Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in the UK, you can get the MK5 golf in S, SE or Sport trims.

In Germany the trim levels are TRENDLINE, COMFORTLINE and SPORTLINE.

As i dont speak German, what is the difference in the models? What is the standard equipment levels?

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi check out the website for volkswagon ireland, it will give you the specs on the cars , asr is standard on all models but not esp which is extra, otherwise spec is similar but prices are very close with dealer discounts on uk cars etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'll find most if not all UK cars are one of these specs just with things added. My Touran Sport for instance says Highline. You can see on the sticker in the boot. I think countries all vary according to what the spec means even if they use the same names.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

goto www.autotrader.co.uk

put in a northern ireland postcode eg BT1 1AA

search for a golf with minumim price ?15,000

you will find a load of indepenant dealers selling various new Golfs with continental trim - trend/comfort/high/sportline.

eg 2005 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 TDI 5dr 5 Doors, Manual 6 speed, Hatchback, Diesel, 0 miles, Metallic Blue. Alloys, CD Player, Air conditioning, Electric mirrors, Electric windows. ?15,700

All advertised cars are in stock, so you just have to pick the trim and colour you want and have your new Golf within a day or so, a much lower cost than UK Maindealer.

As far as I know these cars are imported from Repubic of Ireland, or direct from Germany.

trend = S

comfort = SE may have cruise but not A/C available with 2.0TDI too!!

Sport = sport/GT without climate or may not even have A/C if price is cheaper!!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There is a full UK spec black 2.0 GT TDi available (in stock) at a garage in Chelsea. 10 miles on the clock and ?15,500! If you are happy with an import this would be a very low hassle solution.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You now get 2 years warranty, but the stealer really doesn't want to know you, that was the case with my Mark 4 a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by KuniD on 13/04/2005 15:30:53

Don't forget with an import you only get 1 years warranty.

Thought all EU cars had to have a 2 year warranty? That's why with VW and others you get a two year manufacturer warranty with a third year from the dealer network.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by GerryD on 13/04/2005 15:35:49

You now get 2 years warranty, but the stealer really doesn't want to know you, that was the case with my Mark 4 a few years ago.

Same here [V]

Bought my Mk4 in 2001 and had soooo many hassles with the dealer + 1yr warranty.

Never again. TBH with the kind of discounts you can get nowadays from UK dealers is it really worth going for an import?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
EU imports carry a 2-year warranty and VW UK will even sell you an extension to it. VW UK are one of the few, perhaps only, manufacturers (OK sole concessionaires) who acknowledge that you may have an EU imported vehicle and will allow you to register it with them etc, there is even a fairly large section on the website about this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you import from germany so you pay there tax. When you bring it back to the Uk, will you have to pay british tax (i.e. VAT)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought mine from an importer when I was back home in N Ireland a few years ago, mainly because I wanted a plate that didn't show the age of the car and within a week, the gearbox oil was leaking. Took the stealer over here two weeks to fix, but I would say that if I bought it off them it would have been sorted the next day, as KuniD says, never again

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote: posted by youngdriver on 13/04/2005 17:12:15

if you import from germany so you pay there tax. When you bring it back to the Uk, will you have to pay british tax (i.e. VAT)?

You will indeed, but you will also be able to apply to have the German tax reimbursed (you only have to pay one set of taxes). In all other EU countries they will sell you the car tax free and you just pay VAT in the UK.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by youngdriver on 12/04/2005 20:31:02

Thanks, do VW ireland and VW germany have the same standard equipment for the same trim levels?

I would doubt they do. Last time I looked some Irish "Highline" models (Touran I think) they had climate as an extra when it is standard at that level almost everywhere else. Also options in (Rep) Ireland tend to be on the pricey side. I bought a MK4 there a few years back.

With a GTTDI I imported from Holland the base Highline spec included almost everything you would want including things not standard on a GT here at the time - rain sensor, cruise etc.

As it's always been with imports, you just need to scan the list of major spec items and make sure they match or exceed UK spec.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my last car was a belgian import fully speccd 130 gttdi better equipped than uk car at that time with a huge saving, and the dealer was ok he had to be because every other car here was an import 2-3 years ago and they got very well paid for warranty work! Margins have closed so much now the uk car is nt much more expensive dealers here are selling eire cars ?13600 for a 105 bhp 5 door golf with aircon and met paint car doesnt have the esp and only a two year warranty. A uk spec car as previous with esp additional third year warranty and road assistance is ?14100 straight sale prices . To spec your own car from eire you could wait 6 weeks but the cars available are ordered with uk clocks rather than km clocks. good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts