Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my GTi next Weds

Ring Zurich, my current insurers - ?340 to renew - until I tell them about my factory fitted options - premium shoots up to ?440

Trip off tohttp:/www.confused.com

Find I can get same cover with 'Quote Me Happy' for ?346 with all extras declared..

Just waiting for Zurich to call me back now...

Let this be a warning to us all - we need to declare EVERYTHING these
days to ensure insurers won't try to wriggle out of paying out in the event
of a claim.

As for a remap - forget it - neither NU nor Zurich would entertain it :-(

(This for a 60 year old with 10 years No Claims and zero points)

How very dis-spiriting?

Anybody here got any Insurance Broker contacts, please?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*DVD Sat Nav

*Xenons

* Leather

*Cruise

*Reversing sensors

*Winter Pack

*Lux Pack 1

*18" Monza 2's

?25k

TBH it was the wheels that seemed to cause the most interest!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Weird! First time I've heard of any factory fitted options affecting insurance? Could understand if it was something line a JCW supercharger on a mini cooper-S but I cant think of anything VW fit that would affect a premium [:^)]

·
Registered
182 Posts
*DVD Sat Nav
*Xenons
* Leather
*Cruise
*Reversing sensors
*Winter Pack
*Lux Pack 1
*18" Monza 2's

?25k

TBH it was the wheels that seemed to cause the most interest!
Strange I was wondering if that might be the case, being easily nickable, and very obvious and clearly desireable. Although in real terms the insurance quote is also based on the value you give and so you end up paying for it both ways.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guess it must have been either the Sat-Nav or the ?25k price tag that did it as it's quite a bit over the usual ?20k one? Either way I wouldn't have expected it to matter much to the insurers and I'd be hacked off if they quibled over those options if I made a claim [:mad:] As far as I knew no factory fitted mods affected the price of insurance but I could be wrong in this assumption?
It stilll shocks me the price a Mk5 GTi can get to if you start ticking a few option boxes. No offence but I think you're crazy paying over ?25k for a GTi [H]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes, you need to declare all non-standard optional extras. With Directline the ones I have ddi not bring an extra premium.

I must point out that you also need to check the small print of the company tou are with. Some robbers will load your premium but only pay out on a basic spec car if anything were to happen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, you need to declare all non-standard optional extras. With Directline the ones I have ddi not bring an extra premium.

I must point out that you also need to check the small print of the company tou are with. Some robbers will load your premium but only pay out on a basic spec car if anything were to happen.
..such as the Admiral Group of companies. Elephant loaded my premium by 10% because of my factory options - Xenons are classed as spotlights and a CD changer is an 'interior change' [:mad:]

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^^

That;s shocking! I'll be sure I let my insurance company know my GTi's fitted with an armrest and an extra pair of doors once it arrives then [:O]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ridiculous state of affairs.

Call Neil at Greenlight http://www.greenlightinsurance.com/ 01277 263030 and mention the forum.

If he's unable to help you then I may be able to so if you're stuck PM me. "Quote Me Happy" will do modified cars but I expect you called their Direct operation. Through a broker it's possible. Whether their price makes you happy is another matter but they are a reputable company.[:)]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fill the form in with Directline online and they don't ask you about any optional extras, nor can I see anywhere to tell them about them.  They didn't even ask me over the phone about them.  Also if you've got a partner put their details in aswell as this brang my quote down by quite a bit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt,

Yes that's fine - but potentially puts you into a 'Failure to Disclose' scenario - which could prejudice a claim...

It's a risk?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Fill the form in with Directline online and they don't ask you about any optional extras, nor can I see anywhere to tell them about them. They didn't even ask me over the phone about them. Also if you've got a partner put their details in aswell as this brang my quote down by quite a bit.
Directline have asked my about any options fitted on my last 3 cars - no difference to premium though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
> Call Neil at Greenlight http://www.greenlightinsurance.com/ 01277 263030 and mention the forum.

I filled out their online form for a GTi with Superchip remap + miltek 'zorst, and they came back with a premium of around ?650, much more than my present ?400 quid policy, but not too bad I suppose, for a modified vehicle (mine is not modd'd yet, I just wanted to now "how much" if I do remap it)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aye, similar price for me too, Peter..

Seems a bit high given that NU are now at ? 356 (protected) with all factory fitted exras notified ....

A ?300 hike for a 40bhp remap seems a very poor deal to me - I'll give Neil a call and talk in person, I think?

On that basis it won't get modded (ahem...)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spoke to Neil at Greenlight - VERY helpful and knowledgable - as I'm
not likely to be remapping the car for a couple of months he suggests I
go with my current best quote (?356) and come back to him when I want
to remap it.

He was quite open to admit that he probably wouldn't be able to match
the 'big boys' on standard policies - but his quote would stand for a
remap and a Miltek exhaust for instance...

So I think I'll go with NU Direct for now.....*

Thanks all for your help.

Peter - pm me or mail me at merlinmanATntlworld.com if you want to swap notes ;-)

*UPDATE: Volkswagen Insurance Services have beaten my best quote with 0% monthly payments - all extras declared :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.