Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not just your normal ones, but the ones with a silicone mushroom, that you insert inside the ear [:|] As I'm off work this week I went on a shopping spree and bought a pair to try, hmm... They create a very tight acoustic seal as you'd imagine, which immediately enhances bass, but... even when the music is playing, you can hear yourself breathe, swallow, the wire rubbing on your face, almost like listening to a stethoscope and very disconcerting [:S] Now I know why some people walk around the street with big-ass cans connected to their iPods and Walkmans... Sound quality is number 1!

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I own those Sony headphones. I only use them at work and the rubberised sleeve has cut up and peeled back. They do sound good though

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a set of Shure E2C's and the sound quality is fantastic [:)] Brilliant for on the plane, cut out all the surrounding noise and allow you to hear the movies properly or get a nice bit of shut eye. Just watch out if you have them in when walking along the street, I've nearly been run over after not hearing a car approaching (I know I should have looked as well as listened....)

I got similar looking sony headphones with my W810i mobile phone and they sound bloody good!

I just bought a set of Sennheiser HD280Pros for listening to music in the house - they still isolate a lot of noise, but not quite as antisocial as the Shures (ie I can hear my missus when she speaks).

Choice of over-ear headphones was between:

Senn's

Grado S60

AKG K71

Couldn't get the Grado's or AKG's locally, but got the Senns for only $10 more than if I'd bought them from the states

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riiiight... So after deciding in the space of about 30 seconds that I didn't like Sony EX71s (which were not cheap at £35) and the whole idea of 'phones that go right inside the ear with silicone mushrooms creating tight seals and making you hear stuff that isn't part of the music... I wandered into a shop on Tottenham Court Road and bought a pair of EX90s, silicone mushrooms again, and twice the price [:S]

MDR-EX90

Posted Image

MDR-EX71

Posted Image

You get a tasty leather case, blah de blah... funnily enough I didn't think WTF have I done, just took 'em home, plugged 'em into a Sony A1200 Walkman with all tracks stored in 192Kbps ATRAC format and listened. Holy crap, this is Big Headphone sound! [:O]

I couldn't believe it, a revelation over the EX71s. Now, I'm no Golden Ears but here's my view. Where the EX71s have an overly warm/strong bass and a claustrophobic soundstage, as expected for small 'phones tightly jammed inside the ear, the EX90s are taut, detailed and still have weight and slam. The soundstage is noticeably more open and detailed, even at high volumes, no hint of distortion, just more... music. It sounds fresh. Where the EX71 renders a snare drum like an inflated paper bag being popped or a splash, the EX90 has snap and texture. Cymbals like compressed air being released on the EX71s resonate with crisp metallic timbre on the EX90s, you hear the decay better too. Hi-hats like white noise (OK that's a slight exaggeration) on the EX71s are smoothly presented with a more correct tonal balance on the EX90s.

The EX90s sound simply luscious in comparison. Electronic/synth pop from the '70s sounds fresh and full bodied, not like overly compressed/boomy, also been enjoying Dire Straits' Communique which I picked up from the bargain basement a few weeks ago... and with acoustic, like The Buena Vista Social Club, wow, those instruments sound like they're right next to you, a real tactile quality (which makes itself evident in other types of music as well). The resolving power over the entire audio spectrum is notably superior. In fact I've just been enjoying listening to music all over again.

Oh yeah - there was a huge batch of EX71s made with a poor grade of rubber on the cord which has a tendency to disintegrate within months. The EX90s have a slightly thicker but softer cord.

The comparison between the two is like orange juice that is freshly squeezed against that made from concentrate, or steak versus a burger.

If you think, as I did, that £70 is stupid money for a set of earbuds (OK don't do what I did, buy on-line, peeps... impulse shopping is dangerous), Shure's E4c and E5c 'buds are well into the wrong side of £400 (and look like they came out of a Christmas cracker... but hey I bet they sound bloody awesome) [:|]

Anyway, some tech:

EX71: frequency response: 6-23,000Hz, driver diameter: 9mm

EX90: frequency response: 5-25,000Hz, driver diameter: 13.5mm

EX90 exploded view (or what happens if you play Bat Out Of Hell with the volume at 11...)

Posted Image

Some more pics:

The EX71s push all their sound through tiny pinholes...

Posted Image

The EX90s have larger, mesh-like ports and also some vents on the driver housing which probably accounts for the airy, open headphone type sound.

Posted Image

The much larger drivers on the EX90s mean they cannot go inside the ear easily, so they have an extension port that directs the sound at an angle into the ear canal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

DDTC...

Posted Image

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a pair of EX71s with less than 5 minutes' use on 'em?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should you be spending so much money on ear buds and then subjecting them to some of Cliff's warbling ??[:p]
So are you coming down to Cambridge on the 14th to celebrate Lisa B's and Sir Cliff's birthday? [:p]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nice set of buds.

The EX71s are absolute rubbish, I had a pair which I never used and ended up giving them away.

At the mo I'm using Sennheiser CX300's and these are the best set of buds I've had, at the moment Play have them on offer at £17.99 and at that price you should treat yourself as a set of spares (they retail at £39.99 in most shops).......

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/GENEC/271/351/-/880672/Sennheiser_CX_300_In_Ear_Headphones/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Also remember headphones do benefit from burning in, stick them in your HIFi for the day with a bit of prodigy (not Cliff) playing at a decent volume (before distortion sets in), and you will find the treble will become sweeter and the bass improves.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the mo I'm using Sennheiser CX300's and these are the best set of buds I've had, at the moment Play have them on offer at £17.99 and at that price you should treat yourself as a set of spares (they retail at £39.99 in most shops).......
That's a fantastic price, although I'd then have the EX90s, EX71s, the Walkman's bundled 'phones plus the Sennheisers... Not to mention my big proper hi-fi headphones. I haven't got enough ears to use them all! [:D]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a friend who had the EX90's. He tried my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros. He said they where too good for iPods and too expensive as well. 5 months later he got a set.

They are expensive I know but if you go for a set of these you will not be dissapointed especially if you travel regularly on airplanes as they provide great isolation. If you can afford it you might try the new Shures PTH500 or may be the new triple driver Ultimate Ears solution (triple.fi I think it's called).

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No no no... I can't afford any more!

Those Ultimate Ears 'buds look quality though. I wonder how many people encode stuff at a high enough bitrate (or indeed stop multi-tasking and focus enough) to appreciate better 'phones? I use 192 Kbps as a reasonable compromise between good quality and file size.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you serious?! Everyone I know disses the Apple 'phones... or could that just be the ones bundled with the player, which are often not that great?

·
Registered
398 Posts
no not the ones that come free with the ipod - those really are crap!

i wanted some decent ones and researched on various forums [;)] and everyone said the shures are great so decided to pay out for them

i find them annoying to put in and although they do stop background noise i find the sound not as good generally as the apple in ear headphones which go straight in my ear and feel a lot more comfortable

1 - 17 of 17 Posts