Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The golf is really doing my head in now. Im driving it like a gran, using millers diesel power plus, injector cleaner, cleaned the MAF, and still im getting poor MPG. Like 40mpg and its dropping FAST. im currently getting 35mpg, where i used to get 47mpg+!!! No performance has been lost though?! Plant my right foot and it goes like a train, but then the MPG drop VERY low. Whats going on? MODS: REVO, Carbonio CAI, custom made back box. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote: posted by Tabs on 06/11/2004 18:33:11

Have you checked for codes Mike?

not got vagcom sadly. last time it was hooked it (JBS RR) no faults found. im at JBS tomoz so i must kindly ask someone with vagcom to sort me out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not much help to you but mine has started doing in the same. Had 25 mpg showing on mine the other night but again I cant find a reason. Its a 130 aswell but with no mods so any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 06/11/2004 18:54:13

could be the MAF

if it was the MAF, the car would have noticable loss in performance, but it still goes like stink.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by PJ52GLY on 06/11/2004 19:30:12

mike may be air filter

ive got the carbonio on, and ive not yet checked that. it is on my to do list. the cone filter at the bottom of the bumper could be full of cack maybe, but i thought this would effect the performance?!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 06/11/2004 19:07:11

Quote: posted by micky 32 on 06/11/2004 18:54:13

could be the MAF

if it was the MAF, the car would have noticable loss in performance, but it still goes like stink.

not neccessarly ive heard that sometimes one of the first symptoms (sometimes) is bad MPG, so id get it checked, if i drive like a granny at 60 to 70 cruising i can reach 60 mpg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm having exactly the same problem. Same mileage as well...33,000. Economy is crap. Most of my driving is through the City and I'm averaging low 30's!!!!!! On a VERY gentle run It will squeeze into the upper 40's. Still think it has something to do with putting 18's on! Used to get high 40's mid 50's all the time before. The colder weather can affect economy though but not to this extent I'm sure????

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
MikeTDI - mine is a TDI 130 with 34000ish miles and at the moment I have also noticed a slight drop in fuel economy. Dont understand what it is but may be something to do with the cold weather - its all I can think of at the moment. Mine is due a serivce in about 1000 miles - maybe this could also be it.

Failing that I intend to take the beast for a long run of about 150-200 miles at motorway speeds to try and clear the system out. Maybe that will help. I run shell diesel plus with millers diesel power plus too.

I have a K&N panel filter which does not seem to have effected things so far, and I suffer no loss of power so I dont think its the maf.

Not too impressed with the K&N and thinking of getting a new standard paper one again every 5-10'000 or so - they are cheap enough.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sometimes i drive throught during the day and night and always notice i get a significant drop in mpg as it gets colder. Maybe the turn in the weather is causing this, perhaps fue to the fuel being denser etc....no idea though, just guessing

oops, just read the reply above about the cold ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
mine was doing the same but i did have some loss of power... it was the air filter being blocked up... I have only jsut done 22k miles!! -so i wasn't happy!

Even now I only see 40mpg (tops out at 48mpg) if i drive totally at same engine speed all the time... which is very rare. On the m-way i dont get more than 45mpg at most... and even around town the average run is 38mpg! But hey, its never been better or worse than that... though now i do see it in the 40s more often.

Sorry to be of no help, but frankly I don't hang around much, but don't drive too fast either and I am also not happy with the economy most of the time.

Inaam

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.