Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
from what i have heard from a few of my mates...get a GREEN COTTON panel filter and a remap!!

Difference between induction and panel filters are that induction kits actually have an overall BHP gain due to higher intake of cold air.

Panel filters will allow more air through too, but not as much as an induction kit. Also the induction kit gives a better note [y]

Mak

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
if you want the derv to sound like a tractor then get a induction mate. im a great fan of induction kits when set up properly. as much as i tried i could not get it to sound well on the TDI, just sounds like a dog. i got a Simota panel in mine. Works as well as an induction with a cold air feed. they will both only get as much aint as you give them, and a panel filter will not suffer from heat soak.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
as above really. you may get more out of a pannel filter in the summer months when you really do need cold air to make power, in the winter months the temps in the engine bay probably wont get high enough to start suffering heat soak.

had an induction kit once, never again, too much of a roar! when accelerating, u end up turning up the radio to max volume so u can hear it then u sound like a C unit by making the whole street listen to ur music and your engine which has a bark louder than its bite.

pannel filter for me.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
as above really. you may get more out of a pannel filter in the summer months when you really do need cold air to make power, in the winter months the temps in the engine bay probably wont get high enough to start suffering heat soak.

had an induction kit once, never again, too much of a roar! when accelerating, You end up turning up the radio to max volume so You can hear it then You sound like a C unit by making the whole street listen to your or you're music and your engine which has a bark louder than its bite.

pannel filter for me.
is it me or has this dude got no name or info??

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
To be fair an engine will have a certain cubic capacity for the air to fill. An induction may force more air in but if theres no Extra room for it to go. It may give a slight increase but the main difference will be a cold air feed as it changes the density of it. I have a pipercross foam panel filter and its just like a normal panel filter. I tried a k&n induction and i found my acceleration wasnt as good, dont know if it was set up right. Inductions do sound nicer though!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
one thing you can also do...is get a panel filter, and with your filter box, drill some holes in the bottom in it!!!

I am going ot be doing that, with most probably a Pipercross panel!!

wont affect my insurance, but will also give me the small induction noise!!!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
one thing you can also do...is get a panel filter, and with your filter box, drill some holes in the bottom in it!!!

once again, to a derv it will sound like a tractor.

as for your insurance, if you crash it and they find holes in your airbox, they will use that as an excuse not to pay out if you tell them you thought it was standard or not. tell them EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
355 Posts

Drill holes = less power!! why would you want to draw hot air in??

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

drilling small holes at the bottom of the air box will give a slight increase on the induction sound and a bit of more air dont think it makes a difference tho i've done it and many others have done it with no problems at all so i see no problem is you do it the right way! theres a HOW-TO in the forum somewhere just search for it

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

drilling small holes at the bottom of the air box will give a slight increase on the induction sound and a bit of more air dont think it makes a difference tho i've done it and many others have done it with no problems at all so i see no problem is you do it the right way! theres a HOW-TO in the forum somewhere just search for it
Is there really a "how to" showing you how to drill holes? [lol-lol] surely if someone needs to look that up they should leave the bonnet closed!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
OK so let me just set his straight

Fitting an induction kit (CAI) to a car with a turbo is of no performance use because the air from the intake hits the super hot turbo and then goes into the intercooler to be cooled.

So in a car with a turbo a good panel filter (green cotton) will be as good as an expensive cold air intake induction kit when it comes to power (because both result in a slight increase in air flow vs stock filter).

Some people like the different sound that an induction kit brings tho.

Drilling holes in the air box will sort of create the sound of an open induction kit - but no real power gains.

hth

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

Is there really a "how to" showing you how to drill holes?
surely if someone needs to look that up they should leave the bonnet closed!!
oh well am just saying what i've seen someone needs to tell you what size to drill and where right?

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/146382.aspx?PageIndex=1

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

once again, to a derv it will sound like a tractor.

as for your insurance, if you crash it and they find holes in your airbox, they will use that as an excuse not to pay out if you tell them you thought it was standard or not. tell them EVERYTHING!
Now there is something i didnt think about lol....tbh with you buddy, if i was to tell my company everything on my car, i would have to pay alot more than i am now!!....I have declared my coillies!! But exhaust and tints...i aint done yet....

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
then if you crash into my car you will have a problem because the insurance will not pay up as your cover is not correct. get on the case mate as if you get a tug, and the old bill want to find somthing to get you on they CAN ring your insurance and ask them if they know about the zorst on your car. if they dont, bye bye car and off to the compound it goes! 6 points and a massive fine for no insurance!! your premium wont go up that much mate, i think with every single mod on my car even down to my stickers on the back window and the red bolt covers on my wheels, its only about £30 more a year. thats nothing to the costs of you spanking into someone, or getting a twunt copper getting ya car impounded. Insurance companies are arse holes when it comes to paying up.

Old man lecture over! lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts