Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ignition key is stuck in my cars ignition. I'm at work at the moment, so the car is safe.

I found this thread

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/332309/2241585.aspx

on removing the ignition barrel.

Presumably once I remove the barrel I should be able to figure out what's wrong and make a temporary or permanent repair.

If anyone else has has this problem I would appreciate any input before I attack my car.

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Not much help and a bit of a long shot, but you haven't got an auto have you?

The only time this happened to me in our V5 auto is when I turned off with it in neutral - it would only give me the key when I moved it to park.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an auto.

I did start the car, drive forward a bit and then reversed and finally put it in park, to no avail.

I'll give it another go before I start taking the car apart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the barrel out, but I can't see anything wrong with it.

The key comes out easily as it should,

However if it's only slightly off from the 'zero' position the key won't come out.

My car's an auto. Can someone else with an auto compare the position of their key in the zero position with the car in Park and in Drive, or feel if there's a little movement when the transmission is moved (with engine off, of course) between Park and Drive. If there's a slight difference in the positions, my problem probably lies within the ignition assembly itself rather than the key barrel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I fixed it!

After removing the steering wheel and barrel I was poking around the igintion with a screwdriver. I moved the gear lever from Park to Drive and as I did so I noticed a little stone. The stone was preventing the lever from going fully into Park! [doh]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts