Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone can help me, but my insurance is due [:(]

I've got a 1.8t 99 reg standard... I'm 24 got 4 years protected no claims maybe 5 years but don't know exactly how the protected no claims works? (still waiting for Sainbury's insurance to get back in touch with me), I also have had 1 accident earlier this year (not in the Golf thankfully).

Just wondering if anyone is in similar position to me because my quote has sky rocketed and I'm struggling to get it for under a grand, has anyone got it cheaper is so where? I've tried majority of big names but not getting very far.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Struggling for under a grand [:|]

I insured my V5 170 last year at 22 with 5 years NCD, 3 points and no crashes for under ?600 fully comp with protected NCD.

Try Admiral, Elephant and Privilege, those are the ones I usually go with as they offer me the best quotes and decent cover/excesses etc

I already have a quote for this year (Feb) on my current car, a 1.8 Renault 19, TPFT with protected NCB, 6 years NCB, clean licence, for under ?200.

I'm sure you could get that figure down to around ?600 if you shop around. Just try every online insurer, thats what I do (I am presuming this accident didnt go against your record...?)

·
Registered
842 Posts
hi all.

had a problem myself with insurance.... but got it sorted... i'm 25 and had been on my mums insurance since i was 17. i went out and brought a 1.8t gti and then thought i need insurance... everyone quoted me between ?1500-?3000. went onto admiral.com and i got the 10month bonus accelorator for ?500 with a ?250 excess.

up for renewal a week after of 26 birthday, hopefully it will drop a little.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If the NCB is protected, then you should be able to still have normal insurance costs? They shouldn't be astronomical!

I'm with ecarinsurance.co.uk/.com. I'm 22, have 1 NCB, 1 Accident and a licence for 4 and a half years. I'm paying ?630 fully comp with breakdown, glass and legal. Admittedly, I live on an airbase so that helps a little bit!

ecarinsurance Are part of Southern Rock, so they are a ruputiable company!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
i've got a 1.8t 99 reg standard... I'm 24 got 4 years protected no claims?

Just wondering if anyone is in similar position to me because my quote has sky rocketed and I'm struggling to get it for under?a grand,
?

?1k?? Thats a bit steep. Im 24, 5 years NCD and its ?1400 on the M3. [:S]
Thats group 20, whats a 1.8T??As I understand it, protected NCD means if you have a crash, you don't lose years NCD. So your accident shouldn't alter the quote much. On the other hand if you had, say, 5 years NCB unprotected and a crash, it drops to 3 years.?Try www.insuresupermarket.co.uk and www.belldirect.co.uk , they offer pretty good quotes and should get yours down alot

·
Registered
139 Posts
try elephant.co.uk

its the best. im 22 and drive 1.8T 99reg. im fully comp without any no claims. it cost me ?747

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, i agree with d4vee, Elephant are very good

My renewal was ?839, im 22 had 2yrs NCB on a v5 Bora.

Ive since crashed and made a claim so that went up to ?2390. :(

I'll be insuring under my mums name till im 25 now

·
Registered
228 Posts
i'm with ecarinsurance.co.uk aswel, these were the cheapest for the rover when i was 18 an now 19 and still the cheapest i found for the bora, i was on my dads when i first past at 17 so i have no ncb until may so hopefully it might go down a bit more!!although i just got a quote with more than an they beat it by ?160

·
Registered
530 Posts
firstly im from N Ireland, so Car Insurance here is steep. Anyway im 25 have 4Yrs NCB and drive a 115 GT TDI and im paying ?430 fully comp through Abbey Brokers who got me insured with AIG. No complaints so far, touch wood!

You best bet is to s elect a few insurance companies and play them off each other, it worked for me!

Good Luck

Noel

·
Registered
137 Posts
As I understand it Protected NCB isn't the silver bullet a lot of folk, quite reasonably assume it is. As I understand it it works on the basis that your paying to protect your % off the base price discount rather than the insurance quote itself. For example lets say you had 3 year NCB. Your base quote for a GTI might be :-

?1000 (-50% for 3 years NCB) so you'd pay ?500

Base Quote - NCB% - Quote

If you had an accident and had to renew your insurance your base figure quote would go up but you'd still gain the same percentage off for 3 years NCB. Say your base quote goes up to ?1500 for the accident. If you had protect NCB you'd still have the 50% discount whereas if you didnt you'd only get the 1 Years NCB (say something like 25%). ie

With Protected = ?1500 (-50% 3 years NCB) = ?750

No Protected NCB = ?1500 (-25 1 years NCB) = ?1125

The above figures are all made up but it should give you an idea of what i mean. Basically it means that if you have an accident your quote will go up even if you have protected NCB (just not as much as without it). I'm not sure if Protected NCB is transferable from one insurnace company to another so in the above example you may find other insurers would only treat you as having 1 years NCB even though you'd protected it. Makes me think it's a bit of a scam tbh as it doesn't exactly do what it says on the tin!

Best bet as always is to shop around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys!

does anyone know if you take a new policy out without paying extra to protect your no claims, would you lose all your no claims if your was to make a claim like if you wrote your car off?

e.g 9yrs NCB crashed cars a write-off. would you lose the whole 9yrs or 2yrs or what?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Depends on the insurer I think, mine takes 5 years off, e.g. 9yrs un-protected NCB, have a crash/write-off, you end up with 4yrs. Less than 5yrs NCB = 0 NCB after a claim.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was with Admiral. At renewal, I got it ?100 cheaper with Elephant (with mods declared). And Admiral and Elephant are one and the same!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depends on the insurer I think, mine takes 5 years off, e.g. 9yrs un-protected NCB, have a crash/write-off, you end up with 4yrs. Less than 5yrs NCB = 0 NCB after a claim.
Really? I thought you lost 2 years by law when you make a claim. You'd assume there would have to be a legal standard for it to work?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was with Admiral. At renewal, I got it ?100 cheaper with Elephant (with mods declared). And Admiral and Elephant are one and the same!
same here!

bloody confusing, isn't it lol

Happy New Year

Cheers

Noel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts