Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Been reading thorugh some posts and a few times I've seen Dynatwist mentioned, not wanting to impulsivly buy an induction kit off the shelf I'm after a little advice regarding them, Im quite familiar with Jap Performance (Blitz, Apex'i etc) but this is my First German Car and was wondering what the better Kit was, I'm looking for an Exhaust too, my Boss had a Miltek on his TT and was really impressed with it ... any other views???

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'll shortly be getting an ABD LAN CAI with Green Cotton filter instead of the normal K&N, very similar design to Carbonio but much nicer.

I know I have publically slated CAI's, especially after the Dynatwist I had but its time to try another one!!

I'll be replacing the red silicone piping with blue to match my blue samco TIP and boost pipes.

ABD LAN CAI

Posted Image

CARBONIO CAI

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What sort of problems did you have with the Dynatwist Gary?

I only ask as i've just purchased one myself from another forum member

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No problems as such, just that my airflow readings could have been better.

I was getting 163g/s at best with the Dynatwist but now get 184g/s with a smoothed stock airbox, the 80mm ducting as supplied with the Dynatwist and a Green Cotton panel filter though I did log over 190g/s in winter.

It'll be interesting to log the ABD CAI when I get it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: the ABD jobbie.

I never had any illusions that these kits were much more than a 'tart' mod. Something that makes lots of silly noises and looks nice under the bonnet, I ignored the various manufacturers claims and filed my ABD with other mods such as stubby aeriels and Toureg torches. However since the really hot weather started I'm convinced my car is running so much better than it did last year with the standard air box. I'm really quite impressed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a Milltek after everyone raved about them on here.... err Not all that would be my opinion. Fit is awful, if you are DIY fitting it gets very frustrating, I am not the only person to have trouble. If you are going to get one get Milltek to fit it. Also the tailpipe tips although stainless did rust over the winter... nice!

BlueFlame and Jetex make ssytems that exit through a V6 valence... Oh and stay well clear of Piper unless you want a headache!

Scott

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Can anyone answer my original questions????

thanks

Chris
In answer to your question. Yes Green cotton are a very good make for the VWs. I can't stand up and say they are the best make, as with all mods its comes down to person choice. But you can't go much wrong with Green

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input guys, I dont want the car to sound gash, or like every Saxo/Nova/Corsa you here .. just a nice exhaust note and moderate growl from Engine (with the help of the Induction Kit)

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Okay so i've now had the Green Cotton Dynatwist on the car for a couple of days. Big thanks to Matt H for the sale and quick delivery.

The engine has a much better growl to it now without being to loud, and the Froge DV seems to have got its fssst back. A definate improvement on acceleration can be felt and overall i am very happy with the kit

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I found the carbonio system to be one of the better ones out there. You only need to feel how hot metal piping gets on the other CAI's to see how much better carbon fibre performs.

On a side note, I found the carbonio shifted power up in the range on both cars I had it fitted too. In end when returning to a stock airbox I could see a defenite increase in low end power which made me wary of CAI's and their gains.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I found the carbonio system to be one of the better ones out there. You only need to feel how hot metal piping gets on the other CAI's to see how much better carbon fibre performs.
Can you honestly see that making much of a difference especially when air has passed through the turbo, its going to be a little hot then anyway?

·
Registered
680 Posts

On a side note, I found the carbonio shifted power up in the range on both cars I had it fitted too. In end when returning to a stock airbox I could see a defenite increase in low end power which made me wary of CAI's and their gains.
The downside of these CAI's, Carbonio etc are the physically low and dirty position the airfilter resides in, Very dirty is what they get. Keep an eye on them, and floods for their low mounting position, cos you dont wont to inhale water into your motor.

like what this owner said here>> http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/4/100537/ShowPost.aspx#100537

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

The downside of these CAI's, Carbonio etc are the physically low and dirty position the airfilter resides in, Very dirty is what they get. Keep an eye on them, and floods for their low mounting position, cos you dont wont to inhale water into your motor.

like what this owner said here>> http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/4/100537/ShowPost.aspx#100537
True. I think for short term use they are advaisable. But how many people are prepared to remove/install it when necessary is anyones guess. For the record, the carbonio I had on my old AGU did get pretty dirty with just over 6 months use. But, I did fit it at the tail end of Summer and had it on all winter...

I've never heard of anyone in this country hydro-locking. Some people in the States have reported it, but, then again, thats there own fault for driving through 4ft of standing water lol! [st]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
One of the reasons I went for the Evo CAI was the fact it was plastic type material... seem to recall they even say it helps reduce heat soak compaired to the metal ones on their website... I just didn't like the sound so returned to the stock airbox...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just looking at the picture of the ABD item Gary... looks like its got a pipe for the crankcase breather on it to? that will just be chuffing hot air back in the intake!... go for the Evo and put a Green filter on it?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Just looking at the picture of the ABD item Gary... looks like its got a pipe for the crankcase breather on it to? that will just be chuffing hot air back in the intake!... go for the Evo and put a Green filter on it?
Its not a crankcase breather, its the secondary air pump feed which I believe takes filtered air from the airbox when on startup due to the extra petrol being used on choke.

Carbonio's etc don't have this outlet so you use a small filter instead to draw air through.

Im slowly going off the idea of the external filter now, just can't make my mind up [:S]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts