Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car insurance is due for renewal in 2 weeks time..

Called Elephant to 'discuss' my renewal premium which incedently was £1835..

After a few amendments to my policy, the best price they could do was £1639.

Cool I thought managed to save abit, but not enough..

I queried about HiFi/ICE cover, and he told me I was covered upto £750 or 15% of my insurance premium (approx £240!!!)..

Ok, I said but my car comes with SATNAV - ie £2100's worth!

He was like - Oh, well that's not STANDARD MANUFACTURERS SPEC, so it's classed as a MOD!!!!!!!!!

In any case, you need to have told us, as this would have increased your premium last yr...

WTF??

Ok, so if I did tell you, and paid the extra, and it got NICKED, what would you replace it with (seeing as it cost £2100)??

Well sir, you'd get the STANDARD VW radio back, and NOT the SATNAV..

Hang on - how can u not pay out/replace something if you're willing to CHARGE ME EXTRA to declare it in the first place???????

He then said well it's more desirable bla bla bla..

I said that's not the question I asked you..

I carried on... so is my SUNROOF, LEATHER SEATS, CRUISE CONTROL, and even METALLIC PAINT considered a MOD to you??????

So going by Elephant insurance Logic (?!) if my car where to have a smashed Sunroof, it wouldn't be covered, as I didn't declare it as a mod? nor would they replace it, cause it's not standard equipment..

So what about my metallic paint?? if someone where to Key my car, you're telling me they couldn't allow a respray in metallic cuase it's a MOD???????

The guy was pretty useless at defending/upholding elephants reasoning..

So on that note I don't think Elephant will be getting my money this yr..

IMMORAL BUNCH OF XYZ's....... [}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would never bother with Elephant - idiots. Apparently Recaros by their logic are a mod - so if someone steals only one seat, are they going to replace it with a standard cloth seat?

Muppets

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeap, I think so..

I just can't get over how u force punters to pay extra for optional extras (SatNav) and yet NOT cover it!

Thats Immoral.

And the fact it's deemed as non-standard specifation to have factory fit options.. well I guess that just about sums Elephant.co.uk up for me...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What made me laugh was when the guy said,

well sir, it's not standard equipment.. we only replace to standard equipment in any event..

So I said:

Well ok, my METALLIC paint wasn't standard equipment either.. So what happens if my car gets KEYED up?? are u not gonna paint my car the same colour??

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is the exact reason why I'll be leaving elephant come May... hopefully I can find a decent insurance company though...

·
Registered
430 Posts
So do you guys think its worth paying lets say £500 extra to go with a "better" insurance company? reason for asking is I have just got a quote with elephant and they beat any other insurer for me by about £500.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Depends what you want out of your insurance.. at the mo it's ideal for me.. fingers crossed nothing happens though, cos the parts will be a bugger to replace! However, when I go down the chipped route, elephant want to charge an arm and a leg, or not bother at all!

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I'll be moving away from elephant at the end of my policy. Although I do get a good price for my motors

R32=£680 +118 for Stage II Remap/Exhaust (10 yrs noclaims)

Anni=£600 (1 year noclaims)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm getting so depressed looking at all of your quotes!!

I have a 1.4, premium = £1000(ish)

Royster has R32 + Anni = £1280

I can't wait to get some years and NCB behind me.

doh!!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I decided not to go with Elephant after 3 phone calls and they still couldnt tell me whether they offered Direct Debit or not!!!

Direct Line, although expensive, are at least thorough, helpful and quick.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 04/03/2004 23:13:48

I'm getting so depressed looking at all of your quotes!!

I have a 1.4, premium = £1000(ish)

Royster has R32 + Anni = £1280

I can't wait to get some years and NCB behind me.

doh!!

Those no claims make a massive impact mate, stick in there!

I was paying £1100 for my first car, an N-reg Punto 1.2.. worth £2500. 3year NCB later, and im paying £1280 for a Golf 1.8T [:D].. a car which is 10 insurance groups higher than my first car. Has been worth the wait!

·
Registered
697 Posts
But they are not modifications, they are optional items that is part of equipment offered by the manufacturer.

I think you would have a case to fight, for example.

If u bought a GT TDI second hand and it had a factory fit set of Santas, would u know whether that was standard or modificatoin, prob not. Sureley they have to insure the car on an indivdual basis, its not up to you to do the due dillegence for the insurance company. They must have an obligation to replace them like for like. Based on information you give them.

Just a view but worth investigating. I may go and look at my policy and see if it has any more specific details in it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Insurers will always want you to declare any modifications, otherwise they have ground to invalidate your policy, should you make a claim against it.

When getting quotes, you should always ask if any modifications or factory extra's will be replaced "like for like", even though you have to declare them, they may well not be.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have Recaro's in my 1999 S GTI these were standard....would they be replaced? Would i be looking at VW Sports Seats?

[?]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 05/03/2004 10:09:45

I have Recaro's in my 1999 S GTI these were standard....would they be replaced? Would i be looking at VW Sports Seats?

[?]

Well, theoretically, yes..... as they ARE standard fit. But, how could they source them now? They were discontinued.. i really doubt they'd get hold of a new set [B)]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by Chris on 05/03/2004 10:17:32

Quote: posted by Carlos on 05/03/2004 10:09:45

[?]

Well, theoretically, yes..... as they ARE standard fit. But, how could they source them now? They were discontinued.. i really doubt they'd get hold of a new set [B)]

I suppose leather would be ok then [;)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've just gone with Adrian Flux on my anni for £700 including all mods. These will be replaced on a like for like basis too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
elephant, admiral and bell direct are all part of the same group.

I have had LOTS of problems with admiral recently.

I bought a GT TDi second hand, it had uprated bilstein suspension, BBS 17" alloys and the full votex bodykit on it. I insured the car as a standard GT TDi with admiral as I was unaware of these mods at the time.

unfortunately I came off the road in snow 8 weeks ago, the car went to the bodyshop and admiral send out an accessor. He approved the work and the garage ordered up parts to begin. 2 weeks later I phoned the garage to be told that Admiral had halted the work. What had happened is the accessor had come back out since the garage stripped the car down and found more damage. the second accessor spotted non-standard suspension and alloys. Basically now I hvae to meet the difference in cost between "standard" VW suspension and alloy to the ones on the car. its costing me a fortune.

admiral wanted to replace one front strut with standard suspension and wheel while the other side is still ok and would have BBS alloy and upraated strutt !!!

just to WARN people of what can happen if you insure with these companies:

http://www.mini2.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=6313ad57989a66ecd2801dbc676e9f87&t=41373&highlight=elephant

1 - 20 of 21 Posts