Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a multitude of things I am going to be wiring in soon most of witch will need illumination what is the best way to do this I know about splicing in to the illumination circuit but I really don't want to do this like 10 times, is there a better/more professional way?

e.g wiring in 3 new switches and a bora vent couldn't be wired in to the hazard illumination surely?

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
There's already a big bundle of wires under the centre console next to the ashtray where all the dashboard illumination wires come together.

The "proper" way with that much extra load would be to relay the plain grey wire that goes into the dimmer switch,but your new additions wouldn't dim with the rest of the dashboard.

The Bora vents take very little current as will the three switches,but if I was doing it I'd measure exactly how much current they draw before I connected anything up.The existing dimmer switch will have been designed with a small amount of headroom to be able to drive all possible STANDARD add ons,but I don;t know if it is manly enough to drive all that lot.

You really need to do the current draw test first just for reference and then try it off the grey/blue wire if you want them to dim or the grey if you want non dimming.If it is too much for the dimmer it won't be dangerous you'll just have to get a new/second hand one which at the most will be a couple of quid at the breakers yard.

Posted Image

Chris.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its all LEDs yeah but I want to keep the wiring nice and professional looking not sure thats possible if I end up cutting and soldering wires in 10 times.would it be better to slice in a group of wires at the same point them have them split off or join them in different locations?

Also does anyone know where to get fabric insulation tape that's similar to the VW stuff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts