Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought an imported MK5 GTI, reason i ask is there is a company in auto trader

selling them for ?18.5k UNREG & in stock, which i think is a good price, can anyone recommend a u.k company

that they have bought through ??

any reason not to buy one through them apart from the V5 being stamped Import and dealers giving less

for the same car even though it wasn't bough in the uk for trade in.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Has anyone bought an any reason not to buy one through them apart from the V5 being stamped Import
The V5 will not be stamped 'import' - it will look exactly the same as a UK supplied car. The UK VW dealers will however be able to tell its not one of their franchised imports from the VIN and yes, they will offer less for it, also you will have only 2 years warranty but you can buy a 'top-up' from VW UK. They will also allow you to register your import with them and are one of the few manufacturers who embrace imports to any extent.

The GTI is one of the few cars still worth importing as its very difficult to get any kind of a discount from an official UK source (broker/franchised dealer) although I would doubt this situation is sustainable for very much longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have first hand experience of buying through Euro Imports (http://www.euroimports.co.uk/) who source their cars from Denmark and I found them to provide exceptional service - well above that of your average UK main agent in fact.
Typical price - GTI 3dr, manual, black or red, interlagos interior, cruise control ?17,995 OTR.

Nowhere on the V5 does it say Import. Far from it, Section 3 clearly states "Declared new at first registration" & Section 4 then gives the "Date of First Registration" & "Date of First Registration In The UK" which obviously are one in the same.

The only way a member of the public can tell it's not come from a UK Stealer is by looking in the front of the service book where the supplying Dealer has stamped the book to say they have PDIed the car. Furthermore, with the exception of the Warranty, which only runs for two years (but I understand you can buy a third year from a UK dealer for around ?250 if you want), there is absolutely no difference in the specifications.

So far as the buying process goes, you choose the colour & options you want. You pay a deposit (?2000ish) via credit card so you have security from the credit card compay if anything goes wrong. You then wait for a call telling you your cars about to be shipped to the UK (or it's ready for you to collect from the Dealer). Only when you collect the car & have thoroughly checked it over do you pay the balance - via Switch/Delta or bankers draft.

In my case I saved over ?2700 from full UK list and my GTI was ready for collection within 8 weeks from placing my order, it was exactly as described & I would use Euro Imports again without a moments hesitation.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys never new about them only having 2 years warranty

i got in touch with a company. so i am hoping to go and have a look in the new year.[:)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
RHD EOS???

check out

www.volkswagen.ie

you can order your rhd EOS there !!
Where on that site can you ORDER the car? - this is VW Irelands website. As I said the Eos has not been officially released, how can you order a car thats not available? Please correct me if I am wrong and point me to the specific page but it seems very far fetched, you could only order an R32 a few months ago and thats now been delivered, this is still a concept.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i too bought my gti from euro imports...awsome service great discount
and way faster and more personal delivery than a vw dealer.....defo buy
from them again!

·
Registered
894 Posts

i got in touch with a company. so i am hoping to go and have a look in the new year.[:)]
Bear in mind that the warranty starts from the date of the PDI from the supplying dealer, so if the cars sits around for 6 months thats 6 months warranty lost.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Bear in mind that the warranty starts from the date of the PDI from the supplying dealer, so if the cars sits around for 6 months thats 6 months warranty lost.
Correct information - well worth mentioning.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have first hand experience of buying through Euro Imports (http://www.euroimports.co.uk/) who source their cars from Denmark and I found them to provide exceptional service - well above that of your average UK main agent in fact. Typical price - GTI 3dr, manual, black or red, interlagos interior, cruise control ?17,995 OTR. Nowhere on the V5 does it say Import. Far from it, Section 3 clearly states "Declared new at first registration" & Section 4 then gives the "Date of First Registration" & "Date of First Registration In The UK" which obviously are one in the same. The only way a member of the public can tell it's not come from a UK Stealer is by looking in the front of the service book where the supplying Dealer has stamped the book to say they have PDIed the car. Furthermore, with the exception of the Warranty, which only runs for two years (but I understand you can buy a third year from a UK dealer for around ?250 if you want), there is absolutely no difference in the specifications. So far as the buying process goes, you choose the colour & options you want. You pay a deposit (?2000ish) via credit card so you have security from the credit card compay if anything goes wrong. You then wait for a call telling you your cars about to be shipped to the UK (or it's ready for you to collect from the Dealer). Only when you collect the car & have thoroughly checked it over do you pay the balance - via Switch/Delta or bankers draft. In my case I saved over ?2700 from full UK list and my GTI was ready for collection within 8 weeks from placing my order, it was exactly as described & I would use Euro Imports again without a moments hesitation.
i'll 2nd that , i got my car from them . hatsle free and cheaper , my car only took 6 weeks to get to me also and i would defo use them again , infact my mum should be in a few months lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Del Wrote:
"Bear in mind that the warranty starts from the date of the PDI from the supplying dealer, so if the cars sits around for 6 months thats 6 months warranty lost."

If a car is built to order this is never normally the case because the Dealer & the Import Agent both want paying a.s.a.p. As an example, my car was PDIed in Denmark on 10/11/05 & I collected from the Euro Imports (near Southampton) on 12/11/05.

·
Registered
199 Posts
very true , i got mine in late sept (can't remember dates) but it was pdi'd on a thursday and i picked it up on a sat

·
Registered
894 Posts
Del Wrote: "Bear in mind that the warranty starts from the date of the PDI from the supplying dealer, so if the cars sits around for 6 months thats 6 months warranty lost." If a car is built to order this is never normally the case because the Dealer & the Import Agent both want paying a.s.a.p. As an example, my car was PDIed in Denmark on 10/11/05 & I collected from the Euro Imports (near Southampton) on 12/11/05.
Some of the bigger importers keep cars for immediate delivery, I lost a few months warranty when I bought my car from Virgin a few years ago because of this, so it's worth thinking about if you take the import route.

That was a quick turn around on your car Ali.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts