Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it cost u guys around 10k all in all?? thought Jabba done the conversion for around 2k?

What else do u guys have to buy and or uprate? why the other extra thosands?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You can run it on the standard IC as tempratures are lower, and the gearbox is tough enough but a clutch is in need of an upgrade...

·
Registered
342 Posts
conversion costs more like ?3-3.5k with remap

?900 ish for a FMIC fitted

?1000 ish for rebuilt gearbox with LSD

?800-1600 for brakes

?500-1500 for suspension upgrades

?500 ish for water injection

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Right I don't want to do this, as it'll probably scare me.

Full miltek including cats ?960 when I bought it

Eibach prokit springs dampers and arb's ?500+ ?100 front ARB fitting. Did the rest myself.

18" superleggeras ?600 including tryes (second hand) need them to put the power down. + spacers + bolts ?50

Brembo junior GT kit with uprated pads ?785 fitted.

Front mounted intercooler ?750

Uprated clutch/flywheel, peloquin diff and fitting ?1500

Carbonio ?100 (second hand off tabs)

IHI kit from Jabba ?2000+ ?180 for larger exhaust housing

Fitting ?500

Revo remap ?575 +?299 for sps3

Water injection ?300 + ?75 fitting

Large port head ?375

Pollishing porting ?375

Single piece valves ?240

Pauter rods ?400

tt Pistons free. (thanks Ed)

Fitting of head rods etc ?500-750(guess as still to be done)

Total so far ?11150 and some small change.

This doesn't include the fact that I've spent more on other things that are no longer on the car, and doesn't take into account how much I've blagged things cheap/trade/cash sale/free.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 02/02/2005 13:59:44

Right I don't want to do this, as it'll probably scare me.

Full miltek including cats ?960 when I bought it

Eibach prokit springs dampers and arb's ?500+ ?100 front ARB fitting. Did the rest myself.

18" superleggeras ?600 including tryes (second hand) need them to put the power down. + spacers + bolts ?50

Brembo junior GT kit with uprated pads ?785 fitted.

Front mounted intercooler ?750

Uprated clutch/flywheel, peloquin diff and fitting ?1500

Carbonio ?100 (second hand off tabs)

IHI kit from Jabba ?2000+ ?180 for larger exhaust housing

Fitting ?500

Revo remap ?575 +?299 for sps3

Water injection ?300 + ?75 fitting

Large port head ?375

Pollishing porting ?375

Single piece valves ?240

Pauter rods ?400

tt Pistons free. (thanks Ed)

Fitting of head rods etc ?500-750(guess as still to be done)

Total so far ?11150 and some small change.

This doesn't include the fact that I've spent more on other things that are no longer on the car, and doesn't take into account how much I've blagged things cheap/trade/cash sale/free.

[:D]

should have started with an AGU [:D] looks like some of that will be in the next bill if i get a 1.9 rebuild

what are you going to set the rev limit at with the large port head and the single peice valves ?

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
7500 for the moment.

Power still peaks in the high 6's then drops away, and if you change up at 7500, it drops you back to 6000, so just before the power peak. Extending the revs is where all the damage is going to occur long term.

The valves are just insurance against grenading the pistons/rods if a 2 piece one falls apart.

To start with a AGU, I'd have had to have bought a ropey old car though [:D]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 02/02/2005 14:55:13

To start with a AGU, I'd have had to have bought a ropey old car though [:D]

You forgot the /flamesuit-on before that comment. AGU rules, connection path = brain - foot - pedal - cable - butterfly. No wires or second brains getting in the way [:p]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 02/02/2005 15:44:31

You forgot the /flamesuit-on before that comment. AGU rules, connection path = brain - foot - pedal - cable - butterfly. No wires or second brains getting in the way [:p]

But they also lack a map sensor, so rely on Maf more heavily, and we know how good they are, plus have a lot less processing power in the ECU. I think I'm building the perfect compromise. The best bits of the AGU (head), but improved, with more up to date engine management (vvt, map, injectors that can go over 16ms etc)

No brains get in the way of my throttle opening. (mine or the cars)[8D]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 02/02/2005 15:50:46

But they also lack a map sensor, so rely on Maf more heavily, and we know how good they are, plus have a lot less processing power in the ECU. I think I'm building the perfect compromise. The best bits of the AGU (head), but improved, with more up to date engine management (vvt, map, injectors that can go over 16ms etc)

No brains get in the way of my throttle opening. (mine or the cars)[8D]

OK so in essence you are saying that us old timers are thick, old and clunky (well worn bushes do that) - LOL [^]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 02/02/2005 16:47:00

OK so in essence you are saying that us old timers are thick, old and clunky (well worn bushes do that) - LOL [^]

I guess that covers it![:p]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 02/02/2005 16:50:30

Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 02/02/2005 16:47:00

I guess that covers it![:p]

Right then poke in the eye for you at Inters then [:D]

That is enough off topic.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by RS2002 on 02/02/2005 16:47:25

So Imran, which arm and leg, is it going to be? [;)]

pmsl erm would they accept a kidney? lol nah i got a plan! i got a different turbo in mind! [:D]

·
Registered
126 Posts
11500 quid you are having a laugh, so say from new the car costs 18 grand plus 11500 you are looking near enough 30 grand you could of got a nice m3 or something abit classier than a golf. dont get me wrong i love my golf but if someone gave me 30 grand and said buy a car and do what ever you wnt to it i would not be getting a golf.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote: posted by imran on 02/02/2005 17:47:47

Quote: posted by RS2002 on 02/02/2005 16:47:25

So Imran, which arm and leg, is it going to be? [;)]

pmsl erm would they accept a kidney? lol nah i got a plan! i got a different turbo in mind! [:D]

Jabba conversion is good value for money... it doesn't change the other bits and pieces if you choose a different turbo upgrade

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote: posted by dazzer-b on 02/02/2005 18:43:56

11500 quid you are having a laugh, so say from new the car costs 18 grand plus 11500 you are looking near enough 30 grand you could of got a nice m3 or something abit classier than a golf. dont get me wrong i love my golf but if someone gave me 30 grand and said buy a car and do what ever you wnt to it i would not be getting a golf.

you don't do it all in one go so its not that simple and you don't do it to a brand new car ... and alot of the stuff on Wilkos list isn't even on his car yet and also includes stuff like wheels etc

btw its quicker than an m3

[:D]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote: posted by dazzer-b on 02/02/2005 18:43:56

Nail on the head. I was looking at going down the big turbo route as well - however, once I had weighed up what exactly would be involved what with all the incurred expense, and risk of problematic issues (since I needed a reliable daily-driver for work) it was quickly dismissed and I saved for an E46 M3 instead. Not bashing these guys with big turbo setups, they have awesome sleeper cars, but horses for courses and all that. To me, my Golf is a great, nippy city-car, but it's never gonna evolve from that. The Mk4 chassis is way too flawed for my liking to ever compete with the real contenders - sorry if I upset with that comment. You can uprate the suspension, but the sheer dynamics of the hatch would limit the top speed with incurred drag and worst of all, the weak floor-pan [have you jacked the car up, and opened the door? The chassis twists and you cannot close the door until you drop it back on the ground!!] is the real Achilles heel for me. Still for straight-line speed I?m sure the acceleration must be a rush! [:)]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts