Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When indicating left I don't get the green arrow flashing on the dash and none of my indicators on the left hand side of the car work.

I know all 3 bulbs are ok as when I set the alarm they all light up.

What do you reckon it is... dead bulb in the dash or a loose connection?

If it is the dash bulb how easy is it to replace?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would but my arm isn't long enough!

Relay... whats that I thought it was a race where competitors pass a batton?

Is it something I can check or is it a visit to the stealers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys,

i think i have the same sort of problem... yesterday i tried signalling off a motorway junction when the indicator stopped working. Then suddenly came back on again. Sometimes it doesnt work at all. Anyone else who's had the same problem? if so how is it fixed?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by rich1068 on 11/01/2005 16:13:48

Faulty flasher relay is yet another one of those lovely 'known problems' [:(!]

5 minute warranty fix.

Car's not in warrenty, any idea how I can confirm and fix?

How much will VW charge?

/Edit - All bulbs are working when the hazards are on

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sounds like the stalk to me then. If you have retro fitted cruise then its fairly easy, if not have a look at foxys site for the crusie control install as that will tell you how to get the stalk out etc. Its fairly easy. I reckon if you have the stalk, and the spline drive, it should only take 30 minutes to do. I was nervous popping the airbag out, but done carefully, its something you dont have to pay anyone to do.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sounds like the stalk to me then. If you have retro fitted cruise then its fairly easy, if not have a look at foxys site for the crusie control install as that will tell you how to get the stalk out etc. Its fairly easy. I reckon if you have the stalk, and the spline drive, it should only take 30 minutes to do. I was nervous popping the airbag out, but done carefully, its something you dont have to pay anyone to do.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to me about a year ago. Eventually I was left with no indicators functioning. I relaced the hazard warning switch which contains the relay and that sorted the problem. The switch is located on the centre dash. You must first remove one of the switches either side of the hazaeds to gain access. Push the switch out out rather than prise it as it has strong retaining clips. Simply disconnect the wiring plug and fit new switch. Cost...about ?10-15 from a stealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yip, both the indicators and hazards run off the same relay in the dash. When I had my problem, my hazards worked OK also but indicating right or left didn't.Replacing the hazard warning switch (which comes with the relay incorporated into it)will sort the prob.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't have the part number Giddy, but if you remove your current hazard switch, the part number will be on that. A stealer won't need the part number, he should know what your after by just describing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will need a hazard light switch. I had the same problem on my golf mk4. They stock these at the dealers and are easy to install.

YOu literally pull the hazard light out of the dash and put the new one in, Easy!!!

Cost about ?15 for the part and they tried chargng me ?20.00 labour.

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the suggestions, being handy with electronics, i decided to take the hazard switch out, take it apart, and give all the contacts and the relay mechanism a good clean with an alcahol based cleaner and a cotton swab.

Then replaced the hazard and to my shock, it works fine now. Must have just been a dirty contact(s).

but maybe its not worth the hassle for ?15...? Still a saving though! [:D]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Replaced the Hazard warning switch today (complete mare of a job removing the existing switches) which failed to fix the problem so it looks like it might be a prob with the stork.

For anyone whose interested the part number for the hazard warning switch is 1J0953235J01C ?13.00 + VAT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts