1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Brilliant stuff, have printed that out and put it in my 'car stuff' folder! I will never be able to find it when I need it otherwise!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumpety bump bump... [copied from other post]

As the originator of this thread, I tought I'd post an update.

Today I fitted a new MAF

What a difference.

Cleaning may provide a minor but shortlived improvement but if your using your car daily the deterioration will be gradual and you won't really notice.

What promted me to change it was my really bad fuel consumption, I was struggling to break the 50mpg barrier, so something was really really wrong.

Fitted the exchange unit in the car park of my local dealer and the difference is incredible.

MY ADVICE NOW IS TO BITE THE BULLET AND SIMPLY REPLACE IT, DON'T BOTHER CLEANING IT, JUST CHANGE IT. IF YOU GET THE FLAT SPOT / YOU THINK YOUR PERFORMANCE ISN'T WHAT IT SHOULD BE / YOUR MPG HAS DROPPED. GET THE CAR READ FOR FAULTS, IF NONE SHOWN (MINE DIDN'T HAVE ANY) AND YOU HAVE THE SYMPTOMS I'VE JUST DESCRIBED THEN CHANGE YOUR MAF.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Getting the car serviced on Wednesday, how much extra would it cost to
get a new MAF fitted at the same time? (he charges ?38 p/h)

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Getting the car serviced on Wednesday, how much extra would it cost to get a new MAF fitted at the same time? (he charges ?38 p/h)
Shouldn't cost much, it's a five minute job to change the MAF. It's an easy DIY job. The MAF itself costs approx ?70 iirc.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Thanks for the reply dave, i would change it myself (following a very
good guide on here, but I work mon-fri, 8-5 so it's not light enough
for me to do it, plus, I'm lazy!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I found a box of security bits to unscrew the MAF at ASDA ?2.97. You also get lots of bits that you will probably never use. Alternatively you can unsrcew the jubilee and the two philips that screw into the airbox, you will need to squirt ECC through the plastic gauze of the housing, you will do exactly the same job and save ?2.97 wow!.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it's a Vectra GSI. My mate had one and it had what looked to be sharks gills on the edge of the front bumper just like the picture.

·
Registered
221 Posts
very useful post, i dont think my mpg is what it should be but dont really wana give the delaer ?50+ to check for faults is there any other way of finding out, what about swapping with anther 1 mates got a tdi golf are they all the same or different, but to me it doesnt seem like its losing power, but to be fair its my first performance diesel

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer told me I needed a new MAF (though they didn't seem 100% sure) but you've inspired me to try cleaning it first, thanks a lot for that. One thing I can't find mentioned elsewhere, I currently get the amber engine warning showing while driving, if I do fix the MAF (by clean or replace) will this warning go out or do I need to find someone with vag-com to clear the fault code?

Thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I looked at this post before good and funny how to.

You used electrical cleaner didnt you? where'd you get that from?

Oh and I dont suppose that you still have the pictures? [:D]

1 - 20 of 73 Posts