Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a trip to the trafford center last night ive decided now is a good time to purchase an XBOX 360. Having seen some of the deals Virgin and GAME are doing i cant say no. For £299.99 I can have a full (premuim pack) xbox 360 pack with 2 wireless controllers and 2 games (PGR3 and something else) OR for £329.99 all that plus PES6. I was just curious about this online gaming thing. Ive never done it before and it sounds like fun. I was just wondering what the deal is to get it all setup? Do i need anything extra? How does it all setup/connect?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Xbox Live is the online gaming bit. You need a gold account which you will get a 1 month free trial of. Then its only £40 a year, it can be found cheaper if you hunt around. That will give you unlimited access to all games and downloadable trailers, demos, etc. You do need a router or means of connecting it to the net and either a cat 5 cable to your router or a wireless adaptor which is £60. It adds a whole new dimension to games and is well worth it. You can also chat to friends etc.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
I use to go on xbox live on my normal xbox, but my subscription ran out, so i am now waiting for xmas to come, and hopefully i will get a 360, then im gonna be online all the time.

But Mike, i just use to have a router with a cat 5 cable. I have an Wanadoo livebox, so i can just plug my cable into that and the xbox and away i go!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Is there any difference between a crossover ethernet cable, and a network patch ethernet cable?

See the cat5e RJ45 cables described as both, but are they the same or different?.....if different, which one is for use with a 360?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is there any difference between a crossover ethernet cable, and a network patch ethernet cable?

See the cat5e RJ45 cables described as both, but are they the same or different?.....if different, which one is for use with a 360?
Typically crossover cables are used to network two computers directly to each other, patch is 'straight through' and connects your pc/device to a hub or router for use on a larger network. It used to be the case that you had to use the correct cable or else you'd run into problems, but nowadays hardware and networking kit has cought up and network cards (or the 360 in this case) knows how to invert the connection if you use the wrong one.

So basically you should use a patch cable if you connect the 360 to a router, and a crossover if you connect it directly to a pc with internet sharing enabled on that pc- but as I believe the 360 has the ability to invert the connection it should just work no matter what cable you use :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So basically you should use a patch cable if you connect the 360 to a router, and a crossover if you connect it directly to a pc with internet sharing enabled on that pc- but as I believe the 360 has the ability to invert the connection it should just work no matter what cable you use :)
i can confirm that works!! i connect my 360 via a normal patch cable and it works a treat (apart from Media player 11 has ruined my streaming [:mad:]).

i have a crossover adapter which still works if its in or out, so the 360 is obviously a clever little device! [H]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry to hijack a bit, for online gaming do you need the microsoft wireless adapter or will any wireless adapter do? ie one from my pc.
I've heard of non official adaptors working, but that they can been quite tempramental. Theres no harm in your trying the one for your pc though, but if it doesnt work then you'd have to buy the microsoft version. Personally i'd use a wire as theres nothing more frustrating than losing your connection mid game. Wireless is fine for web browsing, you lose your connection briefly but it would never really interupt you like it would gaming.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
normal USB wireless adaptors wont work as they require drivers! The 360 one obviously works as its designed for it!

Belkin, i think, do a wireless adaptor that plugs into the ethernet connection, but requires a power supply, whereas the mircosoft one is usb powered!! You can pick that up quite cheap from places now too!!

Mines connected via ethernet to my MCE pc, which is then wireless to my router! bit of round the houses, but it works fine for live!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Cheers guys, didnt even occur to me about the drivers, sounds right tho, wireless isnt an option as my computer is the other side of the house and i dont fancy trailing wires all over the place. Have been looking at microsoft adapters that are about ?50 which i think is a bit steep for a wireless adpater, especially when the wii costs over a hunderd pounds less and has one built in!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Cheers guys, didnt even occur to me about the drivers, sounds right tho, wireless isnt an option as my computer is the other side of the house and i dont fancy trailing wires all over the place. Have been looking at microsoft adapters that are about ?50 which i think is a bit steep for a wireless adpater, especially when the wii costs over a hunderd pounds less and has one built in!
maybe, but the live community is huge, with so many massive games, with the ability to download extras, demo's, arcade games etc! plus, if you're looking at graphics, the wii is well, poor at best!!

not gonna get into console slagging though [;)]

you can get the 360 one here for about ?40, or pcword seem to be the cheapest at ?50 online

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-es-49-en-70-190l.html

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
xbox 360 is amazing and the ?54 for the adaptor well it is just one of those things, but it adds a whole new demenision to the 360, once you get it you will find it so boring playing just against the xbox 360.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yep, and now with the 360 Elite out next month, all the accessories will be available in black too!! what a joke!! Still, looks the nuts!! I have a black faceplate which looks ok straight on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Then have a look down this route : Clicky

Turns your house's power lines into a network, you only need buy two, one for router, one for the 360, then if you want to expand your network in other rooms you just buy an extra adapter :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
That sounds brilliant, so i just plug into the mains by my router, ethernet cable to the router then plug one into the mains next to my 360 then plug another ethernet cable into the 360?
Its that simple! Should provide for a much more stable connection as opposed to wireless aswell [;)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts