Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the immobiliser fitted to a 1.4E (no central locking/alarm) is the same as that fitted to the other models, and regardless of that - whether it's Thatcham approved?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Cat

I still have the Golf MK4 2003 Model Year Brochure from which I choose me car (sad I know) and it says "Golf E" Electronic Engine Immobiliser, coded transponder. But it does not mention anything about being Thatcham approved.

Hope this helps

Brian

·
Registered
766 Posts
thought it was factory alram immobs (fitted to GTI's GTTDI's etc) that are Cat 2, rolling codes or somtheing,

if it's just immob they are not cat approved

i might be wrong though

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers bud. Don't suppose you could post a scanned copy of the grid (assuming it's in the tickbox grid that is says this?), I'd quite like to see that. Or show your face at a meet and bring it along [:p]

Any more for any more?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the sort of info I was looking for Gerard.... can anybody confirm or otherwise?

Will give Adrian Flux a call in the morning to check on their system, but would like something to go on their answer by

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it is Thatcham approved, even when it's just immobiliser & no alarm (CAT2)

Was unhappy that I'd had an additional one fitted for no reason yesterday because the fitters didn't inform me there was one there already - until I went & spoke to them & they're going to remove it and give me a full refund, no quarrels whatsoever [:D] Means an extra ?80 in my pocket

Thumbs up V-Tec in Cumbernauld [!]

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've been trying to find this out for ages too. I've got a Cat 2:1 alarm fitted so together with the standard Cat 2 VW immobiliser it means I've got a fully approved Thatcham Cat 1system

Thanks for the info [Y]

·
Registered
470 Posts
I believe that Thatcham have their own website which details all of the approved alarms and immobilisers whether standard fit or aftermarket. Can't remember the address, but it should be easy enough to find via Google.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I've got a 99 Golf 1.6 SE, does that mean I've got Thatcham Cat 1?
If you've got ultrasonic sensors at tha top of the B pillars,you have the EQUIVALENT of a cat.1 alarm,but I don't think they are recognized as such.

Chris.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Approx 90% of all vehicles manufactured in the u.k after 1997-98 had a thatham Cat2 transponder immobiliser fitted as standard. There are a couple of japanese and korean car companies that dont conform to Cat2 ( suzuki & hyundai ) but mk4 golf's all had Cat2 fitted, some higher spec models i.e The GTI, V5, 4motion and R32 had thatham Cat1.

Hope this answers your query

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you've got ultrasonic sensors at tha top of the B pillars,you have the EQUIVALENT of a cat.1 alarm,but I don't think they are recognized as such.

Chris.
Most insurance companies i've spoken to class the Mk4 golf with alarm as cat 1.

Just for notes all, if it is immob only it's cat 2 if it's alarm and immob in one then it's likely to be cat one (If built to that standard).

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts

Chris.
Most insurance companies i've spoken to class the Mk4 golf with alarm as cat 1.

Just for notes all, if it is immob only it's cat 2 if it's alarm and immob in one then it's likely to be cat one (If built to that standard).
A lot of insurance companies don't know their arses from their elbows,to be recognised as being fully Thatcham compliant,any product must have a current TC or TE number,i.e. it must be on their up to date list.
Some alarms which were Thatcham category 1 when fitted are no longer classed as such,the Clifford Concept 50 and 50X are a couple of examples of this that some insurance companies still list as being current when they are not.

Chris.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts