Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a backbox for my mk4 1.4 'cause theres no point in gettin a full exhaust with the engine size. Is there any point gettin an induction kit installed? What would the results be like? Would it just sound deeper or hardly make a difference?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i had one and it did sound nicer with a deeper roar at higher revs but the gain in power isnt noticable, well when you drive with one on the noise makes it feel like you have more power if you understand me but the gain is summin like 3-4bhp its worth ?60 odd quid for the noise i think but with you back box it probly sound loud as it is,

my induction kit got removed due to partents not likeing me messing around under the bonnet and the noise ,

lex

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheres the best place on the net to get em from. Is it best to get universal kits or ones just for my 1.4 golf?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i always think its best to get one specaily for 1.4's i got mine from www.awsome-gti.com or uk?
its about ?69 i think or cheaper you could get a pannel filter but im not sure what they are like.
lex?

·
Registered
569 Posts
As in the descriptions , one is aluminium + foam  &  one is aluminium + stainless steel , you get what you pay for , but they will prob both do the same job , especially on a 1.4 engine . The foam ?69 one is OK , decent make i have seem these on bikes and they seem to do a decent job.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

Was it the K&N one?

These are the market leaders and have been for many many years.

When I was modding the MK3 Capri , we had K&N ones on our car.

Oops showing my age....

If you need any help give me a shout and I can check it out for you

Take care

Sarah

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would there be a difference in sound between the foam and stainless steel induction kits? Otherwise i'll just get foam

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi mate. You will notice no power increase etc. I was fully aware of this when I was buying mine but wanted a deeper engine tone when accelerating a bit harder and not general day to day to work and back driving. The SL1 is the daddy imo as I found that K&N and Pipecross kits sound too deep and constantly deep aswell where as the SL1 gives a deep throaty wisp from time to time when you open up. SL1's also can be taken off, swilled, dryed and re-fitted. Not the case with Pipercross. SL1 also looks wicked under the bonnett. Worth the extra pennies for me. Have a search for SL1 under my username and you should find some posts and pics 

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers mate.

Was thinkin about gettin a Powertech induction kit for about ?90. Anyone know if these are good?

Edit - Arent SL1's from the Powertec brand? Do they roar? I want a deep tone and heard K&N were loud induction kits

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cheers mate.

Was thinkin about gettin a Powertech induction kit for about ?90. Anyone know if these are good?

Edit - Arent SL1's from the Powertec brand? Do they roar? I want a deep tone and heard K&N were loud induction kits
Yeh the SL1 is the Powertec filter for your motor. I wouldnt call it as deep roar but a subtle throaty sound. I have recorded the sound but its not very good quality. K&N is loud. Thats why I steered clear tbh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What K&N filter did u have mate. I heard the Powertec SL1 is louder because its metal as opposed to the foam material in the K&N range...?

·
Registered
628 Posts
KnN 57i Induction kit all the way mate, got one, sounds amazing!! Worth the ?70 for my 1.6 16v and the sucking noise KnNs make is amazing. Fittin was a doddle 15min job. as long as you got the right tools.

For a 1.4. you need the KnN 57i part No:57-0406

hope this helps!

·
Registered
423 Posts
What K&N filter did u have mate. I heard the Powertec SL1 is louder because its metal as opposed to the foam material in the K&N range...?
I dont, I have the Powertec SL1. I decided against the K&N as I prefered the sound and looks of the Powertec. Easier to maintain aswell. Its a matter of taste and what you are in to I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts