Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to a few people about this and been told its better to get a panel filter than actually change the air box due to it causing problems with the air mass meter, would people agree??

Forgot to mention that its the TDI.

If so would you just recommend a K&N panel filter or are there other better options??

Ta [:D]

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a green panel filter from demon tweeks they were doing them cheaper if you are a forum member but i cant remember the guys contact details as i can't find the post.

Green filters don't have as much oil on as some of the others

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a K&N Panel Filter - Been on for 10 months with no probs.  The oil is added protection so I would rather bugger the MAF than damage the engine.  I cleaned my filter last week and the amount of dirt trapped in it was unbelievable.  So I know it is doing it's job!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I've had a K+N panel filter in my R32 for quite some time now, I think
I've covered almost 10k miles with it. So far no problems,
and performance was a little better with it.

I'd recommend one, but I wouldn't say it makes THAT much of a difference to power.

·
Registered
398 Posts
1. The panel filter is the cars air filter,normally they are made of paper,cost ?5-?10 and are replaced every year at service time. Replacement performance ones.... ie K&N, Green Cotton or Pipercross are made of cotton gauze or foam, are lightly oiled, and can be cleaned then re oiled at every service as opposed to being thrown away.

2. They are located in the "airbox" which is the big black box above the battery in the engine bay on the right hand side.

3. I along with many others on the forum use and favour the "Green cotton" filters,they tend to be less oily than the K&N so limit any MAF probs.....they are pretty cheap at about ?38 and available from Dave Poole at Demon Tweeks.....we also get a forum discount...

hope this helps mate,

Nick

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I have a K&N Panel Filter - Been on for 10 months with no probs. The oil is added protection so I would rather bugger the MAF than damage the engine. I cleaned my filter last week and the amount of dirt trapped in it was unbelievable. So I know it is doing it's job!
deffo looking at one of these myself shortly. slightly off topic.... is that blanka from Street Fighter 2 I see as your avatar???!!!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
1. The panel filter is the
cars air filter,normally they are made of paper,cost ?5-?10 and
are replaced every year at service time. Replacement performance
ones.... ie K&N, Green Cotton or Pipercross are made of cotton
gauze or foam, are lightly oiled, and can be cleaned then re oiled at
every service as opposed to being thrown away.

2. They are located in the "airbox" which is the big
black box above the battery in the engine bay on the right hand
side.

3. I along with many others on the forum use and
favour the "Green cotton" filters,they tend to be less oily than the
K&N so limit any MAF probs.....they are pretty cheap at about ?38
and available from Dave Poole at Demon Tweeks.....we also get a forum
discount...

hope this helps mate,

Nick
Great stuff ! Thanks Nick !! :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
The real question here, is if a "performance" panel filter will net you any noticable gains... I've seen quite a few panel filters/intakes dynoed on several TDI models and have never seen any gains over the stock setup.

The only exception was on a remaped Ibiza PD TDI130 that netted a great 4bhp gain on upper revs (+3500RPM) from a open cone intake. But then again the Ibiza airbox design is much smaller than the Golf one...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts