Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can help me ASAP, whilst driving home lately as I indicate left I've been told by friends and the misses that my whole rear end lights up, my fogs reverse light brake light everything starts flickering in random sequences, and I know for sure all my bulbs work as I check them, inside the car the ticking then that tells me I'm indicating goes crazy with minimal time between ticks as does the green arrow it flashes like a strobe light any ideas why??

·
Registered
227 Posts
The relay for them is in the hazard lights switch in the center of the dash if all the bulbs are working try changing that switch easiest way to get it out is to take the cupholder out and push it from the back

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Sounds like a bad earth or corrosion of the contacts for the rear bulb holders.Take both of them out and have a good look for any sort of damage to the contacts or melted plastic around them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At one point my rear washer was leaking and water was all inside the light fittings but leaks been fixed for a few months and all the bulbs got taken out so everything could be cleaned and dried

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Well if it's only the rear lights affected like this,then it has to be something to do with wiring at the back of the car,9 out 10 of all electrical faults on cars are caused by bad connections.Also check the wiring going through both rubber boots that protect the wiring going from the car into the tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Only if the bulbs are damaged.Take the bulb holders out,have a look and only replace (or repair) what you can see is broken or damaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One bulb has blown however that bulb is always blowing but this problem has only recently started happening so I don't think it's to do with that bulb

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Also make sure you have ALL the correct bulbs i.e. you don't have single filament bulbs in holders for double filament bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.