Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our old faithful TDi has finally bitten the dust. According to mechanic the injector has gone and will need a new loom. Too expensive to fix compared to cost of car and miles (260k!).

My question is, is it worth looking for a second hand part or are they too risky and require too much to fit them? Do I just sell it for scrap or try and fix? If I'm honest, it's starting to look a little tatty and a few things have gone wrong recently. Didn't want to throw good money after bad. But, the cost of second hand cars is ridiculous at the mo.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm no mechanic, clearly, that's why I'm asking the questions. He said an injector has gone and it'll need a new loom. That's all I know. He didn't think it was worth the repair as it's done 260k, few other bits going wrong (door lock, boot leaking, head lining sagging) so figured it would be throwing good money after bad.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,804 Posts
He is right though - the MK4s are getting old and 260k is a lot of mileage for a car. They're now pretty much valueless so unless you're keen with a spanner you'll be spending more than the car is worth on labour every time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. What about injectors? Would it just be one that's gone or one of those things that it's worth replacing all of them?
It could be one thats failed. Might be an idea to pull them out and rebuild with new seals after replacing the loom if you still have problems. You can check if the nozles are covered in crap too whilst they're out.
You can't really break anything providing you don't try and do it with a hammer lol.

I went to my local U-Pull-It scrap yard and ripped a full set of injectors from another Golf. Threw them in my car with a set of new bolts and it's mint now.

The PD injectors are complex little units but the task of replacing them is easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of price are we talking about in terms of scrapped second hand? I've found a few VW breakers online. One wants £100 + postage for loom and injectors. Seems a bit steep to me.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
What kind of price are we talking about in terms of scrapped second hand? I've found a few VW breakers online. One wants £100 + postage for loom and injectors. Seems a bit steep to me.
EURO Car Parts are asking £623.09 exchange just for a single new injector and that's with 2/3rd off! £123 extra without exchange.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
As a novice, does anyone have any guides/YouTube vids on how to remove the loom and injectors?
You should be able to access information relevant to your car/engine here

The VW group info is extracted from the factory online ELSAWIN workshop manuals which are excellent.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts