Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
ill ask my mate at skoda.. think it could be the MAF...

Overfueling still is going to give you the "go like stink" effect mate.. but im puzzled why your getting such low mpg..

My pic below wont help matter i don't think lol [:)]

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's really all down to the change in the weather...

Colder air = denser = more air to mix with the fuel = more fuel

Also, with the crappy road conditions your Air filters are really going to get clogged up more quickly.

So, really all I am doing is agreeing with the statements above :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm not so sure - this has been bugging me too. I am averaging 38mpg.

Problem has spanned a service when the air filter was changed. I have a Carbonio ready to go on too.

Will be asking mechanics to check EGR valve at next wervice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mines doing the same too my BMW diesel used to do less mpg in the winter too, I've put it down down to winter & just fitting 18's...

mines done 26k & is a 150

I might have a quick look @ the air filter too

the car was only serviced a few weeks ago & since then I have noticed that its been smoking a little......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hi,

There seems to be the same thing happening with the Focus TDCi, Around about 25k the MPG starts to drop off, on the focus it seems the EGR valve is to blame, some say the new valve (fitted under warranty) and a software update cure it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Well, i saw a good freind of mine who is a very good VW mech and i told him the story, straight away he said its the cold weather. So anyway, i wdrove to JBS yesterday for a mooch around with the SEAT lads. I reset the MFA for the journey. Once i got there VAGCOM was hooked up to see if there was only fault codes (NONE). Drove home (3 other people in car) and checked the MFA, 42.8MPG on A roads with a mixture of granny driving, and the occasinal blast. So it looks like its back to what it should be, thankfully. I allways use millers before a fill-up, and this time around i also used some Wynns injector cleaner on a full tank.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.