Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it renewal time at the end of the month. so i found a great quote online from admiral of £694. my current insurer (elephant.co.uk) gave me a renewal price of £827 (without the extras added, to keep this simple).

i phoned up elephant to see if they would match the price, the first thing they said was "yes, we can match the price, we just need to double check the details". so we went through it all and everything was fine, i was then put on hold while they checked a few things. when they came back they said they couldnt match the price because the cars dont match. both quotes used my registration number to find the car. so we went through the car details and agreed that both quotes were for a golf V5 2001 2.3litre hatchback petrol manual. but still she says the cars dont match.

so i asked for an updated renewal through the post with all the new details and the price they want me to pay and said i would have to go and think about it.

i think i want to just cancel elephant and go with admiral.

but what are they trying to pull in regards to the car?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'd say it was a computer hitch, it makes no difference whether your with admiral or elephant as they are sister companies, I do this at every renewal, find quotes from bell or admiral and just give elephant the details then they match the price.

They don't want to lose your custom, even though they are sister companies they still compete, i'd say phone up again and see what is said, if nothing is done ask to speak to a manager.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i cant help you on that one but when doing insurance quotes on money supermarket putting my girlfriend on who is only a provisional liscence holder makes it cheaper than having just me with 5 years ncb. i realy dnt know how they work these things out. admiral also seem to be coming in cheaper than everyone else.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's also the same for me when getting quotes. I add my girlfriend who has less no claims on her policy and has been driving for 4 years less than me and it puts the price down. It doesn't make any sense but now I always put her on my policy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
putting your wife / girlfriend on your policy nearly always drops the price. Insurers must thing because you are in a relationship you must be more responsible or something

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
thanks guys, ive got my gf and my dad as named drivers, last year i just had my mum but she lost her no claims and she wasnt even at fault. this year my dads name lowered the quote by a hell of a lot, and the gfs name i added after saved me about another 30£.

another odd thing is that elephant dont apear on any of my confused.com quotes but admiral is consistantly the highest quote. with all others bellow it being over £2k, yet elephant still match admirals price over the phone, providing the car details match...beggining to wonder how many cars have my number plate...

raymk4, when the new renewal docs arrive i'll do just that. if they cant sort it on the phone there and then and the manager cant help, i'll just tell them im off to admiral. by that time there will only be 1 or 2 days before i need to have paid my insurance.

i'll mention a potential computer glitch to them too.

thanks guys, will update near the end of the week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts