Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I not really scared of REVO. More the consequences of getting it.

My insurance is up for renewal in a month, which means I can move to a company that will accept mods.

This therefore means I can spend the ?500 sitting in my bank account on a perfomance upgrade.

I've been considering getting REVO. It looks great, it gets me excited, but it just looks to me to be too good to be true.

By that I mean, surely the power upgrades that REVO promise can't do the engine any good, and therefore will cost more than just a software upgrade.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Is there anyone out there who wouldn't reccomend REVO? Has anyone had any issues?

I have read on this forum of some peoples experiences of horrible engine noises when easing off the power in chipped 1.8T's.

Also, Whats the fuel consumption like after REVO? Is it a little bit more or a big jump?

Some Pro's and Cons please guys?

·
Registered
495 Posts
You should be scared. If it's your first mod you won't stop! The consequences are that you will continue to spend more and more money on pretty shiny things until you either a) sell the car or b) die.

Good to see you're intending to declare the mod. If you're over 30 try Liverpool Victoria but not the website, phone instead.

Revo (or any other reputable tuner) are certainly not too good to be true. If anything Revo are a little conservative with their quoted figures. All reputable tuners set parameters that are within the engines tolerances, if they didn't everyones car would go bang and they'd be out of business. There are other items you may wish to purchase at the time eg DV or TIP that will 'enhance' the re-map but really anything else is just down to self control. See above [:I]

You'll always find some people who wouldn't recommend Revo or whoever but you'll also find people who wouldn't recommend Sony or IKEA or carrots. I've had issues with carrots but it doesn't stop alot of people from eating them.

Fuel consumption is slightly worst IMHO but I put this not down to the software but the fact that at every opportunity you boot it [:D]

I notice you're in Sheffield. I strongly recommend you pop over to JBS in Chesterfield and talk to James or Kev. They won't try and sell you anything you don't want but see what you're after and recommend the correct course of action. I'm there tomorrow at 12 if thats any help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I highly recommend carrots, er, I mean REVO - I've had it on Borat for a while now and loved every minute of it. Nothing seems to have gone wrong engine wise, and with all that torque you can leave people in a cloud of soot [:D]

Like Rich says, pop down to JBS, James and Kev are really friendly chaps.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeP on 22/10/2004 17:43:29

I highly recommend carrots, er, I mean REVO - I've had it on Borat for a while now and loved every minute of it. Nothing seems to have gone wrong engine wise, and with all that torque you can leave people in a cloud of soot [:D]

Like Rich says, pop down to JBS, James and Kev are really friendly chaps.

Case in point here Tim.

Mike was at the JBS RR day and needed a new air filter. The stock one was filthy, he could have got a replacement from a dealer that would have functioned perfectly well but instead bought Green. He didn't need to but it's a 'better' product. All down to willpower. Obviously me and Mike don't have any [:D]

(Hope you don't mind being an example Mike?)

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Tim

There's a seatcupra.net rolling road day at JBS on Sunday. There'll be lots of 1.8T's there from standard to 350hp. You can chat to loads of people about there experiences of various chips and modifications to help allay your fears

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote: posted by rich1068 on 22/10/2004 17:33:45

You'll always find some people who wouldn't recommend Revo or whoever but you'll also find people who wouldn't recommend Sony or IKEA or carrots. I've had issues with carrots but it doesn't stop alot of people from eating them.

Any excuse to have a pop at carrots [:(!]

Why cant you accept that the potato is a better alternative and costs less??

You want to waste your hard earned on carrots thats up to you!

[;)]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote: posted by MOB on 22/10/2004 20:44:03Any excuse to have a pop at carrots [:(!]

Why cant you accept that the potato is a better alternative and costs less??

You want to waste your hard earned on carrots thats up to you!

[;)]

Obviously your potato is a more 'custom' vegetable but I find the 'generic' or 'off the shelf' carrot to be more than satisfactory. If not inedible. Ewww [V]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I bloody hate carrots - even organic ones, but I love Revo. You will get insurance even if you are under 30 from Liv Vic. My overall fuel consumption is slightly better after REVO, because when you are not ragging the car the consumption is very much better than standard. However in the long run starting to mod could cost you a fortune. How much will power do you have?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How true! About the mods I mean, can't speak for the carrots. If you're sensible the car will be fine. However, once you cross the threshold with the first mod, you're on a slippery slope. I only wanted a remap and some Konis. Two years and many pounds later I keep saying the next mod will be the last. It will though, except for the ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys.

Think I'll give JBS a call a speak to them. Would go down on Sunday but am too busy decorating houses at the moment.

In terms of the mods that I want to make, I'm only really after the REVO for now.

( And maybe a DV ... and some 18" rims ... and a full Milltek .. Oh no! - It's happening already!!! )

Also,

Potatoes win over carrots any day.

1. They're bigger.

2. They're much more versatile (Think of all the different ways you can cook them!)

3. They taste better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ive had revo for over a year and i would not go back.im no expert on anything to do with engine mods and dont know to much about other ecu upgrades but i do know that revo is the mutts.....and i hate cooked carrots,but love me potatoes

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 23/10/2004 17:39:08

I had the APR trial until it ran out

You must be the first person ever to actually wait for the trial to run out until you buy the permanent version.[!]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts