Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How chuffed am I, just got my insurance renewal in £780 Fully Comp for my 1.8 T with mods declared. I did a quote online a few weeks ago and it was £1500 quid and I couldn't believe it, double for what I paid last year.

I even phoned Brenacre (run by Club Gti) to see if I could get it cheaper by using my Gti membership Discount, the guy was really nice, told me he couldn't match it however, and that I should take that price and run lol as it is excellent for my age and what car I drive.

Its great being a woman lol [:D]

·
Registered
158 Posts
that;s a pretty sweet quote Donna. I've got my renewal next month, and I'm going to tell them about most of the mods, but i'm kinda scared how much it's going to go up. I paid £450 last year, but that's for a standard GTI [:I]

So which company did you go with in the end?

Do they cover you third party on other cars?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with Elephant, the thing I was worried about is that I have an outstanding claim from last year and I didn't know if they would give me my no claims bonus, but they did. Some guy ran into the back of me 10 days after I bought the car last year and he is now denying it, I have a court case in November to settle it. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that they will back out before hand, as they have already backed down to a 50/50 which I refused.

I have declared my Alloys non Standard, Suspension lowered, Front Bumper and Tints (which I haven't got yet but am getting at the weekend lol) but if you change anything on your policy they charge you £6 per thing thats why I just told them about it first lol.

No I don't think they cover you third party for anyone else, but I wouldn't drive anyone's else's car unless I was covered, cause there is a load of legal crap behind that i.e. they will only cover you third party with the owners consent and aslong as the car is their's, so if like me you are paying your car with Car Finance you don't actually own the car therefore you would't be covered.

I'm just glad I did tell them about my mods cause of that accident, they could have made it void and not fight my case. Your better to tell them everything, its sods law you don't something will happen.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Bloody hell....... the best quote i can get out of Elephant for an 1.8T is £1700 [:(]

23 next month, 3yrs NCB, ok-ish area........ cant win!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a shocking quote, mine is up 14 days before my 23 birthday and I will have 4 years ncb, so not much of a difference to you.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I'm insured with www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk/ and pay £550. I phoned them to declare my new suspension the other day and they told me they now don't charge any extra for any mods. All they need is documentary or photographic proof of each mod. I'm still a bit sceptical so if you phone them perhaps you could get them to elaborate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
well it was Elephant I was with last year. 24 5yrs NCB protected. One non-fault claim.

I had the same problem with Insurance, where they were disputing who was in the wrong, but thankfully it got sorted in the end (even if it was not technically correct [;)])

It's a *** not having third party, but i never realised that if the cars on Finance then it technically might not be covered [:O] I'd better watch that in the future.

I'm definately going to be declaring just about everything, because as you said Donna, it's sod law.

So is that £780 protected?

That's a pretty damn good quote. I just hope mines isn't anymore than that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My policy with elephant was about £590 as standard (1.8t 25yrs, 4yrs no claims, one fault and one non fault) then I moved to glasgow and got charged an extra £150 then another £70 for the coilovers and another £60 for the 18's (They said if they get stolen they will be replaced with OE ones, but I think they will be more expensive than the 18's!)

I insured my last car (1999 Elise) with Elephant and it was only £740 with three years no claims and a fault accident - then someone ran into me and wrote it off[V]. Elephant took nearly 6 months to pay out even though the police concluded that I was absolutely blameless in the accident[:(!]!

However, I have reinsured with them as they seem to be the cheapest and they did eventually pay out (I haven't made a significant claim with another insurance company, so for all I know they are all like that when they need to pay out)

You pays your money....you takes your chance...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah if you go and look at the small print with regards to driving other people's car's there can't be any outstanding finance etc, so so many folk would get caught out driving there mates car.

No that isn't with a protected no claims, I have emailed last night to ask how much it would be and if reasonable will pay it, but I am a bit sceptical as I could pay it out, not win this court case and it will still affect my no claims as if happended before I protected them, if you know what I mean, so I don't know.

I will let you know when they come back to me how much it will be.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Bowdie

My policy with elephant was about £590 as standard (1.8t 25yrs, 4yrs no claims, one fault and one non fault) then I moved to glasgow and got charged an extra £150 then another £70 for the coilovers and another £60 for the 18's (They said if they get stolen they will be replaced with OE ones, but I think they will be more expensive than the 18's!)

I insured my last car (1999 Elise) with Elephant and it was only £740 with three years no claims and a fault accident - then someone ran into me and wrote it off[V]. Elephant took nearly 6 months to pay out even though the police concluded that I was absolutely blameless in the accident[:(!]!

However, I have reinsured with them as they seem to be the cheapest and they did eventually pay out (I haven't made a significant claim with another insurance company, so for all I know they are all like that when they need to pay out)

You pays your money....you takes your chance...
I've not had any issues with Elephant they couldn't have been better with my claim, my Legal Cover is now dealing with it. My issue is with CIS who is the other's guys insurance. In the end what they are doing waiting for me to drop the case so they don't have to pay out, he ran into me, he is saying I stopped for no reason and was driving erractically. This was not the case obviously and he ran into the back of me while I was slowing down on a sloping hill for an upcoming roundabout, I was driving about 15 mpg when he hit me and the damage is very minimal.....but not the point as it was a brand new car.

If anyone reads the Highway code book it clearly states about stopping distances and you should always keep them, he didn't and is trying to blame me. The have already backed down to a 50/50 and I have been told that they will most probably back down the day of the case...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
quote:

was driving about 15 mpg when he hit me
god he must have been booting it to catch you [;)]

sorry Donna, couldn't resist that one

Insurance companies are barstewards and they will do the best they can to stop you from getting money out them. In the end I had to find another witness to argue my case so i could get my excess back.......and that was 9 months later

I wish you all the best of luck [:)], but you'll be fine

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
quote:

Originally posted by IV Turbo

quote:

was driving about 15 mpg when he hit me
god he must have been booting it to catch you [;)]

sorry Donna, couldn't resist that one

Insurance companies are barstewards and they will do the best they can to stop you from getting money out them. In the end I had to find another witness to argue my case so i could get my excess back.......and that was 9 months later

I wish you all the best of luck [:)], but you'll be fine
lol yeah he was going really fast [^]

Yeah I'm just hoping it will get flung out of court for wasting time, he was in the wrong.

Thanks [:D]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After all this talk about the case, received a letter yesterday when I got home. It was from the Solictors advising me that the 3rd Party have increased their offer to 75/25 in my favour.

Did they not understand my last letter, I wouldn't receive anything less than 100% in my favour for an out of court settlement lol.

The fight goes on lol [^]

·
Registered
158 Posts
ahhh there just testing the water........it would be great if they had a hotline to call..........

"please press 1 to accept our new offer"

"press 2 to to deny our new offer"

"or press 3 to put our new offer in that place where the sun never seems to shine, (and no it's not Scotland)"

"or press 4 to abuse an advisor"

Half the time the letters are automated when it comes to negotiating the claims. You'd be surprised how much of it is not actually manual.

Anyways all the best with it.

I just hope Elephant are as kind to me with my mods as they are to you!!

Bloody females and there cheaper insurance[;)]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:

Originally posted by IV Turbo

Bloody females and there cheaper insurance[;)]
It's great, us woman drivers that are just well, brilliant lol.........only kidding I know there are some shocking woman drivers out there, of course I'm not included [:p]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Elephant seem to be pretty good for fast golfs, just insured my 4motion fully comp for £656!! (26yrs old, 4yrs protected NCB) Tesco were also very cheap at around £730, everyone else I called was way over a grand.

Sometimes it is cheaper to put one of your parents on your policy as a second driver, the theory being that if somebody old and sensible is driving you car then you can't be. This doesn't work everytime so always get a quote for with and without before going ahead.

Also never confess to working in the motor trade, estate agency, recruitment or working in a pub - just say you are admin / clerical or a teacher - this sounds silly but it can make a big difference to the premium.

The biggest tip of all is to ring up for a quote on the last day of the month. Brokers are targetted by the insurance companies to bring on a certain number of clients per month - if they don't they are in danger of losing their contracts. So at the beginning of each month they are whacking on large profits as they can afford to lose a few customers for the sake of a quick buck. Towards the end of the month they are in the opposite situation and will often take business at cost price just to get the numbers up and keep the insurers happy. All quotes are valid for 30 days so if your policy expires on 15th you can still get your quote on the last working day of the month and carry it forwards.

Am probably teaching you lot to suck eggs here!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts