• Candy White
  • Standard Cloth interior
  • Bi-Xenon Lights
  • Rear Parking Sensors
  • Front armrest with 6 CD player
  • 18" alloys
  • Recaro Seats
  • DSG Gearbox

Looking to take delivery in May, with a 2,000 mile road trip planned for June [H]

Anyone got any comments on the spec - I am still a bit undecided on the DSG - but the missus likes it and she will be driving the car everyday [*-)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Ouch, some seriously big options there [;)]

DSG is an aquired taste, not for me but most others seem to rave about it (watch out for Neo (cmdrfire) incoming shortly to have a rave!)

Candy White - brave, I've only ever seen one of those - but it looks the dogs danglies it must be said [y]

If you don't mind me asking, how much is this gonna cost you??

C

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Remember to add Highline computer - only ?45 - well worth it.

Candy white, excellent (if perhaps a brave) choice.

Spec looks excellent. Personally, not sure if I would pay extra for the Recaros as the standard seats look very nice.

One other thing you might want to think about is cruise control if you spend time on the motorway.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Theres a candy white Gti here in Haifa that I see most days on my way to work and it looks awesome.

I've got the DSG gearbox and I love it but it does take a while to get used to it.

J.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Recaros on the GTI? How, where, when??????? Sorry to question that - but it's not an option on the GTI. Nothing in the 2006 price lists, nothing in any brochures, nothing about in any online configurator, in fact - nothing anywhere to suggest you could order a GTI with Recaros... so could you please explain -  as when I ordered my GTI I was told with a very high degree of certainty that Recaros would not be an option on the GTI in 2006 - only the R32 gets them. I'd appreciate if you could tell me more - since my GTI is literally going into build next week and Recaros is something I would have added. Thanks.  

·
Registered
894 Posts
Recaros on the GTI? How, where, when??????? Sorry to question that - but it's not an option on the GTI. Nothing in the 2006 price lists, nothing in any brochures, nothing about in any online configurator, in fact - nothing anywhere to suggest you could order a GTI with Recaros... so could you please explain - as when I ordered my GTI I was told with a very high degree of certainty that Recaros would not be an option on the GTI in 2006 - only the R32 gets them. I'd appreciate if you could tell me more - since my GTI is literally going into build next week and Recaros is something I would have added. Thanks.
They became available recently extra ? 945 for cloth version & extra ?2345 for leather version.

(No side airbags on Recaros )

VW notorious for very, very slow updating of their website by the way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
CarlT,

I think you will enjoy the DSG once you appreciate its versatility.

I would have added Highline computer & also cruise (but you can add the OEM cruise later for less than the factory fit price )

Not keen on the Recaros as I think they are too big & in your face for the GTI . ( just my personal opinion ) [Y]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have been and ordered a GTI today, so will be coming back to the fold [:D]

The spec I have ordered is as follows:

• Candy White

What happended to the Porsche? or is this in addition to it?

Brave move going for white IMO, but it will look good if kept clean.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have been and ordered a GTI today, so will be coming back to the fold [:D]

The spec I have ordered is as follows:

• Candy White

What happended to the Porsche? or is this in addition to it?

Brave move going for white IMO, but it will look good if kept clean.
Ditto what marc said (apologies if i've spelt your name wrong marc/k !)

Didn't you have an RS6 too, iirc. I remember you posting pictures and us all drooling muchly [:D]

·
Registered
207 Posts
They became available recently extra ? 945 for cloth version & extra ?2345 for leather version.

(No side airbags on Recaros )

VW notorious for very, very slow updating of their website by the way.
Thanks... I just phoned Vindis VW - they are repeating... there is no recaro option on the GTI! This is silly. What dealer has taken this order for you - please tell - as I want them on my GTI! Thanks again - much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Mark-He is right,they have been available to order since about November,see the Interior forum as there are threads on it.

EDIT-They have been available since 24/1/06.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks everyone. Yes, finally, Vindis have come back to me and admitted that I can have them, despite bugger all being said about them in VW sales brochures/price lists and web sites. Funny how I was told that "no way" will you get recaros on the GTI... One problem now, having recaros will put the build date back another month on my order to May or even June. I can't live with that, as the time factor was one of the main reasons I switched to a GTI from an R32 order back in December last year.... so I am staying with the standard sports seats. On reflection, the additional cost of recaros would have tipped the cost of my GTI over ?26k, a little too much me thinks...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks everyone. Yes, finally, Vindis have come back to me and admitted that I can have them, despite bugger all being said about them in VW sales brochures/price lists and web sites. Funny how I was told that "no way" will you get recaros on the GTI... One problem now, having recaros will put the build date back another month on my order to May or even June. I can't live with that, as the time factor was one of the main reasons I switched to a GTI from an R32 order back in December last year.... so I am staying with the standard sports seats. On reflection, the additional cost of recaros would have tipped the cost of my GTI over ?26k, a little too much me thinks...
The standard seats are excellent, probably the most comfortable I've sat in and every single passenger I've had in the car has passed comment on them. You want be disappointed, I certainly wouldn't bother with the extra cost or wait.

...not that they won't look cool mind!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Just get them put in after once you can pick them up on the second hand market ?!?!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ouch, some seriously big options there [;)]

DSG is an aquired taste, not for me but most others seem to rave about it (watch out for Neo (cmdrfire) incoming shortly to have a rave!)

Candy White - brave, I've only ever seen one of those - but it looks the dogs danglies it must be said [y]

If you don't mind me asking, how much is this gonna cost you??

C
Here I am! [:D]
But not too much of a rave about it as I'm pretty tired and might go grab some sleep... The DSG gearbox = ludicrously brilliant, once you get used to it. For the first few thousand miles, it'll be driven as a regular automatic, with an occasional "these paddle thingies are pretty good fun" blast.
But then you'll start to use the manual mode more and more... and the car will just become more and more fun. Once you get used to gear changes in as little as .008 of a second then you'll never look back!
I rarely drive my car on either Drive or Sport any more, unless I'm driving around London or something (or playing with Launch Control... still haven't tried it though). Everywhere else, even on motorways, it's just so much fun in manual that I don't want to switch out.

I really like the rest of the car you've spec'd out. Candy White with the classic tartan trim will look HOT, especially with the 18s [y]. Xenons are uber-cool, ask your dealer to make sure they're adjusted for UK driving though. Only two changes I'd make to your spec - add the highline computer (as many have said, for ?45 it's a bargain and yes, it really should be standard on the GTI) and I'm not sure about the Recaros. I was in the R32 Recaros a few weeks ago and frankly found the GTI sports seats to be more comfortable, but I guess it all depends on the person who's gonna be using the car.
Otherwise, cool car, looking forward to seeing you on our Autobahns (erm, I mean, motorways... [:^)])

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I had an RS6 that I sold to make way for a 996 C4S. [H]

However, I have had a real w**k couple of months, which basically resulted in the company I work for going into administration - I had wind of it the day before it happened and managed to sell the 996 back to the dealer I bought it from. [:(]

In the end the company was bought by someone else and most of the employees were retained. But, I had to sell the car before this happened as we could not afford both the mortgage and car payments on one salary. [:(]

The 996 and RS6 were both 3rd cars - so now we have decided to part ex the missus's car and buy a GTi, she will use it for work and it will be my 'toy' at the weekends. I cannot justify paying out over ?700 a month for a car that was sitting on the driveway for 5 days a week. I realise that the GTI is not the same as the 996, but it is substantially cheaper and more practical.

My lifetime ambition was to have 911 before I was 30 - I achieved it and will now move on to other things. I will have another Porker in the future, but at present I have other priorities [;)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck on the work/jobs front, Carl. Still, you can always get one again in the future.. plenty of time to play with [:D]

and a gti on the way too.. can't be bad. Ok, not quite as flash as a porsche, but a good run around nevertheless [:)]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts