Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold My MK4 1.8T GTI 2003 and used the proceeds for this, 56 plate brand spanking new Seat Leon FR Tdi, 18" alloys Luna Grey, 1st deisel i have ever owned, very impressed with the car so far, had to pick it up in Grimsby and drive back to Edinburgh yesterday.so a good few miles done.comes with Mp3 stereo, folding wing mirrors, sports seats & suspension blah blah...saved a bit on the list price too.[Y]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.0 TDI 170bhp, very torrquey as you would expect from a deisel, access is via conceled handle on the window , see the reverse d shape, just there. if that makes sense. 

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nice FR! Exactly the same colour and spec I would choose.

Much critisism of the interior plastics by some members here, so how do you find them? For the record I find them okay, but I was quite happy with the interior of my old Leon Cupra and many on here slate those too! I had a mk4 Golf and an early Cupra and I don't think there's as many quality differences as many like to make out. Would love an FR TDI as my next car if I can stretch to one, and I would love one just like yours.

Amazing how easily those wheel arches swallow the 18 inch wheels.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice FR! Exactly the same colour and spec I would choose.

Much critisism of the interior plastics by some members here, so how do you find them? For the record I find them okay, but I was quite happy with the interior of my old Leon Cupra and many on here slate those too! I had a mk4 Golf and an early Cupra and I don't think there's as many quality differences as many like to make out. Would love an FR TDI as my next car if I can stretch to one, and I would love one just like yours.

Amazing how easily those wheel arches swallow the 18 inch wheels.
I had read about the plastics but when i went to see the car i was surprised what the fuss was about, IMO the MK5 golfs is worse its got that drab dark grey that looks like my wife's PUG307 dash colour, the FR has this Black sort of carbon fibre pattern mixed with normal black stuff its good and solid too, they have went and darkned the stereo facia so its not in your face like the silver surrounds on something like the vectra's, the pedals are out of the MK5 golf by the looks of things as iam going to swap them for the MK5 GTI's soon.The windscreen wipers are a good idea up by the frame at the sides, glove compartment is small but they provide another space under the passenger seat, MP3 stereo inc too with aux port for an ipod. Basicaly i went to get Golf GT but couldn't get a discount on it, and the basic spec for what you get i though was over priced. The Seat i saved over well over ?1K on, standard you get cruise and mp3 stereo etc, could upgrade to 18" which look better than the 17"s and met paint and still cheaper than the golf and the seat list price.Looks good too.Also the seat acc catalogue is very reasonable too options like heated seats and arm rests are far cheaper than the golfs and are VAG parts, i wish i had taken the heated seats as an option.Plus there aren't many around, FR's general do quite well in the residuals as do deisels, having tried to sell a petrol MK4 gti i know how hard it can be espec with dealers all they want are deisels, cheap insurance ?232 fully comp plus cheaper road tax i think its a good buy. i paid ?16.4k but have seen a guy get cheaper buy ?150.

remap in the offing too take it from 170 to 200bhp,

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
That looks crap [:p]. I'm not jealous at all, honest [8-|]

So when is Jim getting his hands on it?! Are you going with just a map or with the exhaust too? By the sounds of things, you might get the 240bhp we both had from the 1.8T remap and turbo back, but with more torque too!

Will be down your way soon to pick up those bits and 300kg of tiles for my bathroom! I expect a passenger seat run!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Nice car by the way [y]. Still not keen myself, purely down to the lack of Seat Stealers and the hassle I have had getting mine repaired under warranty. Hopefully we will get a few more northern Scottish Seat stealers soon!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your right there Allen, something i pointed out to them on a cust care form i got, oh and the crap plastic wallet i got to hold all the manuals.the wifes peed off with me constantly switching the mirrors in when i park up[<:eek:)] kids and new toys.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good show.

the remap will be after 1.5k miles i think, theres some confusion on how the partical filter(on the exhaust) will hold up to the 210+ bhp some reckon it will clog up.so the safer 200 map maybe the way until its proven.damn strange driving a deisel also still getting used to it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
good show.

the remap will be after 1.5k miles i think, theres some confusion on how the partical filter(on the exhaust) will hold up to the 210+ bhp some reckon it will clog up.so the safer 200 map maybe the way until its proven.damn strange driving a deisel also still getting used to it.
I thought that particle traps (and cats for that matter) worked better with higher exhaust gas temperatures as they burn off the residue better. One thing I was surprised about when I ran a sports cat was that I never ran high EGT's. I thought that the cat got clogged but when I checked it it was fine. Get stuck in I say. The VW Racing guys are running well over 210 bhp with particle traps and having a ball.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Excellent !!!

Thats whats gona be sat on my drive early next year, the savings over the MK5 GT170 is amazing, the standard spec of the Leon is soooooooooo much better than the mk5 .

Just not 100% on which colour, was gona be Black again, but after seeing a Yellow one & now yours, Im in total confusion [:S]

I do have my 1st mod already though, a badgeless front grill, ?25 off ebay [Y]

Posted Image

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got to agree with you there Jace, even in the looks dept the leon looks better, when you drive up my street the leon stands out but the golf gt few doors up, well it looks like any old golf,

my 1st mod is to get the mk5 gti pedals fitted & some zenon effect bulbs but nobody can tell which ones fit my car.also being the dimwit iam i sold my mk4 sunglasses holder on ebay when it looks like it fits the Leon...doh![:S] have seen the badgless grills on ebay but wasn't sure about the quality, what do you think of them.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice looking car you have there ! I have seen a few driving around and have been tempted to pop into a seat dealer's to have a good poke about one !

Jay

1 - 20 of 51 Posts