Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help regarding a problem I'm having installing some replacement clocks. I'm using this guide from ross-tech: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-cluster-swapping.html

I have the 5 digit SKC for both clocks which should be sufficient to do the swap. However I have a problem when I get to step 9 as vagcom (303.1) only has the option to use the 7 digit SKC.

I was under the immpression that this can be done with either 5 digit or 7 digit SKC's.

Any ideas if an older version (or newer USB version) has the option to use the 5 digit SKC for this step?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok,

The 5 digit number you have 'I think' is only the 'soft coding' for the ecu which lets the ecu know what is fitted to the car ie. abs, air con and what country its in for emmisions, not the actual 'security code' which is 7 pin like step 9 says that is needed for re-matching the keys and engine.

If you dont have the 7 pin security number then I rekon you will have to have a dealer do it as you 'will' require the immobilser re-matched to the keys/engine.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5 digit code is the original SKC code, if you read the top of the procedure it states that dealers now use the 7 digit code but 5 digit ones still work. The problem I'll have getting the dealer to do it is I'm fitting VW clocks into a Skoda.

The soft coding is totally different and is not a problem.

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I thought the 7 digit SKC replaced the older 4 digit SKC.

Are you sure that your 5 digit code is the SKC?

From Ross-Tech:

"This procedure details how to install a NEW Instrument Cluster in Immobilizer-equipped VW/Audi vehicles with Immobilizer III (2002+ Golf. Jetta, New Beetle, Passat). As of 11 Mar. 2002, VW and Audi are providing 7-digit Secret Key Codes in place of the earlier 4-digit SKC's. Keys must be coded using the new 7-digit SKC (secret key code) method unless the owner still has the correct 4-digit code."

The only reference I see to 5 digit codes are:

" Write down the 5 digit number from the "Soft. Coding" field, make note that is the CAN number."

" Enter the 5 digit number that you wrote down as the CAN number."

·
Registered
808 Posts
Eddy,

I know what the codes are and there was never a 5 digit SKC code. When vw 1st started to use immobilizers they gave a 4 digit security code on a tag with the cars from new so that if you required to renew keys you had the 'Secret code' to access the immobilizer.

As time went on it was thought to be to easy to 'give away'[:I] this code with the car so vw asked that the dealer send a fax if they required it...........

However vw again tightened up security [8D] by putting the 'Secret code' up to 7 digits, which incorporates the 4pin code, importer code, dealer number and date and it required the dealers computer to unscramble and was only valid for that day............

Again however programs such as vag-com [8D] can unscramble the 7 digit SKC and as from October 1st 2004 in the uk you can no longer get the 7 digit SKC [B)] thats right not even the dealers get it, if they want to code keys/immo then it requires to be plugged into 'vw's internet' connection during the process which even for the dealers is a pain in the preverbial.

So unless you have either the 4 digit code or 7 digit code you will not be able to get it going. I can no only assume that after reading this your now annoyed that Im right and your probably stuffed but I did try to tell you already [;)]

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 5 digit SKC is a 4 digit code with a zero at the start. I got it from the a Skoda dealer, it's the same as the one that comes with the keys.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also as far as I know Skoda haven't moved over to the new system yet and it's the SKC for the skoda cluster which is causing the problem.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to post again but a Skoda Master Technician has just confirmed to me that Skoda still use the 4(5) digit SKC method. So I just need a version of vagcom that has the option to use it for group 50 adaptation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You can use a 4-digit SKC in Adaptation Channel 50, no problem. Just put it in New Value, click TEST, then SAVE.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I see, I was looking for a button to use the SKC similar to the button for the 7 Digit!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by weeloon on 13/03/2005 19:10:18

Again however programs such as vag-com [8D] can unscramble the 7 digit SKC and as from October 1st 2004 in the uk you can no longer get the 7 digit SKC [B)] thats right not even the dealers get it, if they want to code keys/immo then it requires to be plugged into 'vw's internet' connection during the process which even for the dealers is a pain in the preverbial.

That is such a restrictive practice, afterall who ownes the vehicle VW ?

If they must do it for security reasons, then any operation that requires the SKC used should be done free for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Totally agree, because of this GaryM is having to pay ?115 to have is cluster swapped despite having the skills and tools to carry out the job himself.

Skoda have a different policy and issued my 4/5 digit SKC after they were provided with a few details. Also this was given FOC.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well perhaps if skoda still have access to the 4 digit codes then perhaps if you gave them your chassis number and immo serial number they would give you the code too Gary, as thats all that is required for them to calculate it, just that vw wont give out the info anymore.

I do agree to them withholding the info as I have seen 3 stolen cars recovered after parts of them have been put into the dealers for recoding keys/ecu's etc and Im sure it has stopped a lot of theft which is well worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by weeloon on 14/03/2005 19:16:12

I do agree to them withholding the info as I have seen 3 stolen cars recovered after parts of them have been put into the dealers for recoding keys/ecu's etc and Im sure it has stopped a lot of theft which is well worth it IMO

OK so if we accept that route for security reasons - any procedure that requires the SKC should be FOC - I realise that the dealer isn't a charity, but on the other hand that is too restrictive a practice forcing you to use the dealer chain.

BTW I have my 4 digit SKC as my ex-demo from a dealer arrived with everything.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right, I've found a piece of software that can read the SKC directly from the cluster!

If you genuinely need it then PM me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have downloaded it and have a serial Vag-Com cable, but haven't tried it yet.

What I can't understand though is that the site quotes 499 Euros and yet the version I downloaded seems to work if you press start it gives a comms error, doesn't seem to need to be activated.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a serial vagcom cable which is connected through a pcmcia card I got from roalan. This is on COM4 and I have a built in modem on COM3. When connecting to COM4 I get an interface not found error straight away. If I connect to COM3 it connects but then says it cannot find the dashboard (no suprise there!).

Both vagcom and lemmiwinks work fine with the connection method I'm using.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts