Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how folks were feeling about their VWs, and whether they would consider buying / having another.

Can you answer by s electing the most likely answer......likelihood is fine if you aren't sure.

Your 'current' thoughts are what's important.......

Ta!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
A sicker for punishment me, definately going to have a nother VW next. In the last god knows how many years I have bought non VW cars twice and both times they haven;t lasted 6 months before I sold em on for a nother VW

J.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done the "i'll try something else" route a few times.....and like marriedblonde, i've been unable to resist the lure back to the stable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
6 Audi's and 2 VW later with 200K miles on each before I moved them on.

Delighted with every one of them.

I would love to move to an A6 but every time I have tried to get a TDi I have failed.

Living in hope but the Passat will suffice for now

Tom

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Having had company cars for many years (all non vag) I thought it'd be good to save a few quid and take a car allowance instead. I ran a Mondeo for a few years which was cheap to purchase initially but had NO 'kudos' at all, it was also slow even though a 2.0. I say slow as on the way home one day I got blown away by a Golf TDI (must have been a 150) it was as if I was standing still. I decided then I 'needed' a TDI as I was sick of the fuel bills anyway. Had my heart set on a PD150 but would have settled for a 130. In the end I got a cracking deal on a slightly older PD115 as sense had taken hold of heart.

That was back in June and I'd say it was certainly the right choice. I couldn't justify the extra cost of a 130 let alone a 150. If i'd gone down that route i'd might as well have got myself a MKV 2.0TDI company car but that way the objective of money saving would have been lost.

The 115 is still way quicker than the Mondeo and what i'm saving in fuel that i'm not buying pays for the extra cost of the car so i'm no worse off.

So far as the MKIV goes, I must say I can't fault it except the rather scary handling or lack of it. The Mondeo did handle very very well but was slow and thirsty.

As far as my next car goes, don't know right now. I think VW leapt years ahead of the competion back in 97/98 with the Passat and MKIV Golf, but the competition are catching up if not have caught up now.

Brand new between VW and the competition they very are similar. Except you pay the VW price premium for what is nowadays a very similar specification (VW have lost their lead). At 3 years of age when most cars come up for sale at the end of their company car leases (which is when I buy mine) I think i'll have to think very hard weather it's worth buying VW again as similar spec'd cars will be available at ? thousands less....

BUT they'll still lack the VW 'kudos' which I think is what we all buy into. Ford / Vauxhall / Toyota / Peugeot etc all have no 'kudos' at all, so on reflection i'll probably will go VW again.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really want you guys to reply to this poll, and saying 'important' i hoped would differentiate it from the daft polls of late.........

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well as you know i decided to go to Seat.

I felt that the majority of the cars in the VW range just dont appeal to keen drivers anymore. Only the R32 and Anniversary look 'right' to me, and there aren't that many engines that sparkle in the range. Aside from the two models ive mentioned, i think the cars look pretty bland ...

They aren't very good value for money in my eyes either... you tend to pay more for that 'legendary' build quality rather than the thing you want to drive. VW seemed to be stuck in limbo between Audi and Seat... both of whom have a sense of direction. Audi being the quality brand, and Seat being the more affordable sporty brand.

The build quality isn't up there with the MK4 Golf, no, but the driving experience and looks of the car more than make up for that.

I'm happy i made the switch, and unless VW sort out their customer services and the looks of their cars in standard form, i can't see myself buying another.

·
Registered
766 Posts
think i'ii always have a vw of some sort, although i'm heading more and more towards the airkooled stuff[:D][:D][:eek:)]

it a dub thing[8D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
before the 4mo I had been a peugeot man - yes they rattle aftre 50 thousand miles but I only kept em till then, I then couldnt find a natural replacement for my 306 gti6 so I went Jap and bought an accord type r but hated the lack of torque.

I then Tried VW and whilst I love the car I think it is not complete, it has too many engineering flaws such as maf, window regs, fans, all of which are very expensive for what are common problems that really should have been fixed on recalls! I also think that most sporty VW's (Inc Mine) are incomplete IE the handling and chassis dynamics on all mk3 and mk4 golfs just doesnt compare to sporty hatches from other marques and as for dealers they are second only to BMW for terrible arrogant rip off service.

IMO and experience VW need to start taking hints from there rivals when it comes to chassis dynamics, whilst I hate them, the focus has very good dynamics as does both the pug 306/306 and the honda civic.

They also need to learn lessons on customer service from the likes of Honda and Lexus/Toyota

I get far superior service at my local vauxhall dealer when I go In with my g/friend's Zafira than I do at VW

So to sum up I wont buy another VW because of the engineeering problems that VW claim are normal wear an tear! and also because in standard form I have found they VW's chassis dynamics have not lived up to my expectations, I would consider either audi or seat though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agrees with andymac///not faulting the car ..if u want perfection buy a porsche ..e.g this week my 2000 miles service come up on the display?why ..dealer told me cos it needed it ..hang on VSI .last service done on 11700 miles in june ,i done 2000miles since all motorway @70mph on cruise..and 58.8mpg and in 5 months its gone to service again..or is it the new dash i had fitted in august wasnt set right ..explaination unknown ..?200 said Mr Vindis ..i dont think so ..i said and was explained the car cant be checked out ..till next week ...enough is enough..u wanted honesty Jon well u got it mate...bring on the Audi A3 sportback or A4/A4 avant..proberly get a sensible answer off one of the fellas on here b4 the people at Vw can fed me more clap trap..

Cheers anyway J

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I clicked undecided but still VAG...

The quality in the Audi VW cannot match at the moment IMO - maybe in the Phaeton/Tourag but as for Golfs, Passats etc they can't even match the interior of the A3 which is hardly a top of the range Audi by any stretch of the imagination.

Having said all that I can see myself owning a MKV GTI as possible my next car...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Having seen the prices of the MkV and BMW 1 series, the real world difference in a couple of years time is not going to be much.

I'm heading for the 120d because.....

The Golf is just too Euro-bland styling, it's moved on from the MkIV and is dynamically far superior, but you guys are already changing suspension, so it can't be that good...? The 1 series is being talked about because it's different, styling has moved on and bland is not for me.

The Golf has a brand new 16v 2.0 diesel producing 140bhp.... wow! The 120d 'only' has a 're-hashed' version of an existing engine and puts out 163bhp... now that's got me interested!

The BMW is RWD, who cares if it doesn't have much space in the rear. I've got an estate car if I want to transport adults. I know from experience how much fun a BMW is to drive in standard form so with a chip it should be awesome!

Sorry guys, this isn't meant to be a Golf bashing post, I do still have a place for VeeDubs in my heart, but until they make something special again, fun and agile (no I don't mean another R32!) - sorry I'm off.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I couldnt be happier with my mk4, still makes me smile after having her 18months, just love that torque & how she shoots off [:D]

Next car for me will be either a MK5 GTI (Diesel) or the next gen TT (Diesel), although I do like the A4 Avant TDI with the S-line kit fitted[^]

I was almost tempted to buy an Black Exige a few months ago for playing at the weekends with, dam clarkson on Top Gear [:D] but thought best not too, a lot of cash to be sat there doing not a lot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts