in insure in on my parent's policy?

cheers

ben

·
Registered
581 Posts
insurance will probably be expensive no matter what you do cos of your age. [:(]

keep the car parked on the drive if its possible. limiting your mileage is another thing that can bring the cost of premiums down. Taking pass plus is also a good idea. some companies give a good discount if you have this. you could have a high excess of about ?500 then your premium will fall a little bit. thats about all i can think of right now.

Don't be tempted to be put on your parents policy. when you move out and want a nice big car you won't have any no claim bonus so insurance will cripple you. It's happened to a few of my mates.

good luck and make sure you get as many quotes as possible!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but polos suck beans. i come onto this site because i love golfs and always have done. i dont realli want to wait much longer to get a golf and i realli want 1 now. if i keep it in a garage will that reduce the premium even more? and also if the vehicle is tracker fitted, could that bring the premium down? and its not like im gonna be driving that far in a year anyway...

thanx 4 ur help btw

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what the extra is i pay for the insurance for the SDi i would save on fuel anyway, sdis have better fuel comsuption i think. mainly cus theyre diesel.

why wud i get tired of it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm a new driver, 13 months...but i'm 25...some/most insurers wouldn't touch me with either my Cold Air Intake or my Milltek. Elephant wouldn't take me cos of my CAI. Direct Line wanted me to be driving 2 yrs. Ended up paying over the odds and going to Liverpool Victoria. Just in case you were interested in doing mods to your car, whatever you decide to go for!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason im going for the golf is because its a good safe car to drive, if it was up to me i would be driving about in a banger. lol. my dad wants me to be safe so im getting one. i dont think ill be doing too much modding to it tho, may just add the anni valances and some rcr tailights. maybe some rs4 alloys, but i dont have to insure them techinichally, do i? If i dont insure my alloys etc. all that will happen is if my car gets stolen i just wont get any extra money for them, am i correct, sorry im still learning about insurance.

cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, thanks for the advice ill have a think about it. i might go for a mk3, ill have a look around. besides ive got to pass my test yet anyway! lol

cheers for all ur advice

ben

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've got an SDi and believe me you wont get bored with it I've had mine for nearly 2 and half years now and it is cheaper to own than the 1.4 and more torquey. The insurance is group 4 for the SDi or a 1.4 so they are the exact same insurance wise and if you do go for a TDi (90) (next model up) your insurance doubles to group 8. The SDi is a good choice and if you really want a Golf dont go for a Polo - had 3 of them before I got my Golf and am more than happy with it. Thats my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realli want a mkiv, im in love with them, and if it means that i have to save up a bit longer for insurance. so be it. i cant see how i would get bored with an sdi, besides it beats the s**t out of most peoples cars anyway. ive had a quick look at some quotes from insurance companys, theyre looking alright actually, i can afford it anyway, just as long as they dont screw me with $hi*Ty rules like the england flags, besides, like theyre gonna find out!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's a good attitude to have fella! It's a CERTAINTY that they'll find out at the most inconvenient time (like when you've had an accident) and they'll declare you void. Then you get charged with no insurance, have to pay for any damages out of your 17 yr old pocket AND your car is smashed up.

Just isn't worth the crap. It's been discussed many times...and the best option is to bite the bullet and pay the extra insurance. I'm sure that many people get away with it but where do you draw the line? Not declaring your england flag? wheels? CAI? Suspension? At what point do you start declaring your mods?

As for buying an SDi...if that's what you want, then go for it! Don't let people put you off but the guys (and gurlys) on here know their stuff...they'll advise you the best they can...but that chat should be posted in another forum (not insurance).

Good luck in getting what you want...and good luck in your test!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Quote: posted by daflyingfinn on 28/10/2004 00:05:28

SDI's r for oldies young man

Nah there not mate I'm 27 (dont say thats old) and I've got one. Wanted a black 5 door TDi (90) which were impossible to find 2nd hand but managed to find my SDi and am well happ with it, the only thing I miss is central locking, but I can live without it. Anyway no mk iv is for oldies there for everyone with good taste[:D]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts