Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was....... driving into Leeds on a Saturday night after a
cruising on the M1 for a couple of hours! My car was feeling nice as a few
hours of motorway driving opens up the engine/exaust a little...

People who know Leeds know its surrounded by Dual carrigeways,lights etc.....

I was at the lights when a MK5 pulls up fast beside me. A little ahead of me. Music thumping
through what sounded like a standard stereo.....you know that sound!

Get a couple of looks from the driver......

Baseball cap but worn like a chav (cap point way high)........he could
have been a chav but he was drving a MK5 so I gave hime some respect of
course.....But then again it could have been his daddys company car the
way he pulled up next to me.

He gives me a look a again to see if I wanted a go(fast) from the
lights. Now hes revving his engine and looking at my wheels. Probably
trying to work out what I'm driving.......I raised to the bait like a
fool......

His MK5 had hub caps so couldnt be more then a 1.6
or a standard TDI etc......

We both floor it...from the amber light.........Hes already a quarter of a car length infront as
he was at the lights. So I leave my 1.8T in first gear all the way till
5K......drop into second and pass him silly......... and hes in my rear
view mirror (bye I'm thinking).........I reach 60 as quick as a 1.8T can and slow down as:

A. The wifes complaining and

B. I just rode into town and didnt want to be taken in by the sherrif!

A couple of seconds later this nut in his MK5 who Ive just beaten from
the lights is right up my arse horning and flashing.......so I'm
thinking god what now.........I slow down to 40 (speed limit) and let
im pass......he decides to cut me up. He slows down infront of me and
making all kinds of signs.....braking like a monkey would in a
car.........anyway drop a cog and leave him again.....dont see him
after that as I think hes turning came. But my question is why???? I
left him cleanly at the lights, didnt cut him up or anything.....so I'm
still trying to work out why become an a - hole and decide to road rage
me?? Will make me think twice when I decide to take on a traffic light
challenge.

Theres my storey - otherwise had a great weekend!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Same reason as when you beep someone to stop them crashing there car by
letting them know your there, they then think that the beep meant oy
come here and fight me at the side of the road!

Idiots the lot of them

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Some people just don't like being beaten. Prob best just to let them get on with it and not race them really.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sadly not restricted to the UK - there is a particular breed of French driver that just cannot stomach being overtaken. I cannot for the life of me find any logic, perverse or otherwise, to explain this behaviour - an example: coming home from Toulouse, as one leaves the conglomeration, the four lane National narrows into a two single lanes, one each way (!) - nothing unreasonable - bags of warning signs etc. I've been in the fast lane for a while, passing numerous people with no problem as we're all on our way home. Come to where the road starts to get narrower and I, not unreasonably, overtake the last car and tuck myself in just as the road finally becomes a single carriageway. From that moment on, until the a**hole behind me turns off 5 klms later, there's flashing, honking, 'bras d'honneur' - and I ask myself why? He was probably doing 90 (the legal limit) and I most certainly didn't cut him up - I was simply going faster and I overtook him, safely if not legally. After a while the flashing gets me down so I flash my brake lights - red rag time - he tries to drive into my boot - what a wan**r. Slowing down to see what he will do is no better, he slows down too - doesn't even attempt to overtake.

Contrary to what people may think, the majority of French drivers, whilst forgetting that indicators exist, aren't too bad - IMHO !

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly not restricted to the UK - there is a
particular breed of French driver that just cannot stomach being
overtaken. I cannot for the life of me find any logic, perverse or
otherwise, to explain this behaviour - an example: coming home from
Toulouse, as one leaves the conglomeration, the four lane National
narrows into a two single lanes, one each way (!) - nothing
unreasonable - bags of warning signs etc. I've been in the fast lane
for a while, passing numerous people with no problem as we're all on
our way home. Come to where the road starts to get narrower and I, not
unreasonably, overtake the last car and tuck myself in just as the road
finally becomes a single carriageway. From that moment on, until the
a**hole behind me turns off 5 klms later, there's flashing, honking,
'bras d'honneur' - and I ask myself why? He was probably doing 90 (the
legal limit) and I most certainly didn't cut him up - I was simply
going faster and I overtook him, safely if not legally. After a while
the flashing gets me down so I flash my brake lights - red rag time -
he tries to drive into my boot - what a wan**r. Slowing down to see
what he will do is no better, he slows down too - doesn't even attempt
to overtake.

Contrary to what people may think, the majority of French drivers,
whilst forgetting that indicators exist, aren't too bad - IMHO !
Its the age old symptom .......people get in their car and think the road is theirs also....

What Ian32 mentioned about being overtaken is a classic. Happened last
night driving back from Leeds!!!! There I was crusing at 10mph above
what I should have been doing......Open motorway nearly and pass this
lovely old lady in her SLK. making sure I dont cut her up or anything I
proceed and get into the middle lane in front of her as something
faster is approcing from behind. I did no way cut her up and was about
4/5 cars woth infromt of her now. What does mrs SLK do, floor it and
get infront of me just to prove a point - why...... she couldnt have a
Golf overtake her Mercedes........

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Fantastic reading [:D]

I had an issue saturday night crusing up the M6 to Ikea with an FTO, anyway, I showed him who was his daddy, only for him to get off at J9 with me, pull up along side, rev his rice rocket beyond the red line & then shoot off.

I almost crashed for laughing[:D]

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's just that some drivers have very small genitalia. And as such, don't like being overtaken.

I drive a lowly 1.4 Match - not the hottest hatch on the road, but I cruise at about 105. As such, I overtake quite a few cars on the way to/from work.

Most car drivers recognise that their car CAN go fater than mine, but they drive at their speed - it's not a willy waving competition. But some (chavs) think I'm up for a race, sit on my rear bumber and flash.

As I say, I know my car's limits, I pull over and let them pass, so they stand on their anchors. Wow, so your car has better top speeds than mine? I really don't care - I like my car, it does what I want.

And at the end of the day, I don't feel silly at the urinal ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just love the twerps that are turning right in to a road with a T junction. They turn in way too early, cut who ever is going up the T as it is seen here, you brake hard, they give a look as 'what did I do wrong' and then generally give you dodgy looks of it was me in the wrong even though they were on wrong side of road. If I ever had an accident like that, the Police would be called and cars not moved. I really should replace the disposable camera I normally keep in the car in case of accidents.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's just that some drivers have very small genitalia. And as such, don't like being overtaken.

I drive a lowly 1.4 Match - not the hottest hatch on the road, but I
cruise at about 105. As such, I overtake quite a few cars on the
way to/from work.

Most car drivers recognise that their car CAN go fater than mine,
but they drive at their speed - it's not a willy waving
competition. But some (chavs) think I'm up for a race, sit on my
rear bumber and flash.

As I say, I know my car's limits, I pull over and let them pass, so
they stand on their anchors. Wow, so your car has better top
speeds than mine? I really don't care - I like my car, it does
what I want.

And at the end of the day, I don't feel silly at the urinal ;)

On a flip note
-

there are some good guys out there.....Reminds me of driving up to Leeds on staurday!!!!

The Mway emptied out after Bham etc and it was nice and 'safe' to touch
125/130...... I was crusing along at 90 and passd this lovely cab
M3...Sounding so sweet. He gets into the right lane when Im quite a
fair past him - (Spot his Xenons). Anyway I do the honerable thing and
let him pass.......Later on I see him again and pass at 130.......not
chasing him in particlular.........

Now a complete idiot would floor his M3 and try to pass me again but he
didnt and I respected him for that. I knew what his car could
do....HE knew too. There were some points where we both were
touching 135 and drving sensibly. NOT racing. I respected that. He knew
he could leave me silly. but it was cool to cruise........

I hope that makes sense.........

·
Registered
383 Posts
Leeds is full of chavs, i just don't bother with em, just tootle along at my own speed. Best bet is just let em past, and let em go have a crash with a tree on their own.

I've only just noticed how bad it is after my holls on the wets coast of scotland, where the roads ARE fast, the locals don't hang about either, but there isn't any pratting about or chavs to be seen.

I say bring back national service!![:D]

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hadn't been back to the UK for a while (9 years!!) when I visited last year and discovered something new (for me) - variable speed lanes on the M25. This is open to all sorts of lane hogging etc. and I think I came across most of it driving from Gatwick to Hounslow! One thing that really surprised me was the number of people who just sit in the 'fast' right hand (overtaking) lane with traffic drifting past them on the supposedly 'slower' inside lanes. As this was a totally new experience I didn't have a clue as to who was legal and who wasn't (still don't) but it did seem a little odd to hog the whole rh lane...I was always taught not to undertake, as it was called, and I still adhere to this - in fact my eldest daughter failed her driving test in Bordeaux for 'undertaking' when in fact the lorry she was driving alongside decided to slow down! Can't win...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Leeds is full of chavs, i just don't bother with em, just tootle along at my own speed. Best bet is just let em past, and let em go have a crash with a tree on their own.

I've only just noticed how bad it is after my holls on the wets coast of scotland, where the roads ARE fast, the locals don't hang about either, but there isn't any pratting about or chavs to be seen.

I say bring back national service!![:D]
Being a Scot I can say that in general we have our fair share of Chavs...but we call them neds. Usual thing the baseball cap, greasy hair, tracksuit etc... but as vrooom was saying the west coast is different. Great roads, fast drivers and a general good attitude. If you ever go to Scotland stay away from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Get yourself up to the highlands and drive on some mad roads.

Grievsey

·
Registered
685 Posts
My mate keeps going on & on about how good the roads are in scotland! How come there so great? Whats the deal?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mate keeps going on & on about how good the roads are in scotland! How come there so great? Whats the deal?
I think they have different rules there? Or the Scots have adopted them anyway........sod the English we re driving how we wanna drive!

·
Registered
602 Posts
They are every where, i had the same thing on saturday.

I was driving home through a built up area and could see up ahead loads of young kids playing footy on the grass at the side of the road, so i made sure i was driving at 30 (the speed limit) and some chav came up behind me in a renault clio and was about 2" off my rear bumper litterally couldnt see the front of his car it was like he was sitting in the back seat of mine.

Anyway the road opens up after the village to a national speed limit so i put my foot down and am doing about 80 to try and open up a bit of space between us, but this idiot stay about a metre behind me.

When i took my turning off the road i looked in the mirror to see him giving me the kenco coffee sign???

I wanted to chase after him and beat him half to death to teach him not to be such an idiot but i thought best not too :)

What his problem with my driving was i'll never know

·
Registered
674 Posts
With my old job I used to have to travel many motorway miles up and down the country (usually from Basingstoke upto Accrington)...25,000+ in less then 4 months clocked up.

The M6 North of Birmingham at the right time of day used to be pretty quiet, and this was just before the toll road was open. Usually I cruised along at 85mph in my last 1,8T GTi. When something came up behind me I would let it go in front and usually follow it at a safe distance. What I learnt was some cars knew you were just tagging onto the back of them (ie - not racing) and others used to think you were "up for a rip"..

Funnily enough it always seemed to be the newer Jap cars that knew what I was doing - Evos, Scoobies etc. After a few miles, they would pull over and I would slide past for them to sit behind me.. I remember doing one trip and joined up with a very nice yellow Evo 8. He pointed out his rader detector on his dash and we cruised up at about 99mph along a very empty road, slowing when the traffic got a little heavy.......after 2 hours of this, we both pulled into the service station and had a cuppa coffee and a really interesting car chat. The bloke was in the same industry and me (IT) and was driving to see the same customer....

Speed is not a killer, lack of respect for it is....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Anyway the road opens up after the village to a national speed limit so i put my foot down and am doing about 80 to try and open up a bit of space between us, but this idiot stay about a metre behind me.
You let him keep up with you?

Excuse my ignorance, whats a Kenco coffee sign?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts